• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Transformers Comics - 4 comics

6 posts in this topic

Hello - I am a newbie as I just found my old collection from when I was a kid. I have what I am going to assume is the first Transformers comics. (there are 4) I would like to summit them for grading, but don't understand how I would figure out what the "Declared value" is, can someone help me? Thanks in advance! Also, these comics have never been out of plastic.

Edited by MikeLJr

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, MikeLJr said:

Hello - I am a newbie as I just found my old collection from when I was a kid. I have what I am going to assume is the first Transformers comics. (there are 4) I would like to summit them for grading, but don't understand how I would figure out what the "Declared value" is, can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Take your best guess. If your book is over a certain amount of money, the grading fee changes. Look at the CGC fees. There will be Max Values assigned to each grading tier. You should be able to choose any grading tier if your books are valued at less than $200 each. I usually list what I want the comic insured at and only worry about it when it's value is borderline between two different tiers. If I was submitting any Transformers book, I would declare at less than $200 each.

Your books are modern and most likely are not in perfect condition as you stated you were a kid. Even if you were sort of careful, kids handle books a bit more rough than adults probably would (don't flame me for that statement). Declared value vs real value is two different things. Your books are probably worth no more than $25-50 each.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:00 PM, MikeLJr said:

Hello - I am a newbie as I just found my old collection from when I was a kid. I have what I am going to assume is the first Transformers comics. (there are 4) I would like to summit them for grading, but don't understand how I would figure out what the "Declared value" is, can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Welcome Mike, can you provide a pic of the books?

In case it was not already answered , it is a pretty safe bet that if it you mean the original  first print of the 1984 Transfomers mini-series that you should value it under $200.

OPG is a good starting point to determine value, since someplace like eBay may have an exaggerated or inflated asking price with limited data to justify that price. I have seen a T1 graded 9.6 listed for $1000 and I have seen the same book in the same grade listed for $300. Which listing is going to be more accurate? hm So in this  example OPG lists issue #1 at $125 in 9.2. I paid $125 for my Transfomers #1 in 9.4 CGC a year ago .

I would further assume that since these books were in your reader collection that they have been opened and read and will not grade in the high mint range, so you are therefore in no danger of going over the value mark mentioned earlier. It is also safe to assume that issues 2,3,&4 are going to be a step down in value/price as well. I think OPG lists them at $25 a piece.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W
spelling