• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Man, I wanted this bad. I'd never seen one of these before. I thought the price was a little "stiff" and made him a little better offer which was turned down promptly so I let him take it home. I'm sure it didn't sell and will remind him next show when he brings it again   :devil:

IMG_2093.jpg

:applause:Great report and pics as usual RM! Wish there was a NYC show of this kind (more advertising and vintage toy heavy). Cool Superman piece. Let us know if you score it :wishluck:

9 minutes ago, sagii said:

:applause:Great report and pics as usual RM! Wish there was a NYC show of this kind (more advertising and vintage toy heavy). Cool Superman piece. Let us know if you score it :wishluck:

Used to be Atlantic City. But I think eBay killed that one. I believe Allentown, PA  has a great toy show.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This was awsome and also made a fair offer that was turned down. I can't blame him because it was was gone an hour later...

IMG_2103.jpg

Super cool report, RM! I always like seeing the cream on top. Too bad about the poster, but I know I have too much stuff to hang and too little wall space, so I KNOW you have that problem tenfold. Still...

And, yes, too bad about the Supes puzzles, but it's just not all that much fun paying retail sometimes. A great piece to be sure.

How much were you asking for your Merry Milkman? I have Police Patrol (my fave of the three) and Fearless Fireman, but somehow I'm still lacking the most widely known of the trio. Of course, if I bring home one more 3-D item and my wife catches me, ol' PopK and his Police Patrol will be looking for an underpass, but that's beside the point. (2-D items I've still got a little wiggle room on. Still, it's funny how quickly those 2-D-ish pulps or paperbacks turn into another longbox or bankers box.)

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

IMG_2104.jpg

Is this the guy with all the vintage clothing? He always has one of these advertising figures. Mike might be his name? Sometimes he brings an entire case of drool-worthy Batman merch to the Chicagoland Show.

If I had my druthers, I'd have way more clothing, but I've never been too lucky finding vintage bowling shirts and the like in the wild - the hipsters have been one step ahead of me for decades on that! Again, I have more than I can display at once - a few bowling shirts, softball jerseys, vintage denim FFA jackets, etc - so what am I really complaining about....  (shrug)

Edited by PopKulture

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Man, I wanted this bad. I'd never seen one of these before. I thought the price was a little "stiff" and made him a little better offer which was turned down promptly so I let him take it home. I'm sure it didn't sell and will remind him next show when he brings it again   :devil:

IMG_2093.jpg

very,very rare...hope you get...once in lifetime on that one

15 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Is this the guy with all the vintage clothing? He always has one of these advertising figures. Mike might be his name? Sometimes he brings an entire case of drool-worthy Batman merch to the Chicagoland Show.

If I had my druthers, I'd have way more clothing, but I've never been too lucky finding vintage bowling shirts and the like in the wild - the hipsters have been one step ahead of me for decades on that! Again, I have more than I can display at once - a few bowling shirts, softball jerseys, vintage denim FFA jackets, etc - so what am I really complaining about....  (shrug)

Yes, same guy. I also took a picture of is display case with the MAD model and Honey West figure. He usually has a box of aggressively priced comics too. I like to look at his stuff but have never bought anything.

I too, like vintage clothes. My jones are vintage western shirts. You know pearl snap buttons and hand embroidered cacti, larriots and cowboys. I like the 1950's Nudies ones. I got several of my dad's and have bought a few more. Cars, motorcycles and raceway vintage stuff and jackets. Gotton pretty pricey now days. The second Sunday Rose Bowl flea market has a huge area of nothing but vintage clothes. I try to stay outta there as much as possible...

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The couple next to me were selling her mom's 50 year collection of stuff. Toys, advertising and this stuff which you all know I love. Was a little "late to the party" because I was setting up but did manage to snag these. All priced ultra cheap from about $8-$15. each. I don't know how they were over looked but they had tons of them. Hopefully, I will have the last laugh though as they told me it was only about half of them. I plan to hook up with them in a few weeks and hope to really pile up some more. Most of you guys couldn't care less I'm sure, but I expect a couple of boardies will be familiar with some of this.

