• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,101 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

No Ultra Man ? … I always liked that one. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Lots of Ultra Man too; there were dozens of cases of toys and I only shot five of them! There was tons of current Manga and a girls floor for Cosplay too! I may go to the store in Tokyo tonight as it is two JR stops up from our hotel. I can post some more photos if our friend @Robot Man doesn’t mind!

Oh no, I never mind seeing cool junk! Would like to see some Godzilla stuff. I was in Singapore about a year ago and saw a lot of local stuff. Market is so different over there.

I sell a lot of US stuff to the Japanese at the flea market. They are all over the place as to what they like. They seem very impulsive and visual. Often they are not real aware of what they buy, just if they like it. A couple of them have stores over there that they are buying for. I’m sure US stuff is VERY pricey there. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Oh no, I never mind seeing cool junk! Would like to see some Godzilla stuff. I was in Singapore about a year ago and saw a lot of local stuff. Market is so different over there.

I sell a lot of US stuff to the Japanese at the flea market. They are all over the place as to what they like. They seem very impulsive and visual. Often they are not real aware of what they buy, just if they like it. A couple of them have stores over there that they are buying for. I’m sure US stuff is VERY pricey there. 

They had a few US books but I didn’t look at them. The area we were in in Osaka was a place where they sold second hand American clothing for outrageous prices. Some of it looked right off the boat from China! If I get up to the other store tonight I’ll try to shoot pictures of some Godzilla and Ultraman stuff. Later in the week I’m meeting a friend for dinner near the park where all the cosplay kids hang out; that should be fun too. I haven’t seen much manga reading on the trains this trip; last time I was here over twenty years ago that seemed more prevalent. Like the US it’s all eyes on the smartphones instead!

17AD0DA6-6BEE-48C1-BA87-793BA5FD9519.jpeg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

30 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

They had a few US books but I didn’t look at them. The area we were in in Osaka was a place where they sold second hand American clothing for outrageous prices. Some of it looked right off the boat from China! If I get up to the other store tonight I’ll try to shoot pictures of some Godzilla and Ultraman stuff. Later in the week I’m meeting a friend for dinner near the park where all the cosplay kids hang out; that should be fun too. I haven’t seen much manga reading on the trains this trip; last time I was here over twenty years ago that seemed more prevalent. Like the US it’s all eyes on the smartphones instead!

17AD0DA6-6BEE-48C1-BA87-793BA5FD9519.jpeg

Looks like a street side flea market. The Japanese are all over vintage clothes here. I always sell them rock ' n roll t shirts, levis, car club jackets and any other hipster vintage clothes I can find. They even pay good money for old motorcycle helmets!

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

There are a few buyers in our area here in Chicagoland who buy for the Japanese market. They're ubiquitous with the early-morning flashlight crowd. I've heard one buyer has kiosks at the busy airports in Japan that feature Americana for sale. One day he might be buying every board game he sees, the next every vintage globe or what not. Paper and advertising is always hot with them, as are records and vintage clothing.   

9 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

There are a few buyers in our area here in Chicagoland who buy for the Japanese market. They're ubiquitous with the early-morning flashlight crowd. I've heard one buyer has kiosks at the busy airports in Japan that feature Americana for sale. One day he might be buying every board game he sees, the next every vintage globe or what not. Paper and advertising is always hot with them, as are records and vintage clothing.   

There is a great tradition with paper and filing and stamping little sheets. We just changed our Shinkansen reserved seats to a train one hour earlier and watching the exchange process was fascinating. While it is all done on a computer the old tickets needed to be shredded and new tickets issued along with another piece of paper that was stamped than filed in a little drawer indicating the change!

Hey Robot Man look at this group of robots I shot in Akihabara! Fun stuff.

77C4CBE4-D5EA-419E-8E06-FDC01AF4B1E0.thumb.jpeg.204c0746829d10665b9bf2668dc1d370.jpeg

I don’t know who this is but she must have been popular; reminds me a bit of Big Boy!

F5645E00-EBD5-48DD-B5DC-9112B0F386A7.thumb.jpeg.5511b704c4a6d702d36368f1fb5d749b.jpeg

Then there was this rack of current Ultraman figures in a discount store!

94A4E5EB-2914-4AC4-B153-618E894C4193.thumb.jpeg.a982fe9f2ca6c973b1a3aac104810085.jpeg

Akihabara is all anime and maid cafes these days; not too many models of trains or cars I remember from my last trip.

