• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

Well, at least you know what the Captain Atom rings look like if you see one.

Phantom rings? There have been a lot of them over the years, and the older metal ones still turn up, but THE rarest are the rubber ones - ink them up and put the Phantom's "bad" mark of  the skull on all your friends' faces. Even then, there are two rubber models, one that's "normal" and the other that has the skull "on its side" so to speak. They are rare because the rubber perished on so many of them. Hakes auctioned a normal one a while back Linky

Screenshot_2018-08-18 Hake's - RARE PHANTOM AUSTRALIAN RUBBER INK STAMP RING .png

All American Collector’s show in the books. Sold a lot of stuff and did real well. The heavy hitters show up on Friday and they were swinging pretty good in my booth. Tomorrow will probably be a few big sales and hopefully a ton of the lower end crowd. No disrespect to them. They are my bread and butter and buy the stuff I don’t want anyway.

Comic collectors were rabid dogs. Any pile or box has numerous sharks hitting them.

Saw boardie Dreamtoreal (Pablo) today. Good to see you buddy!

11DAE151-FC4D-422B-8BE6-9F5AC7D6D804.jpeg

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

All American Collector’s show in the books. Sold a lot of stuff and did real well. The heavy hitters show up on Friday and they were swinging pretty good in my booth. Tomorrow will probably be a few big sales and hopefully a ton of the lower end crowd. No disrespect to them. They are my bread and butter and buy the stuff I don’t want anyway.

Comic collectors were rabid dogs. Any pile or box has numerous sharks hitting them.

Saw boardie Dreamtoreal (Pablo) today. Good to see you buddy!

11DAE151-FC4D-422B-8BE6-9F5AC7D6D804.jpeg

Good to see you Bob! And thanks ??for the tips. I had lotta fun! Going back there today

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, Robot Man said:

Bumped into an old wayward Boardie Billy in the art room. He sends us all his best regards!

F663E56F-565E-49F6-B0E9-8EFD31829634.jpeg

I thought Pons posted under the name of ciorac?

Edited by BB-Gun

On 7/23/2017 at 5:43 PM, Robot Man said:

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

I have been collecting since the early '60's. I first bought Batman and DC war comics off the stands in the late '50's. When Marvel comics first came out I started buying them as well. I wouldn't say I "collected" them at this time but searched out and bought them every month as they came out.

I remember my Grandpa buying me MAD #72. I read it to bits and when #73 came out I bought it as well. This has continued until this day. I would trade with kids in the neighborhood for any earlier issues I didn't have. What turned me into a "collector" was the day my dad took me to Cherokee books in Hollywood. There, thumbtacked to the wall in a bag was MAD #9. It looked so different but I had to have it. I gave Bert Blum $2.00 for it. This was the only time I ever paid more than cover price for a comic. I was hooked and made many trips with my dad to Cherokee, Collector's Book Store and Bond Street Books around the corner adding to my ever growing stash.

I hit all the used book stores I could ride my bike to. When I could drive, I started hitting a bigger area as well as garage sales and flea markets like the Rose Bowl grabbing all the old comics I could find. I especially loved the EC line and old pre-code horror comics. One day at the Rose Bowl I spotted a big tin battery opperated robot. The price was right and I just couldn't put down that cool blank stared face. So in addition to comics I found myself looking for old space and comic character toys, pinback buttons and premiums. The rest as they say is history... So now I live in a house full of comics, toys, premiums, advertising stuff rock 'n roll items and other symbols of "Americana".

As you can see my collection is very diverse and my interests are wide. I see many of what you have collected and share your love for this stuff. Hopefully, I can use this thread to share some my stuff and experience in the hobby. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" the most in collecting. I am not really a condition freak although over the years I've found my share of high grade stuff. A lot of my stuff might be in lower grade than what I see here, but I get what I can get and love to find unusual or scarce items. I will happily take a lower grade book than not have it all.