All, in all a GREAT show for me. As cold as I said it is out here right now, I hear high 70's for next Sunday at Terry's show next Sunday. Hope to see a bunch of you guys there!

pinbacks:clickers.jpg

Wonderful stuff.  Thanks for posting the photos.  I guess these shows are kind of like living Hake's catalogs. 

It was a great show and even though it  lightly snowed on the Grapevine, Brenda and I made it safely home. For sheer mind-boggling displays of

toys and popular culture, the American Collectors Show in Glendale is one of the best.  There were a lot more comics this time, and I was able

to pick up a Firestone Donald and Mickey giveaway, and the first appearance of Gyro Gearloose and The Beagle Boys in Disney's Comics and

Stories for my own collecting pursuits. Thanks for sharing the report and pics , Bob. Enjoy your books. Your booth was a continuation of the wonderful items

many people enjoy from your pics on the boards. See you at Wondercon in March.  Mark

Well, Terry’s Show has come and gone. I look forward to it and it ends so fast. Just a beyond epic day with so many great boardies sharing just awesome books. Boxes are light and my back is sore. So, I will wait until tomorrow to post my report with lots of pictures. Here is how the day started bright and early.

0F0832D8-0BEE-4D9F-8D9E-20833D44A47F.jpeg

3122714C-1FA0-44CA-BBA2-89B27A5DF215.jpeg

As promised, here is my report on Terry's show with a couple of pictures...

From a "Dealers" perspective... I do very few all comic book shows in a year but I wouldn't miss this one. There are all kinds of buyers in the room. The "big fish" chasing a latest high dollar/high grade gems to the lower end of the spectrum, the box divers and guys with long want lists wanting to go home with a pile. Although, I always have a decent selection of nice books, I have a lot of lessor books that are still quite cool that I pick up in my travels. This is what I bring the most of. It pays off in spades for me usually. I have a bunch of guys that hit me first when they get in and they buy piles of 1/2 price SA and obscure cheap GA. The big guys have an eye on the wall and are trying to get me to sell the "pretty stuff" for a quick flip deal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I had incredible sales all day long. At first it was two deep to hit the boxes. I was taking money as fast as I could. About 3-4 hours solid. I sold some pretties too. A real nice Uncle Scrooge in the 8.0 range and a decent copy of Fight against Crime #20 were the first casulities, the rest is kinda a blur.

From a "Buyers" perspective... I went with a full wallet of cash but just kind of struck out for the most part. I did get some real nice books but I had to be there early and work for them. I saw a lot of stuff I would pay VERY well for but man, some of the prices were just out of sight. I suspect, some of those dealers didn't do quite as well. Usually, I find something pretty that I can't stop thinking about and go back for it. This time, I just passed and moved on. And, I don't feel bad about it. There are several dealers that price their stuff fair and will work with you. Those are the guys I spent my money with. Having to set up, I missed a lot, but the guys I passed on I heard were REAL pricey. I'm not cheap but I'm not crazy either...

A very packed show with lots of folks traveling from all over the country and Canada. I saw a TON of boardies. Many came over and introduced themselves, I'm sure they were quite a few that did not. Many I already knew and many I just met yesterday officially. A great and very passionate group of guys. I can't think of much I'd rather do in life than go to a show with you guys. I have a lot of pictures of you guys. Please forgive me if I forgot your name or get it wrong. It was an insane day and I'm not real good with names anyway. Terry worked his keester off to accomodate everybody. I can't imagine how hard it would be to put this on. Like a huge party at his house. Thanks so much Terry, already can't wait until next year!

Here's a couple of crowd shots from my booth just to show how many people were there.

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

One of my first stops was my pal Jamie Graham. Had to help him with his wall when it started coming down. Fun flipping those high grade Timelys, and DC while we held it up.He rewarded me with a great price of this Four Favorites #30. Sooo hard to find these especially in real nice shape. Looks like he had a hard night at the "dealer preview" the night before...

Here's a couple of shots of the wall I rescued. What's with the 3 copies of Duck Album???

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg