• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Summer Auction
1 1

183 posts in this topic

One  of my favourite pieces in this auction was that lovely Kubert Our Army at War cover .    The enemy ace Star Spangled panel was awesome also.   :cloud9: 

50 minutes ago, DJRome said:

Since we're all coming clean, here's why I really bought the What If #5.

L

What If #5 zoom.jpg

That crumb cover was awesome and I could understand, shocked as I was, the 700k price tag because it was a superb example.   

The 500k unpublished Zap cover in this auction ... not so Hot.     500k seems massively overpriced for that one.

congrats on the what if cover

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That crumb cover was awesome and I could understand, shocked as I was, the 700k price tag because it was a superb example.   

The 500k unpublished Zap cover in this auction ... not so Hot.     500k seems massively overpriced for that one.

congrats on the what if cover

I am not surprised on the unpublished Zap #1 cover. Fritz the Cat is his most known character and the image from the cover is very well known. The Zap #1 unpublished is more famous in the underground community. While it is inferior to the published one its still iconic image. Look at how the underground art has done in the last year, so its no surprise for the Zap #1 unpublished cover.

Yeah I dunno.    I understand all that but the image is unpublished and not typical Crumb.     200k would be plenty.    300k would be just dandy.    500 is plain and simple eff you money for a piece that has a dangling wiener, 'off' drawing for the artist and unpublished.     

Edited by Bronty

To be clear.   I am not SURPRISED at the result.    With , likely, Lucas throwing around money for the museum.    What I am saying is that it's POOR VALUE.

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

To be clear.   I am not SURPRISED at the result.    With , likely, Lucas throwing around money for the museum.    What I am saying is that it's POOR VALUE.

Is it possible that the crumb buyer is looking at it as just art.  The way you would look at a painting by a famous artist.

Not looking at it like a comic collector.  

For example if they found an alternate Mona Lisa painting by Da Vinci - only she was standing and not sitting. Or it had a different background.  Would it sell for cheap because it never hung at the Louvre?

With fine art - the story behind the art is important. An unpublished cover tells an interesting story about what could have been.

On the other hand, if we look at this like comic art collectors - does the 500k price just mean that the published piece would have gone for 1 mil?

Regarding the Dredd Batman painting

its an amazing piece with major figures and villains 

nope, didn't win, nope not even close , stopped just over half way from final hammer 

if if you are wondering why so much...

I think few people here collect Dredd

It got a lot of interest in UK

if you want to know how often good Dredd pieces come up for sale the answer is THEY DONT

this is the first piece this year.

so much Dredd was acquired years ago and people are more willing to go full Jaime Lannister and give up a hand than sell their Dredd stuff. 

Obviously the price was too much for me but a year ago I would have been up there bidding; just different priorities right now, a year from now I would have been up there bidding. 

Confgats to winner 

Interesting Thanks Doc.   I'll repeat that in person I expect it blows away almost any piece in the auction

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Is it possible that the crumb buyer is looking at it as just art.  The way you would look at a painting by a famous artist.

Not looking at it like a comic collector.  

For example if they found an alternate Mona Lisa painting by Da Vinci - only she was standing and not sitting. Or it had a different background.  Would it sell for cheap because it never hung at the Louvre?

With fine art - the story behind the art is important. An unpublished cover tells an interesting story about what could have been.

On the other hand, if we look at this like comic art collectors - does the 500k price just mean that the published piece would have gone for 1 mil?

Hmm good insight

4 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

That What If? has a nice image and the Sinnott inks add a lot I think.

It's a great image and I think that's 90% Sinnott's inks. He's a master. I liked the piece enough to consider bidding on it (before the final blood-sport of live bidding of course) regardless of the pencil artist, and I almost never do that. 

I'll echo the observation that there were some strong prices achieved in this auction, and in some cases, some pretty surprising and unprecedented results - more so than I have seen in a while from Heritage. Most likely due to a couple of guys that "just had to have an example"?

Some observations...

