• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United bans comics from checked bags after SDCC

15 posts in this topic

Want to check your Glock 19?  Go for it!

Want to check those 25 Wolverine readers you just bought?  No can do partner, you're slogging them in your carry-on for the duration.  Enjoy your flight!

-- Drive anywhere and everywhere that you can --

Do you guys think the "ban" was a result of complaints about damaged comics or the thickness of numerous books messing up the scanners?

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Personally, I would MUCH rather carry them on anyway. Either that, or ship them home. Having some guy in the back pawing over my books is disturbing.

That requires common sense,something heavily lacking nowadays.

15 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Or books going missing?

That's certainly a possibility.  Theft is a real issue among airlines.

21 hours ago, CAHokie said:

Do you guys think the "ban" was a result of complaints about damaged comics or the thickness of numerous books messing up the scanners?

It's due to the scanners. Thick, solid masses that show up on scanners have to removed and inspected by hand.  

21 minutes ago, darkstar said:

It's due to the scanners. Thick, solid masses that show up on scanners have to removed and inspected by hand.  

That's what I thought. I had two omnibus in there one time, huge ones, and it was inspected both directions.

I flew out of San Diego on United early Monday morning. I didn't see any signs or hear any announcements about comics. My carry on that contained quite a few comics in it was pulled to the side though for a quick inspection though.

Luckily the agent was very courteous (after I spoke up about the contents) and allowed me to help him remove the box of books from the bag. He was very careful and I was on my way within a few minutes with my comics. Not one mention of requiring me to check my bag.

If I had to guess I likely had to remove them due to the solid mass as stated above.