• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everett Raymond Kinstler
4 4

155 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, damonwad said:

Thanks.

I've seen some 30's books where some of the stories are color and others black and white but The Unknown Man is the first I've seen where only the splash is b & w and the rest of the book in color. 

Yes, the rest of the book is color.  What makes this issue unusual (I think) is that not only did he do the inside cover as a black and white sketch, but also the first page facing the cover.  I haven't looked through enough of his Avon books to know how often he did this, but it's the first one I've seen like it.

Edited by Sqeggs

48 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, the rest of the book is color.  What makes this issue unusual (I think) is that not only did he do the inside cover as a black and white sketch, but also the first page facing the cover.  I haven't looked through enough of his Avon books to know how often he did this, but it's the first one I've seen like it.

Yes, the black and white facing page is the unusual one. (I called it the splash page but maybe the inside cover is the splash for this book)?

I'd be curious if adamstrange or Scrooge have seen that on any others.

40 minutes ago, damonwad said:

#3.

(Maybe some day I'll figure out how to put pictures in order on the new boards. :pullhair::pullhair:  )

597a9cbb71fbc_Geronimo3(SplashPage).thumb.JPG.d800330062307564c6120094314c51cb.JPG597a9c8ea053e_Geronimo3(InsideFrontCover).thumb.JPG.c2f07e775e1a950c3eaf563907bf1c21.JPG

Geronimo #3.JPG

Very cool books!

Wow, what a provocative title on the above. "And his Apache Murderers"! :whatthe:

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Very cool books!

Wow, what a provocative title on the above. "And his Apache Murderers"! :whatthe:

I agree. Usually Avon "only" called them savages or referred to massacres in the title.