• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Summer Auction
1 1

183 posts in this topic

San Diego has come and gone and the Heritage Summer Auction is in full swing.  Looks like there's another stellar batch of OA up for grabs, assuming your wallet can survive the onslaught of 'gotta have it' goodies.  I'm tracking approximately half of the 600+ OA lots this time, and there's some really fun pieces I'd love to own (but probably won't be able to outbid my fellow OA fanatics):

Good luck to all bidders and sellers.  I have to go to the bank now and get an LoC.

This Kinstler page is pretty-

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/everett-raymond-kinstler-police-line-up-2-inside-front-cover-original-art-avon-1951-/a/7166-93400.s

Some nice Byrne Superman and Batman pieces. Barry Smith Weapon X color recreation. Powerful Conan 124 cover. And those Sprang color pieces!

A pretty meh auction, at least compares to a few of the ones Heritage has had recently. I see a few things to bid on if they end reasonable but nothing close to a must have.

I an interested to see how long pieces from the Ethan Roberts collection come to auction. In this auction and several of the recent Sunday auctions some very nice pieces have been coming out.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

San Diego has come and gone and the Heritage Summer Auction is in full swing.  Looks like there's another stellar batch of OA up for grabs, assuming your wallet can survive the onslaught of 'gotta have it' goodies.  I'm tracking approximately half of the 600+ OA lots this time, and there's some really fun pieces I'd love to own (but probably won't be able to outbid my fellow OA fanatics):

Good luck to all bidders and sellers.  I have to go to the bank now and get an LoC.

Part 2 of the fun pieces I'd love to own in this auction:

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Part 2 of the fun pieces I'd love to own in this auction:

I had this and its sister page in my cart on ebay in 2015/2016...it was 2500 and i kept holding it wanting to hit BIN...and i just couldn't. I have no idea why...that decision is one of those regrets that bothers me still lol.

For me, Kaluta shadow is one of those pinnacle books. A lot of what i value is how it feels to me when i look at it, how clean for its purpose is it? Kaluta's shadow when he inked himself is sorta flawless. That look, how he defines so much of the world with that similar line for all things. That Art Nouveau style to the city and to how he frames certain women and situations. Its this stylized/idealized version of 30's New York, a world on the brink , that really gets me. Dirty yet beautiful at the same time. The backgrounds show more than the foregrounds with Kaluta work, how rare is that? It only comes about when you have someone who is attempting to create a complete work of art when they draw, not just to check a box on the editors assignment's list.

The train pages didn't have city,  even though it had decent shadow images. The look of 45's drawn also is huge to me, especially in profile. The other page I liked better than this, but they both were awesome. I can still remember them sitting there. I wish I knew why I was so hesitant. I tend to not talk about the things I really want, so I don't have to run into competition later but you asked lol.

Just saw the new-ish Thor trailer featuring what appears to be World War Hulk and the Warbound (Hulk's compatriots in the World War Hulk storyline) in battle.  A similar scene appears in or is referenced from a DPS in Heritage's auction.  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-jr-and-klaus-janson-world-war-hulk-2-double-splash-page-11-12-original-art-marvel-2007-/a/7166-92217.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Definitely a very busy page and another example whereby comic storylines influence today's movies. (thumbsu 

Just about a week to go before Live Bidding begins next Friday and it appears to be the most quiet auction I've see price-wise in some time.  Sure, bidders will soon take another look at their tracked items, whittle down their 'must have' list for this auction and prices will start to increase ever so slowly, but I think these are just some of the pieces that have a looooong way to go before hitting FMV.  I should note that I don't keep track of art by Kirby, Herriman, Schulz, Raymond, Frazetta, and Crumb so feel free to chime in with your own observations. 

Here we go:

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just about a week to go before Live Bidding begins next Friday and it appears to be the most quiet auction I've see price-wise in some time.  Sure, bidders will soon take another look at their tracked items, whittle down their 'must have' list for this auction and prices will start to increase ever so slowly, but I think these are just some of the pieces that have a looooong way to go before hitting FMV.  I should note that I don't keep track of art by Kirby, Herriman, Schulz, Raymond, Frazetta, and Crumb so feel free to chime in with your own observations. 

Here we go:

It's a great cover image. Even as itty bitty, teeny tiny as the OA is compared to a standard GA or SA cover it's well-remembered.  The resto/repairs/additions to the piece will probably have less an impact on the final price than the size of the artwork but whomever takes it home will have a nice GA war cover example to take pride in. 

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I have been seeing a cooling off in the OA market recently.  I think prices are starting to regress to the mean on a lot of these pieces. 

15 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have been seeing a cooling off in the OA market recently.  I think prices are starting to regress to the mean on a lot of these pieces. 

Well, most of the (ok all of these) numbers are irrelevant at this point. 

