• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,076 posts in this topic

Had a great show. This is what heaven must be like. Hanging with your buddies, swapping stories, checking out cool stuff and coming home with sore feet and pockets full of cash.

I bought well too.  Got some old comics, pulps, a few very pretty blbs as well as a cool early pressed steel gum machine, a couple nice Hartland plastic Baseball guys, and a few pinbacks. Heck, I don’t even remember as it’s all still packed and I’m too tired to care!

Edited by Robot Man

Awesome report!!!  Looks like a really fun place to spend a day. :applause:

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A 20 year grail has been completed!  I have wanted this pin since the first time ever saw it. One of the most colorful and graphic of all premium pins. Trouble is, it is very rare. Hake's has had only a few in all the years they have been around and it always went WAY over what I wanted to pay. A week ago, one popped up on the bay in the comic book section. I figured most of you comic book guys didn't know better or cared. So I sat there watching it sit with one bid. Last day, I punched in a HUGE number at the end and ending up getting it for a song. Gotta have patience if you collect stuff like this. So stoked!

sergeantprestonpin.jpg

Congratulations Robot Man!  I feel the same way about the Doc Savage pin that I purchased from you. 

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A 20 year grail has been completed!  I have wanted this pin since the first time ever saw it. One of the most colorful and graphic of all premium pins. Trouble is, it is very rare. Hake's has had only a few in all the years they have been around and it always went WAY over what I wanted to pay. A week ago, one popped up on the bay in the comic book section. I figured most of you comic book guys didn't know better or cared. So I sat there watching it sit with one bid. Last day, I punched in a HUGE number at the end and ending up getting it for a song. Gotta have patience if you collect stuff like this. So stoked!

sergeantprestonpin.jpg

Congrats and that was a great show growing up as a kid (thumbsu

I have always had a fascination with Easter Island ever since I saw it in a book as a kid. So much so, that I convinced a couple of my buddies to go on a surfing trip there about 15 years ago. Very remote and primitive place. The people that live there were very friendly and took good care of us. Nothing like floating on a surfboard between sets and seeing these giant statues all over the shore. They are all over the island and are pretty much explained. A big one crossed off my bucket list!

I decided, I'd look for comics with Easter Island covers. There aren't many... I finally picked up this Strange Adventures today, locally. Oldest one I know of. Was happy to get it. Here are the ones I have. Sorry they aren't mostly GA but hey, it's my thread... Anybody know of any other ones I can add to the list?

strangeadvseasterisland.jpg

comtalesastonish5.jpg

comhouseofmystery85.jpg

chamberofchillseasterisland.jpg

thoreasterisland1.jpg

Didn't know about the Strange Adventures issue,great pick up!You'll have to tell me more about your trip.One place I've ALWAYS wanted to go.If I had anywhere in the world to choose,it'd be there.

My copy of the TTA is purty,but my pic blurry

!!!!!0.jpg.92048bf908bce25a9ab51ce1a10ab

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Didn't know about the Strange Adventures issue,great pick up!You'll have to tell me more about your trip.One place I've ALWAYS wanted to go.If I had anywhere in the world to choose,it'd be there.

My copy of the TTA is purty,but my pic blurry

!!!!!0.jpg.92048bf908bce25a9ab51ce1a10ab

Very remote and weird place. There were 3 of us, 4 surfers from Austrailia and a couple of locals. Google it. I also went to Egypt to see the Sphinx and the pyrimids. Also bucket list. Was there as a 22 year old hippie kid with two friends. Just mind blowing. I guess I've got a thing for big stone dudes...

Oh,I've got books and books on it;I have an original Kon Tiki expedition book picked up when I was a kid and have always been crazy about the place.

I'd pick there over Egypt anyday-although when you went would be way different than these days.Easter Island is still remote,holds more mystery for me.

And these two toys came from the flea market. Got them from a lady that saves me stuff. Went from a plastic bin to my car as fast as I could whip out the cash. No one else ever saw them. They came from an old house in Riverside, CA. I know several dealers from that area and often get real cool stuff from them. Seems as though there are still a lot of old big houses still filled with stuff there.

The are both large toys and from 1895-1910 era. VERY good prices and both real cool. I especially like the shooting gallery. Early Schonut toy with a black kid and Palmer Cox Brownies. 

Good thing I got them because the rest of the show was pretty much a waste of time...

9B78DE79-4F24-46C1-8218-B0F66A7FD878.jpeg

93405B44-D892-4712-A216-376F032024A5.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

And these two toys came from the flea market. Got them from a lady that saves me stuff. Went from a plastic bin to my car as fast as I could whip out the cash. No one else ever saw them. They came from an old house in Riverside, CA. I know several dealers from that area and often get real cool stuff from them. Seems as though there are still a lot of old big houses still filled with stuff there.

The are both large toys and from 1895-1910 era. VERY good prices and both real cool. I especially like the shooting gallery. Early Schonut toy with a black kid and Palmer Cox Brownies. 

Good thing I got them because the rest of the show was pretty much a waste of time...

9B78DE79-4F24-46C1-8218-B0F66A7FD878.jpeg

93405B44-D892-4712-A216-376F032024A5.jpeg

San Bernadino, Redlands and Riverside are full of old homes built in the late 1800's to early 1900's. The nicer ones would have been owned by the folks who made good money in the orange groves; so they could have afforded nice stuff. It is hard to imagine that there are still unpicked treasure troves out there but if a home has been in a family forever it is quite possible. I randomly stopped by an estate sale up here in Pasadena a month ago and was shocked to see it chock full of player pianos and associated music cylinders. The wildest thing was this animated full size baby doll that greeted me as I walked out of a pool house overflowing with junk. Scared the living .... out of me at first!!

Great score on the garage sale Pogos Bob; that would have made my day as I am slowly building a collection. I agree that it is the rare day you find comics at garage sales anymore but every now and then you get lucky!!

Baby.jpg

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Had a good “junking” weekend. Comics came from a garage sale I just stopped by at random. I never find comics at garage sales. I bought all she had.

1B7D9BF6-7398-4689-BD15-646D96ED29F4.jpeg

You never know what you can find...true collector hunter that you are...you hit the jackpot.

7 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

San Bernadino, Redlands and Riverside are full of old homes built in the late 1800's to early 1900's. The nicer ones would have been owned by the folks who made good money in the orange groves; so they could have afforded nice stuff. It is hard to imagine that there are still unpicked treasure troves out there but if a home has been in a family forever it is quite possible. I randomly stopped by an estate sale up here in Pasadena a month ago and was shocked to see it chock full of player pianos and associated music cylinders. The wildest thing was this animated full size baby doll that greeted me as I walked out of a pool house overflowing with junk. Scared the living .... out of me at first!!

Great score on the garage sale Pogos Bob; that would have made my day as I am slowly building a collection. I agree that it is the rare day you find comics at garage sales anymore but every now and then you get lucky!!

Baby.jpg

They came from a house in Colton,CA. (same area). One of the other dealers I buy from that are from that area had this one time. I about wet my pants as I slowly un-rolled it. They are not baseball fans...

piratesphoto1.jpg

piratesphoto2.jpg

piratesphoto3.jpg