• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

PCC is real hit and miss. The fact that it is a free show brings in a lot of cheap buyers. Thus, cheaper merchandise. My odds are better because I look for lots of different stuff. I have several times left with nothing. But I have also scored. I never know. 

The Long Beach show is better but still pretty junky. A lot bigger so your odds are better. Like all of them, quality has gone down hill. I sell there and usually do pretty well because I have better stuff. Still a lot of cheaper, un-educated buyers. But the higher end buyers make up for it.

Rose Bowl is probably the best one. I have found the buyers to be more savvy, educated and willing to spend more when I sell there. I have had the best luck with comics there over the years. Yeah, it costs to get in (especially early) but when you score that great piece, that is soon forgotten. 

There are several smaller shows on the 4th Sunday. I have been lucky at the Santa Monica Airport and Torrance but not as much. That is usually my weekend off unless, I’m just worked up to buy junk...

I have a network of most of the best dealers at these shows who save me stuff. So, suffice to say, a lot of the best stuff rarely makes it to the tables...

I'll give the Rose Bowl another shot. I also like to look at lots of non-comics stuff so any show I go to is fun and fascinating to see what people sell and for how much. As a kid back east it used to intrigue me how many people used to sell the old power pole glass insulators for $2 each. I could never understand why anyone would want them or what they would do with them. I saw none of those yesterday. My older brother is a big train nut and he would buy train lanterns and signage along with dinnerware. He's got an awesome display of railroad dinnerware at home from the long-defunct Jersey Central railroad. When someone puts together a nice collection of junk you can always appreciate it.

Yes, it always great to appreciate a great collection put together by a passionate collector. You can never learn too much in the junk business. Anybody see Collectors Call on MeTV last night? A new show featuring collectors of all genres. A fun learning experience. I bet it won’t be long before a comic book collection is featured. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody see Collectors Call on MeTV last night? A new show featuring collectors of all genres. A fun learning experience. I bet it won’t be long before a comic book collection is featured. 

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Was going through some recent flea market beaters and came across this from 1959. Who would have ever thought Superman’s secret identity was this guy? 

Sure messed up Lois!  :roflmao:

E3095CC1-77C0-4C16-84F2-59AFDC4AB62F.jpeg

Nice catch, knowing how much you like ol' Alfred E.  (thumbsu

Mailman just brought me something cool. I knew about and had this 1930's Tip Top Comics Booster pinback. But...I didn't know about this Comics on Parade Booster version until I spied it on the bay. Was more thanhappy to be the opening and winning bidder.

There aren't a whole lot of comic book club premiums I don't have or know about. This was an un-expected surprise!

Here is the pair together.

tiptop:parade buttons.jpg

Hit my favorite thrift shop. Nothing in the $6. Boxes this time. Did ask to see the “more expensive” stuff at the counter. Mostly GA/SA and boy was it expensive. These folks really have a bad case of “lazy eye”. You know when your eye tools to the right side of the guide without regard to condition. Had a fine issue of Weird Science Fantasy priced at $1K! They also had a coverless GL #1 from 1941 priced at $1,800 I think. Left empty handed...

3F7CF7AF-4974-4F16-AF98-25EEE192164C.jpeg

All in all, went home with nothing this time. Had a good day though. Although, this is how it looked when I got home and took the mongrels for their daily walk. And yes, it started to rain just as I took the turn to go down my street at the end...

EB605C84-09D3-4C74-BEA6-163E920B7692.jpeg

Sounds like you had a fun day.  What'd you get at Joe Jost’s?  We need a picture of lunch!

Love the narrow house.  But this beats it, the narrowest house in Valencia Spain (107 cm).

IMG_9320.thumb.JPG.a32c2852833deca41b18adf40f7947e5.JPG

IMG_9321.thumb.JPG.7d18d8c64b605f63622f807eaf4b6144.JPG

I recently posted my Tip Top Booster and Comics on Parade Booster pinbacks. Well another super rare comic book premium appeared in my mail box. From the same period and the same publisher. Around 1938 Tip Top Comics offered a set of send away “spinners”. They were cello tops with an arrow and a heavy lead weight in back with good luck symbols. Not sure what you were supposed to do with them. Probably told in an early issue of Tip Top that I don’t have.  I know of a Tarzan, Katzanjammer Kids, Ella Cinders and this one. Probably did one for every character in the book but these are the only ones I’ve seen. Didn’t know about this one. As much as I’d like the Tarzan, I’m happy to settle for this one for now. 

The search for elusive comic book premiums is a fun ride and on it goes...

A0215714-35CE-4F73-94F5-FE030B9157DF.jpeg

3B1773E7-46B0-44FE-99F6-7B09581CC562.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I recently posted my Tip Top Booster and Comics on Parade Booster pinbacks. Well another super rare comic book premium appeared in my mail box. From the same period and the same publisher. Around 1938 Tip Top Comics offered a set of send away “spinners”. They were cello tops with an arrow and a heavy lead weight in back with good luck symbols. Not sure what you were supposed to do with them. Probably told in an early issue of Tip Top that I don’t have.  I know of a Tarzan, Katzanjammer Kids, Ella Cinders and this one. Probably did one for every character in the book but these are the only ones I’ve seen. Didn’t know about this one. As much as I’d like the Tarzan, I’m happy to settle for this one for now. 

The search for elusive comic book premiums is a fun ride and on it goes...

A0215714-35CE-4F73-94F5-FE030B9157DF.jpeg

3B1773E7-46B0-44FE-99F6-7B09581CC562.jpeg

Nice pick-up!  I have the Katzenjammer Kids version of this spinner, and I've seen this one and the Tarzan spinner only a few times over the past 20-25 years.  This is exactly why I like pinbacks and celluloid advertising - I still get to see new things after decades of collecting!

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, Robot Man said:

How 'bout another sick little subset? Upside down dead guys...

Anybody got any more?

comcrime&justice7.jpg

comwarfury1.jpg

comfight31.jpg

comsuspense24.jpg

commenace11.jpg

Not sure how this guy could survive the Hangman but perhaps his diet helps.

1947642909_8bc54fa555_b.jpg