• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Waiting on CGC SS Stan Lee Awesome Con
1 1

43 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hear you. Maybe submit enough to make it worth it, but idk maybe if there was someone who handled Stan with quick communication response time. I'm patiently waiting a response but it's been hours. I'm really not losing it yet.  It's closing in on 3 weeks, but I just now found out anything was amiss.

Unfortunately, I only see 2 upcoming signings on his schedule (Palm Springs and Dragon Con).  Since no one on these boards appears to be accepting subs for Dragon Con, I'm kinda forced to submit to whoever is accepting for Palm Springs.  I could drive down to the Con myself, but then that introduces new costs.  I'll probably just submit my books and keep my fingers crossed.  (I wonder if there's a way to insure my books under homeowners insurance or something).

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Does Stan really sign so much that this would be an issue? Kind of crazy really

From what I've read, his handlers move pretty quick and try to get as many sigs through as they can.  Probably because they're taking a commission on each signature as well.  But if anyone has to wait 6 months for books, I would imagine there was a delay in shipping somewhere in the process.  Who knows, all we can do is hope for the best.

12 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Unfortunately, I only see 2 upcoming signings on his schedule (Palm Springs and Dragon Con).  Since no one on these boards appears to be accepting subs for Dragon Con, I'm kinda forced to submit to whoever is accepting for Palm Springs.  I could drive down to the Con myself, but then that introduces new costs.  I'll probably just submit my books and keep my fingers crossed.  (I wonder if there's a way to insure my books under homeowners insurance or something).

From what I've read, his handlers move pretty quick and try to get as many sigs through as they can.  Probably because they're taking a commission on each signature as well.  But if anyone has to wait 6 months for books, I would imagine there was a delay in shipping somewhere in the process.  Who knows, all we can do is hope for the best.

Just an update: the facilitator got back to me and gave me the invoice number, turns out the X-men 12 signed by Stan Lee WAS received the same day as the Marvel Preview 2, July 27th!! Why CGC couldn't find it yesterday, I have no idea lol but after my little break down, I'm glad it turned out alright :) 

X-men 12 is an economy book, fast-track, and they gave it about a month and a half, it's been closing in on 3 weeks; 3 more to go :wishluck:

the Marvel Preview 2 they estimated at 2 months :) 

Yes, I did, the second week of August. So just over two months to get them fast tracked press and graded and to my door. The facilitator I use doesn't hold onto books unless he needs to it seems...He does a great job.

Edited by StarryNight

UPDATE.

On OCTOBER 9th, 2017 I received by comic book.. I am very happy that I finally received my comic book which won't be sold but cherished in my collection as a reminder that I met the great STAN LEE..

PROBLEM:

My receipt claims "TOTAL NOW DUE: $60.40

I paid over $150 for this grading WITHOUT THE TICKET TO HAVE HIM SIGN THIS... I FEEL LIKE I PAID TOO MUCH I could of bought this comic at a higher grade with SS label for the same price I paid for everything...

I am not happy with this but, I might just have to take my loss.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, tommydee89 said:

UPDATE.

On OCTOBER 9th, 2017 I received by comic book.. I am very happy that I finally received my comic book which won't be sold but cherished in my collection as a reminder that I met the great STAN LEE..

PROBLEM:

I paid over $150 for this grading WITHOUT THE TICKET TO HAVE HIM SIGN THIS... I FEEL LIKE I PAID TOO MUCH I could of bought this comic at a higher grade with SS label for the same price I paid for everything...

Are you saying that you got overcharged by mistake?  Or are you stating that you feel that the agreed-upon price is too high? 

Without more information, no one can provide any solid advice. 

20 hours ago, tommydee89 said:

Overcharged... Price Agreed upon?

In your previous post, you stated:

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, tommydee89 said:

I bolded the relevant phrase.

Ok, so you feel like you paid too much and you're not happy about it.  So one of two things likely happened:

1) You were overcharged somewhere along the line.  Maybe you paid twice for the Stan Lee signature?  Maybe you feel you were charged more than the advertised price by the facilitator/witness?  Maybe you were misled on which grading tier to use.  Mschmidt (who can often be found working the CGC booth at some shows) alluded to this earlier in the thread.  See the tier chart attached...express is $100, but is only 6 business days.  It sounds like you were looking for a tier around 25 business days.   Again, you're not giving us much to go on, which makes helping you difficult.