The bidding action is pretty easy to pin down at this point:

First 36-48 hours: Flurry of bidding activity :ohnoez:

Just after the first 48 hours until 48 before the live auction: tumbleweeds

48 hours to the end of internet proxy bidding period: sporadic incremental upticks

Live Auction: ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!! :ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Not everything will move significantly, that's true, but there's not much valuable data to glean from where things sit right now. 

Edited by comix4fun

37 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, most of the (ok all of these) numbers are irrelevant at this point. 

The bidding action is pretty easy to pin down at this point:

First 36-48 hours: Flurry of bidding activity :ohnoez:

Just after the first 48 hours until 48 before the live auction: tumbleweeds

48 hours to the end of internet proxy bidding period: sporadic incremental upticks

Live Auction: ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!! :ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Not everything will move significantly, that's true, but there's not much valuable data to glean from where things sit right now. 

I'm just referring to seeing final hammer prices on many pieces not getting anywhere near what they probably would have 6-12 months ago. At least in the moderate to low end. It may be different from premium pieces.

There are two Watchmen pages up right now at HA, which are going to go for a pretty penny, I'd assume. One of which is Ozymandias monologuing his plan. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'm just referring to seeing final hammer prices on many pieces not getting anywhere near what they probably would have 6-12 months ago. At least in the moderate to low end. It may be different from premium pieces.

There are two Watchmen pages up right now at HA, which are going to go for a pretty penny, I'd assume. One of which is Ozymandias monologuing his plan. 

Yeah, I expect some fireworks on several pieces before it's over.

I haven't noticed any major drop offs in closing figures, but I don't track or pay attention to everything. Do you have any specific instances that come to mind? I'm always on the lookout for more data. 

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Definitely the quietest HA auction I've seen in a long time that's so close to live bidding

Could be due to a few factors:

1. No standout pieces generating buzz around this auction.

2. Relatively mediocre offerings compared to recent HA auctions.

3. CLink's summer auction contains heavy pieces, along with some quality offerings in CC's upcoming auction.

Edited by Dick O.

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Yeah, I expect some fireworks on several pieces before it's over.

I haven't noticed any major drop offs in closing figures, but I don't track or pay attention to everything. Do you have any specific instances that come to mind? I'm always on the lookout for more data. 

There was a nice David Finch batman page, with full Batman and Robin in action that sold on eBay for significantly less (in an actual contested auction) than I expected. And this was after it had been listed with a BIN and didn't sell, then got relisted with a bit of a discount, and didn't sell. Obviously, it was overpriced, but it eventually went for a little more than half of what I expected, or what it probably would have 6 months ago.

And I also track a lot of eBay auctions, and the BIN stuff almost never sells. A while ago someone here posted about the Defenders#28 Starhwak page that sold on eBay for a sum that was a steal, IMHO. I was following that auction, but could not bid on it. I probably didn't pay that much attention to it, because I assumed it would go for much more than it did, and it was going to be outside my price comfort zone. I'm not a high end collector. I'm, I guess, a budget collector (even though that is still expensive to most people!).

I just think the mid and lower tier stuff is cooling off. That's what I see, anyway. Doesn't mean that the big ticket items won't do really well.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There was a nice David Finch batman page, with full Batman and Robin in action that sold on eBay for significantly less (in an actual contested auction) than I expected. And this was after it had been listed with a BIN and didn't sell, then got relisted with a bit of a discount, and didn't sell. Obviously, it was overpriced, but I thought it eventually went for a little more than half of what I expected.

And I also track a lot of eBay auctions, and the BIN stuff almost never sells. A while ago someone here posted about the Defenders#28 Starhwak page that sold on eBay for a sum that was a steal, IMHO. I was following that auction, but could not bid on it. I probably didn't pay that much attention to it, because I assumed it would go for much more than it did, and it was going to be outside my price comfort zone. I'm not a high end collector. I'm, I guess, a budget collector (even though that is still expensive to most people!).

I just think the mid and lower tier stuff is cooling off. That's what I see, anyway. Doesn't mean that the big ticket items won't do really well.

That's probably why I didn't get the same impression as you, I can't remember the last time I checked eBay for artwork. So many prints, posters, art with sky high BINs and NSFW junk clogging the OA areas there that I gave up on it a long time ago.

I didn't realize people still put desirable art on eBay in an auction format anymore. lol 

16 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There was a nice David Finch batman page, with full Batman and Robin in action that sold on eBay for significantly less (in an actual contested auction) than I expected. And this was after it had been listed with a BIN and didn't sell, then got relisted with a bit of a discount, and didn't sell. Obviously, it was overpriced, but it eventually went for a little more than half of what I expected, or what it probably would have 6 months ago.

I've actually noticed a general softness in the lower end market too, especially based on my 1 cent no reserve auction results.  There is less bidding activity, especially at the end when most is expected, and of course some prices are generally lower.

I still get the occasional home run, but quite a few results are softer.

Malvin