- The Hush piece featuring Batman was nice but not an A-example in my opinion but yet still hit $10k....is that the new norm for Hush examples of that quality or has there just been a dearth of supply and again, two guys "just had to have it"? It was really not so long ago that a piece like that would have gone in the $4-5k range imo. 

- Other examples where a couple of guys seemed to really stretch past historical norms for admittedly nice higher-tier examples were.....Kubert war cover, BWS Machine Man, BWS WX 1/2 splash, Moon Knight ($3800 is huge for that page), DD10 Wood-inked page, Miller Ronin (wow....all of a sudden the page on ebay right now at $15k seems like a good price), Shadow Kaluta, Cockrum X94, etc.

- I agree that the Adams stuff went a little soft but there were some pieces that had been offered before pretty recently so that probably affected things financially. I really like that GL85 page 3 - just killer art by Adams - but I guess it was punished for no mask. 

- The Avengers 76 was a killer piece and as I said to few of my OA buddies, the non-"Assemble" panels really shined to me with repeated viewing of the page. At $12k, it went where I thought it would.

- Mignola SOD Hellboy results seem to now be firmly in the $10-15k range now for B+/A-level pages. I was the consignor of the last two in Heritage and was not overly surprised at those results as they have been selling privately in that range for a while now....of course, thats when guys are actually willing to sell them! The upcoming movie reboot may have speculators hitting the bid button a little more often perhaps as well.

- DD181 and 166 "training" pages....I agree with Scott that it was funny that very similar pages were offered at once...I suspect the same consignor for both? I liked both but thought the 181 was great and I was the underbidder. It has everything going for it except no mask of course BUT memorable scene and I can see someone going to mat for it who just wanted one primo example from Miller's most memorable DD book. Re the 166, I thought it still went low despite the Oliff coloring, I suspect there are guys kicking themselves a little now for not bidding a little higher. Look at those killer Miller Wolvie Oliff-colored pages....they had been originally offered years ago on Heritage and were obviously heavily punished financially at the time but when offered again 1-2 years ago....not so much. 

Anyways, fun auction to watch. I ended up taking down the Romita/Sinnott Cap141, which again, went higher than any previous results, but for me it was the ideal example.

Given some of these results, maybe it is time to revise the "A-level panel page valuations" thread....

Edited by Lago32

18 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It's a really well-drawn page from the part of the run where his art was really starting to get very good.  Content-wise, it's part of one of the more memorable storylines in the run, but, nothing to really justify a price like this.  Guess two people just really liked it.

I loved the MK23 page as prime Sienkiewicz with great images and gorgeous textures capturing MK in snow, wind and fire elements.   Pushed past my $3k bid as but multiple bidders took it higher.  I've noticed increased demand and prices for quality Sienkiewicz pages (esp NM Demon Bear!), so in context I can see why this stellar Moon Knight page did extremely well. 

9 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

I loved the MK23 page as prime Sienkiewicz with great images and gorgeous textures capturing MK in snow, wind and fire elements.   Pushed past my $3k bid as but multiple bidders took it higher.  I've noticed increased demand and prices for quality Sienkiewicz pages (esp NM Demon Bear!), so in context I can see why this stellar Moon Knight page did extremely well. 

I agree with this.  I consider the mid 20 issues of MK to be the demarkation for when Sienkiewicz went from being a decent Neal Adams protege to becoming his own artist.  Even the stories are better in those later Moon Knights.  I think fans are realizing this and those mid20 MK's thru the New Mutant run (with emphasis on the "Hit It" on MK and Demon Bear for NM) are going to be most prized and most expensive.  The painted Electra series is obviously at least if not more prized, but it's those later MK issues that really gets the ball rolling for Sienkiewicz collectors like me and I don't see this slowing down any time soon.

Scott

3 hours ago, Lago32 said:

I'll echo the observation that there were some strong prices achieved in this auction, and in some cases, some pretty surprising and unprecedented results - more so than I have seen in a while from Heritage. Most likely due to a couple of guys that "just had to have an example"?