2) You have buyer's remorse and your post was just therapeutic venting.  Maybe you were excited at the prospect of getting your book signed by Stan but now that the book is back in-hand and you're weighing the joy vs. the money expended, you're dissatisfied...i.e. you feel like you paid too much.  All the info was laid out in advance and you were billed properly, but at the end of the day, your personal opinion is that the view wasn't worth the climb. 

Reading your post, I honestly can't tell which it is.  There are a lot of helpful people here on this forum, but they need more information to go on. 

CGC grading.JPG

Or the book in question, you feel you could have paid less for it already signed and graded on ebay (perhaps even higher graded)? without the experience of seeing Stan sign it and waiting in line and waiting so long for it to get back to you? as meeting Stan doesn't seem worth the extra $$ ?

You paid $150? for the SS, witness, and grading? all in one for $150?

I paid $185....I did get mine back within a little over a month. Mine was a Silver Age Book an X-men 12.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Or the book in question, you feel you could have paid less for it already signed and graded on ebay (perhaps even higher graded)? without the experience of seeing Stan sign it and waiting in line and waiting so long for it to get back to you? as meeting Stan doesn't seem worth the extra $$ ?

I paid $185....I did get mine back within a little over a month. Mine was a Silver Age Book an X-men 12.

Having submitted books through Excelsior Collectibles, the $150+ sounds like just the cost for the signature.  I subbed books 2 months ago and the rate was $120 to Stan, $20 to Excelsior, a form fee, then shipping/insurance.  All that should get to the $150+.  It sounds like OP might not have been clear on what was covered in the initial fees.  The $60 might be Value FT plus registered shipping owed to CGC.  Though, I am surprised that Excelsior would complete the order without collecting all dues owed to them first.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 10/13/2017 at 7:44 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No he paid 276 dollars according to one of his posts in which he believes 126 went towards the signature and 150 want to cover the submission. So question is what services did he recieve in the submission, what tier was the book submitted at, and what were his handler's fees? 150 seems high for a book like Amazing Spider-Man 100 to be submitted underneath to be honest yet I would have to see the breakdown of the charges.

That said this may be his first submission so he may need some guidance on good facilitators to use and as well as actual turnaround time vs advertised on the sheets.

This was my first submission, I kinda feel like I was taken advantage of.

I paid $120 for the sig

i paid $153 for the submission

Receipt I have from CGC says total due was $60.40

Im kinda on One and Two. I had a great experience in meeting Stan Lee who actually interacted with us dispite his assembly line style meets. I love Spider-Man and I’m glad I got him to sign a comic before he leaves us. But I feel I was just over charged. I paid in cash, so nothing can be done about it. So I’m just gonna get over it and swallow it and learn from this is all. Thanks guys for all the help, even though I’ve had to repeat myself to some. I’ll find the receipt and show it to you. I’m pretty sure it’s standard tier and not a % based on the books value since the comic is worth $100 tops at this grade

4 hours ago, tommydee89 said:

This was my first submission, I kinda feel like I was taken advantage of.

I paid $120 for the sig

i paid $153 for the submission

Receipt I have from CGC says total due was $60.40

Im kinda on One and Two. I had a great experience in meeting Stan Lee who actually interacted with us dispite his assembly line style meets. I love Spider-Man and I’m glad I got him to sign a comic before he leaves us. But I feel I was just over charged. I paid in cash, so nothing can be done about it. So I’m just gonna get over it and swallow it and learn from this is all. Thanks guys for all the help, even though I’ve had to repeat myself to some. I’ll find the receipt and show it to you. I’m pretty sure it’s standard tier and not a % based on the books value since the comic is worth $100 tops at this grade

I'm confused.  Your original statement upon receiving your book was "TOTAL NOW DUE: $60.40".  Meaning that somehow you now owe CGC an additional $60.40, which is strange because they have a policy of not shipping anything until payment is received. 

Now you're saying the total WAS $60.40, meaning you think the grading was $60.40 and maybe you paid the balance of the $153 for the submission to the facilitator/witness...and maybe that's the source of the feeling of getting charged too much?

