• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RORSCHACH TEST -- WATCH-MAN ORIGINAL ART

36 posts in this topic

Oh, I know. The worst part is that I had the drop on Danker. It was a private sale and I wussed out because of the severe chunk of change required. I learned my lesson though. If you want sweet original art, you've gotta pull the trigger.

Sorry to hear that. I, and I think others, are happy to "overpay" for pieces so they remain private deals. All it takes is for one BSD to go after the same item as you in a public auction and you will either lose out or pay nosebleed prices.

4000 bucks is way less than that owner had (over)paid for it a year earlier, so he was taking a loss as it was. I can see how you would have thought 4000 seemed high, as most Watchmen pages have been running 2-3K. But, that was one of the last pages of the story with some interesting dialogue.

The comic art hobby is pretty quick-paced this way. If you don't pounce on something, it'll slip right through your fingers and likely you'll never get a second chance. A little different than books, in that way, since (in general) with books you typically will have a second chance some day.

Best,

4000 bucks is way less than that owner had paid

You know, it may have been a bit more than that, but not too much. He was selling a really nice Neal Adams page from GL 76 at the same time which Ken also bought and sold again. I briefly considered buying both pieces but decided that I'd rather have my car. wink.gif

4000 bucks is way less than that owner had (over)paid for it a year earlier, so he was taking a loss as it was. I can see how you would have thought 4000 seemed high, as most Watchmen pages have been running 2-3K. But, that was one of the last pages of the story with some interesting dialogue.

The comic art hobby is pretty quick-paced this way. If you don't pounce on something, it'll slip right through your fingers and likely you'll never get a second chance. A little different than books, in that way, since (in general) with books you typically will have a second chance some day.

Best,

Thats why I'll leave the art to you guys - after about $500 I get the, "For that price I could close out a large hole on my want list" vibe. The only antidote for that feeling is George Perez Teen Titans art - that stuff seems to be immune to it until around $1500. 27_laughing.gif

Hi Solar,

Actually, he did pay quite a lot more than 4000, unfortunately. I know him (initials P.L), and I know who he got it from (initials H.K.). Plus, he asked my opinion on it before he bought it, and I told him he's paying way too much and to only buy it if he's planning on keeping it forever as something he's "gotta have."

Anyway, this is already too much detail on a third party. But, if you've got other questions, PM me.

Best,

Hari

I see your point! However, it all depends on your priorities! Every once in a while I get the urge to buy a comic book (yes, that urge still happens from time to time to us art collectors), but then I realize I can fill one of my comic art holes for the same amount!

Just depends on what side of the comic art / comic book wall you're on!

Best,

Sure, if you want to overpay!

As much as I love Watchmen, I just don't see how that page compares in value to a good Adams or Steranko page (similar price range). Think of it this way, there are more pages in Watchmen total than Steranko did in his entire career in comics.