• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Science Comics- WTH?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I've really wanted a copy of #5 for a while now. I tapped out on the 2.5 copy in the Heritage auction when it got to 2k last night. Not too long ago it seemed this title was deader than a dodo. Ditto Wonderworld.  Obviously no longer the case. What's made the Fox books such objects of lust/frenzy recently? Great covers and content, sure, but that's always  been so.

Maybe there's some speculation going on in light of the recent Mile High Fantastic 3 auction result.  One problem with that thinking:  The supply/demand equation for Fantastic 3 has been manipulated, so it is not a good model for predicting the future of other similar books.

4 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

I've really wanted a copy of #5 for a while now. I tapped out on the 2.5 copy in the Heritage auction when it got to 2k last night.

Are you by any chance referring to this Science 4 that closed last night on HA because I can't seem to see a Science 5 here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/science-comics-4-fox-1940-cgc-gd-25-light-tan-to-off-white-pages/a/121730-14600.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|0

39 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:

The Berk 6.0 copy sold for $10,300, I assume that influenced the 2.5 sale and will influence the 5.5 sale in the current auction.

That would me to blame, unfortunately. :shy: 

Actually, I blame the underbidder. :insane:

And we agree: awesome cover! maybe Joe Simon's best, IMBO (in my biased opinion).

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

The 2.5 that sold presented very well for the grade, here is my 4.0 for comparison, I think the 2.5 looked at least as nice from the cover.

img245.jpg

Wow, they are both very beautiful copies and would be wonderful additions to anybody's collection.  :luhv:  :applause:

13 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Not too long ago it seemed this title was deader than a dodo. Ditto Wonderworld.  Obviously no longer the case. What's made the Fox books such objects of lust/frenzy recently? Great covers and content, sure, but that's always  been so.

5 hours ago, HRCostigan said:

5 has been cold, will be cold again.  4 has not been cold since I have paid attention.

Really nothing new here as comic books always goes through cycles.  :gossip:

As I have mentioned on other occasions here, during the last big GA bull market back in the mid 90's the classic covers and the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers such as Fox were the last ones to catch fire after the 2 big mainstream GA publishers had had their big bull run.  Hopefully, the next phase in the pattern does not repeat itself in terms of a general cooling off in the overall vintage collectible comic book marketplace for several years after that. hm  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Really nothing new here as comic books always goes through cycles.  :gossip:

As I have mentioned on other occasions here, during the last big GA bull market back in the mid 90's the classic covers and the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers such as Fox were the last ones to catch fire after the 2 big mainstream GA publishers had had their big bull run.  Hopefully, the next phase in the pattern does not repeat itself in terms of a general cooling off in the overall vintage collectible comic book marketplace for several years after that. hm  :wishluck:

Science 2-4 is an incredible run of covers that do a good job of representing the early GA.  As far as runs of books go, it's about as cool as it gets.  4 is very hard to find in general and all 3 are extremely difficult over 5.0 or so.  

Issue 5 being cold?  A 7.5 brought $3600 last February and I suspect that same copy would bring even more today.  Hard for me to call that book cold.  

2 hours ago, buttock said:

Issue 5 being cold?  A 7.5 brought $3600 last February and I suspect that same copy would bring even more today.  Hard for me to call that book cold.  

I never said anything about Science 5 being cold as that was probably by the previous board member posting.  :gossip:

All Fox books are on fire right now and have been hot for the past couple of years.  You would probably need to go back about 5 years ago if you are thinking about Fox books in terms of being relatively cold in the marketplace.  hm

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I never said anything about Science 5 being cold as that was probably by the previous board member posting.  :gossip:

All Fox books are on fire right now and have been hot for the past couple of years.  You would probably need to go back about 5 years ago if you are thinking about Fox books in terms of being relatively cold in the marketplace.  hm

My first line was directed to you, the second was not.  

19 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

The Berk 6.0 copy sold for $10,300, I assume that influenced the 2.5 sale and will influence the 5.5 sale in the current auction.

Berk's was a 6.5, just to clarify.  That being said, it's one of those books that's going to sell for a lot regardless of condition, and regardless of prior sales.  

20 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

That would me to blame, unfortunately. :shy: 

Actually, I blame the underbidder. :insane:

And we agree: awesome cover! maybe Joe Simon's best, IMBO (in my biased opinion).

my favorite as well, even over mm 10.