• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

African-American Comics
3 3

155 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

It's not Golden Age, but it's such a niche that I have to ask in this thread: anyone collect Firzgerald's Golden Legacy series and his short-lived Fast Willie Jackson? I do the latter as an Archie fan. 

Post 'em if you've got 'em! :)

50 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Post 'em if you've got 'em! :)

I've just got this one (so far:devil:) It's a seven-issue run. Golden Legacy I've never checked out, but it's the same guy. The back story behind Fast Willie and supposed strong-arming by Archie Comics is fascinating stuff, from what I've read.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just beginning the annual family vacation today, and promised very minimal to no distractions, but I couldn't resist participating in @Sqeggs thread, and then sign off for rest of the week.  My collection is in no way on par with Jon Berks recently sold collection, but like he held onto sentimental value books, if I ever thinned the herd, these will be among the few ones to go after I do :D. I have better pics in my lap top at home, these are in the iPad and will have to do. Windy City copy

image.jpeg

Edited by sagii

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Just beginning the annual family vacation today, and promised very minimal to no distractions, but I couldn't resist participating in @Sqeggs thread, and then sign off for rest of the week.  My collection is in no way on par with Jon Berks recently sold collection, but like he held onto sentimental value books, if I ever thinned the herd, these will be among the few ones to go after I do :D. I have better pics in my lap top at home, these are in the iPad and will have to do. Windy City copy

image.jpeg

Oh yeah, somehow I knew these were coming. There goes the neighborhood!

Recently I took a risk and bought this off ebay, and sure enough it turned out to be the reprint.

The original and reprint editions are nearly exactly the same, so it's difficult to tell them apart. On the original, the paper ages normally. On the reprint, they actually colored the paper that way - looking at the blank box on the back cover, the pixels to create a tanning affect are visible under magnification.

MLKreprint.png

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Recently I took a risk and bought this off ebay, and sure enough it turned out to be the reprint.

The original and reprint editions are nearly exactly the same, so it's difficult to tell them apart. On the original, the paper ages normally. On the reprint, they actually colored the paper that way - looking at the blank box on the back cover, the pixels to create a tanning affect are visible under magnification.

MLKreprint.png

There's another way Steve, actually the only way to know for sure, but it's the indica on the back cover.  I've got some pics someplace, I'll try and track it down.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Cool!  Never seen this one before.

For the longest time I took this cover to be the first interracial kiss in comicdom.  Unfortunately for that premise, the black guy on the cover becomes the white guy inside the pages.  But hey the colorists don't make that kind of mistake by mistake.  I think the editors made a bold underground statement. 

so I stand by my foolish notion.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

For the longest time I took this cover to be the first interracial kiss in comicdom.  Unfortunately for that premise, the black guy on the cover becomes the white guy inside the pages.  But hey the colorists don't make that kind of mistake by mistake.  I think the editors made a bold underground statement. 

so I stand by my foolish notion.

Not only are they kissing but, apparently, they're "just married."  Still kind of bold, even for 1975.

Weird, though, that they would have him a different race on the cover than in the story. 

On 7/25/2017 at 11:20 AM, sacentaur said:

MLKreprint.png

Isn't there also a difference with the staples? I think the original has 3 staples (top, middle, bottom) and the reprint has the normal 2 staples. I could be wrong....