Some observations...

- The Hush piece featuring Batman was nice but not an A-example in my opinion but yet still hit $10k....is that the new norm for Hush examples of that quality or has there just been a dearth of supply and again, two guys "just had to have it"? It was really not so long ago that a piece like that would have gone in the $4-5k range imo. 

- Other examples where a couple of guys seemed to really stretch past historical norms for admittedly nice higher-tier examples were.....Kubert war cover, BWS Machine Man, BWS WX 1/2 splash, Moon Knight ($3800 is huge for that page), DD10 Wood-inked page, Miller Ronin (wow....all of a sudden the page on ebay right now at $15k seems like a good price), Shadow Kaluta, Cockrum X94, etc.

- I agree that the Adams stuff went a little soft but there were some pieces that had been offered before pretty recently so that probably affected things financially. I really like that GL85 page 3 - just killer art by Adams - but I guess it was punished for no mask. 

- The Avengers 76 was a killer piece and as I said to few of my OA buddies, the non-"Assemble" panels really shined to me with repeated viewing of the page. At $12k, it went where I thought it would.

- Mignola SOD Hellboy results seem to now be firmly in the $10-15k range now for B+/A-level pages. I was the consignor of the last two in Heritage and was not overly surprised at those results as they have been selling privately in that range for a while now....of course, thats when guys are actually willing to sell them! The upcoming movie reboot may have speculators hitting the bid button a little more often perhaps as well.

- DD181 and 166 "training" pages....I agree with Scott that it was funny that very similar pages were offered at once...I suspect the same consignor for both? I liked both but thought the 181 was great and I was the underbidder. It has everything going for it except no mask of course BUT memorable scene and I can see someone going to mat for it who just wanted one primo example from Miller's most memorable DD book. Re the 166, I thought it still went low despite the Oliff coloring, I suspect there are guys kicking themselves a little now for not bidding a little higher. Look at those killer Miller Wolvie Oliff-colored pages....they had been originally offered years ago on Heritage and were obviously heavily punished financially at the time but when offered again 1-2 years ago....not so much. 

Anyways, fun auction to watch. I ended up taking down the Romita/Sinnott Cap141, which again, went higher than any previous results, but for me it was the ideal example.

Given some of these results, maybe it is time to revise the "A-level panel page valuations" thread....

Good analysis Mike!  And congrats on the Cap 141!  

Scott  

On 8/11/2017 at 5:58 PM, delekkerste said:

- Pope Batman: Year 100 #3 front & back cover ($15,535).  Is that cheap? 

I don't think so, looks about right to me. Quite healthy, even.

The #4 cover sold privately recently for around that amount. This was right before I sold the #1 cover for $25K. The seller of the #4 then bemoaned to me that he had sold his cover too soon (meaning, prior to the #1 sale) and had thus let it go too cheaply. I told him that he actually did quite well. He seemed to think that ALL the covers should be around $20-$25K, when IMO, the #1 is its own thing. It had a high price tag because that's what it took for Paul to let it go. If I had gotten the #3 or #4 covers from Paul, I would not have priced them for any higher than $15K. So this HA result looks good to me.

The panel page, OTOH, was a very nice buy at $2629.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I don't think so, looks about right to me. Quite healthy, even.

The #4 cover sold privately recently for around that amount. This was right before I sold the #1 cover for $25K. The seller of the #4 then bemoaned to me that he had sold his cover too soon (meaning, prior to the #1 sale) and had thus let it go too cheaply. I told him that he actually did quite well. He seemed to think that ALL the covers should be around $20-$25K, when IMO, the #1 is its own thing. It had a high price tag because that's what it took for Paul to let it go. If I had gotten the #3 or #4 covers from Paul, I would not have priced them for any higher than $15K. So this HA result looks good to me.

The panel page, OTOH, was a very nice buy at $2629.

Ah, OK.  I just remember the #1 going for big bucks, and liking all the other covers (including the #3) better, personally, so thought that looked like a good buy in comparison.