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I don’t know who this is but she must have been popular; reminds me a bit of Big Boy!

F5645E00-EBD5-48DD-B5DC-9112B0F386A7.thumb.jpeg.5511b704c4a6d702d36368f1fb5d749b.jpeg

Would you believe I can tie this to golden age american comics? That's Peko-chan, she's the mascot for Milky brand candy all the way back from 1950. She's definitely one of the most popular mascots, but would you believe she's a blatant rip off of an american ad? She was stolen from the Bird's Eye Kids from 1949. Coincidentally there was a coloring book published by Timely featuring the Bird's Eye Kids from 1950. (Sorry for hijacking your thread Robot Man I thought you might like the history.)

Peko-chan-1955.jpg

14897298938_f1dddaf1b3_b.jpg

birds-eye-orange-juice-merry.jpg

550387.jpg

Edited by AJLewandoski
Finger slipped

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hey Robot Man look at this group of robots I shot in Akihabara! Fun stuff.

77C4CBE4-D5EA-419E-8E06-FDC01AF4B1E0.thumb.jpeg.204c0746829d10665b9bf2668dc1d370.jpeg

Then there was this rack of current Ultraman figures in a discount store!

94A4E5EB-2914-4AC4-B153-618E894C4193.thumb.jpeg.a982fe9f2ca6c973b1a3aac104810085.jpeg

Akihabara is all anime and maid cafes these days; not too many models of trains or cars I remember from my last trip.

Great photos! Funny, I have all of them. And the only one I have a box for is the one they have it for. The Planet robot second from the right. It is one of my favorites. The last one on the right I have a box too. Although from the 1950’s, there was a small “find” of them many years ago. A guy at the Portland Antique show had a full case of 12. I split the case with a friend. Kept one and sold off the rest. Prices look a little aggressive but these rarely turn up any more and are more rare in Japan. They were mostly all exported and these people want their toys back now.

I was so into the robots I just noticed you taking the picture wearing a mask. I often see Asian people here wearing them. I kind of chuckle but with what is happening in that part of the world, I guess, sadly, it is now commonplace. Be very careful. As important as a mask is, wash your hands a lot or use hand sanitizer. Be safe mi amigo!

4 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

Would you believe I can tie this to golden age american comics? That's Peko-chan, she's the mascot for Milky brand candy all the way back from 1950. She's definitely one of the most popular mascots, but would you believe she's a blatant rip off of an american ad? She was stolen from the Bird's Eye Kids from 1949. Coincidentally there was a coloring book published by Timely featuring the Bird's Eye Kids from 1950. (Sorry for hijacking your thread Robot Man I thought you might like the history.)

Peko-chan-1955.jpg

14897298938_f1dddaf1b3_b.jpg

birds-eye-orange-juice-merry.jpg

550387.jpg

No problem with the hijack AJ. I was wondering about who that character is. I always like to learn things. I welcome this in this thread.

I thought she looked a bit familiar and have seen her as a Birds Eye character just forgot about it. Weird, but not really if you understand Japanese culture.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Great photos! Funny, I have all of them. And the only one I have a box for is the one they have it for. The Planet robot second from the right. It is one of my favorites. The last one on the right I have a box too. Although from the 1950’s, there was a small “find” of them many years ago. A guy at the Portland Antique show had a full case of 12. I split the case with a friend. Kept one and sold off the rest. Prices look a little aggressive but these rarely turn up any more and are more rare in Japan. They were mostly all exported and these people want their toys back now.

I was so into the robots I just noticed you taking the picture wearing a mask. I often see Asian people here wearing them. I kind of chuckle but with what is happening in that part of the world, I guess, sadly, it is now commonplace. Be very careful. As important as a mask is, wash your hands a lot or use hand sanitizer. Be safe mi amigo!

Glad you like the photos. The masks are ubiquitous here in Japan; probably 60% in Kyoto and about 90% in Tokyo. I live in a heavily Asian American suburb so I am used to seeing them. I suspect when we get home a lot more people will be wearing them and likely many caucasians as well. If you look at photos of the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak it won’t be a first in America. My Grandmother was a nurse in New York City during that pandemic and she said many people literally died in a day; and often the young. So far this virus does not seem as bad as that and hopefully remains that way.

It is literally all over the news here. A lot of it is obviously being blown up by the news media but still very serious none the less. 