I might be a newbie to the boards, but am a veteran collector. Please be patient with me as I get started and hopefully we can all have a little fun!

scoopcomics1.jpg

scoopcomics2.jpg

comicbooks.jpg

premiums_pinbacks.jpg

supermanpuzzle.jpg

brogershelmet1.jpg

pinbacks.jpg

madstuff.jpg

rayguns.jpg

spacetoys.jpg

robots.jpg

vehicletoys.jpg

charactertoys.jpg

comicbookpremiums.jpg

vehicletoys.jpg

The Beard is here. Yep, this looks like your house. Have you ever mentioned your wife Cindy is a collector in her own right, but not anything we are into. Stieff bears, Tiffany, etc. Can you imagine what their house looks like? Bob's collectibles in some areas and Cindy's collectibles in other areas. A VERY COOL house to say the least.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, mlansdown said:

Hi Robot Man,

Add me to the long list of admirers for your collection of comic memorabilia! 

I see that you have an eye for quality comic pinbacks - allow me to shamelessly plug my comic pinback website (www.pinbacks.com) where I have documented almost 1000 comic pinbacks from the 1890s to the 1950s. 

Let me know if there are any comic pinbacks you need for your collection - I love to buy, sell, and trade these little bits of celluloid, metal, and paper!

Thanks...

Hi Mark! I remember your wonderful website. I’m pretty complete on my pinback collection. The ones I need I’ll probably never find but always fun to try...

19 hours ago, Redbeard said:

The Beard is here. Yep, this looks like your house. Have you ever mentioned your wife Cindy is a collector in her own right, but not anything we are into. Stieff bears, Tiffany, etc. Can you imagine what their house looks like? Bob's collectibles in some areas and Cindy's collectibles in other areas. A VERY COOL house to say the least.

Thanks for looking in here Ron.

Yeah, my wife had a huge collection of pre-1930 Steiff stuffed teddy bears and animals. A couple years ago, she sold off most of her collection st the top of the market. Smart girl. She did keep some cool stuff though. She has the only black model they ever made. Steiff made about 200 in 1912 for the surviving kids on the Titanic. Her’s came with a couple of letters and a picture of the little girl. She also has some Margarett Steiff hand written letters and an autographed photo inscribed to a German political figure in the 1920’s. Her signature is very rare unlike Stan lee’s :roflmao:

She no longer really collects anymore but is a kind of high end antique dealer. Boring stuff like art pottery, silver, paintings and Tiffany lamps and items. Pays off for me sometimes when she runs into my kind of stuff. :insane:

Edited by Robot Man

What a weekend. I’m “Junk drunk”... Two day All American Collector’s show selling buying and up at 4:00 at the flea market trying to spend some of my new cash.

Didn’t see Carbo or any of his “million dollar” comics B|. I don’t know who wrote that “fake news”, it certainly wasn’t the promoter who is a long time friend. There were comics and a ton of young comic sharks prowling every old lady’s small pile or box. I turned a guy I know onto a FF4 #5 and an Avengers #4. I don’t care enough about SA to pay the asking price. Saw a very over price Tec #69 (Joker cover). I got a few cool way underpriced GAs including a couple more that were walk up customers that know I like old books. I didn’t bring any comics as I want to get rid of some “other stuff”.

I did real well. A little slow at times but moved a lot of toys and advertising stuff for pretty good prices. An interesting observation, there were a lot more younger people there pulling out their wallets. A good sign for a “dying business”. Still strong for the right material. These people were educated on what they wanted and had no problem paying up. They got the best deals from me. I want them coming back. Sure made up for the old snarly lowballers that showed up. I even had to kick one out of my booth. 

This is the premier show for this kind of stuff in LA. So many jaw dropping pieces. A lot of out of state dealers showed up with their best stuff. Another good sign. You owe it to yourself to attend especially if you are local. 

Eye candy pics coming up!

Edited by Robot Man

A few cool advertising items.

I bought this killer 1930’s Bluebird Records 78 rpm record metal store display first thing in a morning for a VERY great price. Such a rare item. This company recorded most of the early blues and hillbilly artists. Got a local very pocket record executive in mind for this one. :devil:

0CF1433A-9657-4D73-86DA-DF4BC6726108.jpeg

38B4DBE0-EC5C-4419-87F4-CA04343F4DCD.jpeg

E56B92D4-8D05-4E88-B9F1-506A5470CDDF.jpeg