And first you're saying it was submitted under the express tier ($100) and now you say you think it's standard tier ($65), both of which cost more than the $60.40 you say you were charged by CGC but doesn't account for shipping.  What does your invoice say???  What was the tier?  What was the shipping method/cost?  Was there an invoice fee? 

I wanted to help you get to the bottom of your situation, but getting any type of clarification or details from you is like pulling teeth.  Maybe one of the other nice boardies will help you.  Best of luck.  I'm out. 

18 hours ago, Turtle said:

I'm confused.  Your original statement upon receiving your book was "TOTAL NOW DUE: $60.40".  Meaning that somehow you now owe CGC an additional $60.40, which is strange because they have a policy of not shipping anything until payment is received. 

Now you're saying the total WAS $60.40, meaning you think the grading was $60.40 and maybe you paid the balance of the $153 for the submission to the facilitator/witness...and maybe that's the source of the feeling of getting charged too much?

And first you're saying it was submitted under the express tier ($100) and now you say you think it's standard tier ($65), both of which cost more than the $60.40 you say you were charged by CGC but doesn't account for shipping.  What does your invoice say???  What was the tier?  What was the shipping method/cost?  Was there an invoice fee? 

I wanted to help you get to the bottom of your situation, but getting any type of clarification or details from you is like pulling teeth.  Maybe one of the other nice boardies will help you.  Best of luck.  I'm out. 

It just says Total.. and It was filed under Value.

By my calculation, this should be your approximate cost

Stan's fee: $120
Excelsior Collectibles fee: $20
Value Fast Track: $42 ($32 + $10)
Shipping: $32 (1 book, registered mail)
Handling Fee: $5

Total: $219

They should have given you a green submission form for your records which should have the cost to CGC (Stan and Excelsiors Fees would be on top of that).  That actually gets close to the $153 + $60.40 which leads me to wonder if you were double charged Stan's signing fee.  And again, I don't understand how CGC is billing you $60.40 when you already have your book back.  It was my understanding that they wouldn't even move it past "verified" without you first settling your bill.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

By my calculation, this should be your approximate cost

Stan's fee: $120
Excelsior Collectibles fee: $20
Value Fast Track: $42 ($32 + $10)
Shipping: $32 (1 book, registered mail)
Handling Fee: $5

Total: $219

They should have given you a green submission form for your records which should have the cost to CGC (Stan and Excelsiors Fees would be on top of that).  That actually gets close to the $153 + $60.40 which leads me to wonder if you were double charged Stan's signing fee.  And again, I don't understand how CGC is billing you $60.40 when you already have your book back.  It was my understanding that they wouldn't even move it past "verified" without you first settling your bill.

I don't think they billed me. I think it was just the total for grading it, shipping it and pressing it was. I'll find the pink receipt here somewhere..

I'm really not worried about it the original post wasnt worrying about the cost.. It was worrying that I wasn't going to get my book. It was four months til I got it and I got paranoid and scared since it was my first time doing it. Next time, I'll know to ask why something is so much. Get a green slip with what is included in cost and make sure what i'm doing is worth it. Other then that, the experience was great. Awesomecon was great. I met everyone I wanted too. Bought some comics and met Stan Lee. Of course I'm going to over pay to experience those things.

2 minutes ago, tommydee89 said:

I'm really not worried about it the original post wasnt worrying about the cost.. It was worrying that I wasn't going to get my book. It was four months til I got it and I got paranoid and scared since it was my first time doing it. Next time, I'll know to ask why something is so much. Get a green slip with what is included in cost and make sure what i'm doing is worth it. Other then that, the experience was great. Awesomecon was great. I met everyone I wanted too. Bought some comics and met Stan Lee. Of course I'm going to over pay to experience those things.

I guess we all focused on the cost when you mentioned that you were worried that you might have paid too much for the signature process.  But now that you mention getting the book pressed, it's starting to make more sense why the book took so long to get back to you.  Even with FastTrack, that's an estimated 50 business days (10 weeks) that a book will take to move through the entire process.  Factor in holidays, the fact that your books probably weren't subbed immediately, and that CGC takes longer during Con season and the time that it took for you to get your book back to you doesn't seem as outrageous.  Glad you're happy with the end product though.