There is also a situation whereby some stupid fools are thinking about moving a lot of the quarantined folks from I believe March Air Force base to an un-used hospital in Costa Mesa. As you know, this is a very densely populated area. You really have to wonder...

The stock market took one of it’s largest hits of all time yesterday due to this virus. 

This is nothing to take lightly and I sure hope they can contain and control this. Italy is now being pounded. 

I don’t live in fear and take as many precautions as I can but go on living my life. 

Enjoy your trip. I have been enjoying your posts!

Glad you like the posts. Yesterday we went to the Tokyo-Edo museum which explores the history of the city of Tokyo. I am in the middle of reading a book on that subject so it was a perfect place to go and a wonderful museum.

But just to show that our love of comics is nothing new; I couldn’t help but look at these old publications to entertain the masses and see the resemblance to our cherished medium.

1DF63741-BF54-4F79-8E18-3D2D8C665335.thumb.jpeg.b5b222d05c65b18a9313ea32d03ff111.jpegED6F5D59-48BC-45C6-B388-AACD1D379CEA.thumb.jpeg.ca977a5b0ab1c2f3145f98040a1c21dc.jpegEC9C1C19-37D7-4700-A6A6-5EF61C556E4F.thumb.jpeg.792d163794a24146d9926deed20ac4f9.jpeg

You’ll also note that Wertham is nothing new

2E656774-AEB3-4FBA-8F4A-8F481202E5FF.thumb.jpeg.81abfb3d1ffcddefa5c425a2e59bebf0.jpeg

The museum also had this amazing document on display. I texted a copy to my buddy who works on the USS Iowa in the port and he indicated this was signed on the USS Missouri which is its sister ship.

69517CCB-C025-4690-8B54-42F0782FE0EE.thumb.jpeg.b0dcf790b6319e7a4d31adec087bc716.jpeg

Finally, I can’t seem to escape my new friend who was also at the museum!

FFD71AF9-F689-49AF-8108-1DFDFF95DB93.jpeg.05f8724f6865c3bbde105e2241c00192.jpeg

Today it’s on to Tokyo Disneyland as we leave the crazy downtown Tokyo scene behind!

Sounds like you are having a great trip!

A little surprised to see those surrender documents on public display. You know with their deep sense of honor and all. But, thankfully, times change and we all hopefully learned a lesson.

I found this one interesting. Apparently, Dr. Wertham wasn't the first to worry about popular consumption of "literature" to the masses...:roflmao:

2E656774-AEB3-4FBA-8F4A-8F481202E5FF.thumb.jpeg.81abfb3d1ffcddefa5c425a2e59bebf0.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sounds like you are having a great trip!

A little surprised to see those surrender documents on public display. You know with their deep sense of honor and all. But, thankfully, times change and we all hopefully learned a lesson.

I found this one interesting. Apparently, Dr. Wertham wasn't the first to worry about popular consumption of "literature" to the masses...:roflmao:

There is tremendous respect for all public items. I’m always amazed at how the subways are filled with paper ads hanging from the subway ceiling and not one is torn or defaced in any manner. As a kid I rode the graffiti strewn subways of New York and the difference in attitude towards public infrastructure is amazing! 

We are at the airport to fly back home to LA. It’s eerily quiet here; looks like a half full flight if that. We got into the Tokyo Disney Seas park yesterday and they announced they will be shutting down for two weeks. This morning the place was a ghost town; here’s a sight few will ever see.

3614161B-0220-4B9E-9060-6C57305C4D4B.thumb.jpeg.abc017dc4fb289fe54753c5b419049ad.jpeg

Take a look at the duck thread for some pictures of the Scrooge McDuck Department store.

Anyway, you mentioned Godzilla earlier and here at the Haneda airport they had a little toy store with a mother lode of Godzilla items. My favorite was the little bank where Godzilla grabs your coins! There were other shelves filled with Godzilla goodies too!

5BDBF5B6-CF91-4399-8433-170304C94412.thumb.jpeg.63ca43f3a4f89018a44a0eae84cd794f.jpeg34D811C1-AB25-47C9-8EE2-EE3F9FA8FFCE.thumb.jpeg.722a2d749e8ff6c115f7167f7e07fd1b.jpeg67A765E4-40B7-4449-9A31-BFF9CF6F923A.thumb.jpeg.5fa98a2d49aafd601c44f0b91946c849.jpeg