• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Model Pubescense 10/74 National Lampoon
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2017 at 1:48 PM, JerryLeeJones said:

I have been trying to find out who this model is and if it is true that the model is a boy dressed as a girl.

There is a single article claiming that it is a boy and that article says "As I recall..."  Does anyone know the real story?59765b959df70_CherryGirl.jpg.bb892ff63360d4663a1c1b324e7cb224.jpg

This is one of the weirdest things I've heard in a while, but it's feasible...? She (she....he?) has broad shoulders, and a sorta masculine face. The hair would most likely need to be a wig (or a long-haired guy who curled his hair, I guess0, and hairy body areas would have to be shaved/waxed.

Thin waist, not much suspicious about the private area, normal-sized fingers, flat chest, and nothing else in the magazine hinting at a gender-bent cover...

Seems most likely she really is female. Though it would be believable that National Lampoon would pull a prank like this.

Who was the editor? Maybe we should track down P.J. O'Rourke and see if he knows anything.

I used to have a subscription and this was in my collection. Are you trying to mess with my memories?

38 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

It's a dude.......:roflmao:

I had never seen this particular issue until this thread was started, but the more I see it, the more I'm convinced that the model is male. It seems in line with National Lampoon's sense of humor and well, (s)he just looks like a dude. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

On 7/25/2017 at 4:48 PM, wpbooks said:

October 1974, Vol. 1, No. 55 / Pubescence

7410cover_s.jpg

“COVER: The usual f&uckups. Hendra, Kelly, and McConnachie thought the original model looked too old, so we —continued on page 84.

(pg. 84 was a full page ad, btw)

I just got a nearly complete run of the 1974 NatLamps; and I'm afraid that I must contradict you.  Pg. 84 was not a full page ad; and here is the continuation:

Natlamp_1974_10.jpg

20180225_130620.thumb.jpg.2ef954a624dcffea426f942a3c5b3598.jpg20180225_130632.thumb.jpg.e789a3138faebfc9ee9210fb5b337536.jpg20180225_130642.thumb.jpg.a4c6f83a727f461aa104343f419ef35c.jpg20180225_130654.thumb.jpg.743b8721388e7f1a747b7719f506ba0f.jpg20180225_130705.thumb.jpg.a14b0d86419a82089cf1b62386f3cd17.jpg

I hate to disagree but I believe you are incorrect sir. My page 84 (not numbered, but 83 is on the other side with more from the Adelphian Lodge story, and page 85, directly across is the beginning of the color Trots and Bonnie story) is a full page ad for Yes Art News. I'm now wondering if that issue had multiple printings and yours is a corrected later printing. I have a complete run of 1974, in NL binder I am currently holding in my hands. No place in my issue for 10/74 has the paragraph you reprinted above. But my 12/74 issues has the note about 10/74 as you printed. A mystery!!!!

Edited by wpbooks01
added scanned images

Mark from Mark's Very Large National Lampoon Site (www.marksverylarge.com) here...

I have two copies of this issue and there is a full page ad on page 84 in both. I note as well that the Letters from the Editors feature in that issue also says "continued on page 84". I think it's quite possible that there was a late ad insertion and that the press run was interrupted for it, resulting in some issues containing the "jump" copy and some with the ad. This wouldn't be the first time differences appeared in two copies of the same issue. I have only seen issues with the ad, so I assumed it was a joke (as it says on my site), but maybe not.

OtherEric, would you mind posting a scan or photo of the whole page? I'd be curious to see if the rest of the Letters feature is there, too, possibly next to a 2/3 page house ad (which in magazines are generally use to fill unsold ad space).

Edited by Mark Simonson

@wpbooks01, my apologies for incorrectly contradicting you; clearly both of us were acting in good faith as we unknowingly had different variants of the issue.

@Mark Simonson, I am more than happy to post a scan of the whole page.  Even if the concept of me, somebody who only got their first issues of NatLamp a few weeks when their local store turned up a few issues, helping you figure out something about the mag feels akin to one of the Beatles asking me "How does this track sound to you?"  The page does contain the continuation of the letters page as well, and an ad; but it's not a house ad.  The whole thing seems odd all around:

Here's the page:

Natlamp_1974_10_84.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

@wpbooks01, my apologies for incorrectly contradicting you; clearly both of us were acting in good faith as we unknowingly had different variants of the issue.

@Mark Simonson, I am more than happy to post a scan of the whole page.  Even if the concept of me, somebody who only got their first issues of NatLamp a few weeks when their local store turned up a few issues, helping you figure out something about the mag feels akin to one of the Beatles asking me "How does this track sound to you?"  The page does contain the continuation of the letters page as well, and an ad; but it's not a house ad.  The whole thing seems odd all around:

Here's the page:

Natlamp_1974_10_84.jpg

I have multiple copies of the 10/74 issue, but my others are in mag boxes in a closet I can't get to without some effort. I know I've read that OSU letter....or maybe it was part of a series... because I'm from Columbus and I know as a kid reading the issue, I was struck by that. I'm thinking I have at least one copy of the variant issue in my stash, and now need to find it! Thanks for contributing to my OCD!