• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic-Con 2018, July 18-22
3 3

133 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, lhcomics said:

On plane now. Will be at show tomorrow. I have no money to buy anything so all the dealers can Ignore me this year.

You could use one or more of your wicked sweet books to trade :) 

Edited by LDarkseid1

A few additional San Diego notes:

-a new edition of the Overstreet was being distributed on the floor hot off the presses.  I believe it was a special edition to raise funds for some comic-related charities.

- the room was really crowded and hard to maneuver.  Of course, this was not due to comic collectors but mostly families and Cos Play folks looking to get free swag or buy non-comic related merchandise

- some other cool books in the room:

-Cap 1, Cap 3 and some pre-Robin Tecs

-Daring Love 1 CGC 2.5 for $2400

-lots of LB Cole jungle covers but no Mask 1,2 or Startling Terror Tales 11 or Suspense 8

-some very cool artwork from Metro, Bechara and Anthony’s including some very nice Frazetta Johnny Comet strips

-Heritage, Comiclink, CGC and CBCS were all there.  heritage was displaying many books in the upcoming August auction and they were pretty.

-a few copies of Startling 49 and Brenda Starr 14(2) and sky high prices

-a large run of Atlas horror, but all trimmed severely were for sale at what seemed like multiples of guide!!!

- Terry had a cool run of very low grade Planets and Mystery Men

- every major dealer seemed to have a Hulk 1, multiple AF 15s and an FF1.  I am wondering if we have hit equilibrium on most Marvel silver age keys given their astronomic price increases.

-heard a lot of requests for 70s books like first Moon Knight and Iron Fist as well as New Gods and Forever People 1s.

-a few esoteric requests for Hansi and Bionic Woman 1

as a final thought, it is always a great feeling to be at San Diego as it is truly a spectacle.  But the hunt for rare and affordable comics is getting to be a real shoot at San Diego.  And given the costs that most dealers must incur, hard to blame them for jacking up the prices as many attendees are looking for deals.  And those deals are becoming farther and fewer to be had.  But if I can get a ticket again next year, I will be attending.  

Edited by BakerFanOne

9 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

A few additional San Diego notes:

-a new edition of the Overstreet was being distributed on the floor hot off the presses.  I believe it was a special edition to raise funds for some comic-related charities.

- the room was really crowded and hard to maneuver.  Of course, this was not due to comic collectors but mostly families and Cos Play folks looking to get free swag or buy non-comic related merchandise

- some other cool books in the room:

-Cap 1, Cap 3 and some pre-Robin Tecs

-Daring Love 1 CGC 2.5 for $2400

-lots of LB Cole jungle covers but no Mask 1,2 or Startling Terror Tales 11 or Suspense 8

-some very cool artwork from Metro, Bechara and Anthony’s including some very nice Frazetta Johnny Comet strips

-Heritage, Comiclink, CGC and CBCS were all there.  heritage was displaying many books in the upcoming August auction and they were pretty.

-a few copies of Startling 49 and Brenda Starr 14(2) and sky high prices

-a large run of Atlas horror, but all trimmed severely were for sale at what seemed like multiples of guide!!!

- Terry had a cool run of very low grade Planets and Mystery Men

- every major dealer seemed to have a Hulk 1, multiple AF 15s and an FF1.  I am wondering if we have hit equilibrium on most Marvel silver age keys given their astronomic price increases.

-heard a lot of requests for 70s books like first Moon Knight and Iron Fist as well as New Gods and Forever People 1s.

-a few esoteric requests for Hansi and Bionic Woman 1

as a final thought, it is always a great feeling to be at San Diego as it is truly a spectacle.  But the hunt for rare and affordable comics is getting to be a real shoot at San Diego.  And given the costs that most dealers must incur, hard to blame them for jacking up the prices as many attendees are looking for deals.  And those deals are becoming farther and fewer to be had.  But if I can get a ticket again next year, I will be attending.  

Thanks so much for your report. The missing stuff is what I collect. Where has this stuff gone? Locked up in collections? Gone to auction? I would also add that I actively look for titles like Four Favorites, Super Mystery, Prize, Speed, Zip, Blue Ribbon and other "off brand" GA. Just don't see it for sale at any price. I was very glad for the Torpedo show. Although this was the case there too, I managed for grab a few scarce books I was looking for. Decent prices. Maybe a smaller show with lower dealer overhead? I probably spent the most with Bedrock, Dale and Worldwide who always has a few rarities and interesting pedigree books at very fair prices. 

I went to the third SDCC and everyone except for two I think up 'till 3 years ago when I gave it up for good. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss it a little. I was offered a pass from a couple of dealers but I turned them down. I think what I miss the most is the vibe and the social aspect more than the funny book shopping. But thanks, to the Torpedo show, I got that part taken care of.

Have fun guys, post what you got and some booth shots to make me feel bad!  

5 hours ago, comicjack said:

Thanks for your report BakerOne sounds like your having fun (thumbsu

I have to admit that I was shocked last year at the quantity of amazing and affordable esoteric books offered last year at SDCC.  I bought about 40+ books and I felt like it was the 1990s all over again.  I bought a lot from Motor City, Dale, Terry and Harley and felt very lucky.  I attended Wonder Con this Spring and picked up a few gems from Dale and A-1 and again felt very happy.

This SDCC was more of what I expected with most cool books 2-3x of what I thought was FMV on many books.  And when I did see reasonable prices, the books were often brittle, heavily stained or restored.  There were definitely a few gems, but still a surprising lack of classic good girl and horror with a few exceptions.

i heard that a few dealers got picked over pretty well on Wednesday night so perhaps a few of the decent buys disappeared on Preview Night.  And maybe a few cool books were picked up today and yesterday by dealers so hopefully a Saturday and Sunday are better.  But there is always flea bay, heritage, comiclink,  ommic connect and next year’s shows!

Edited by BakerFanOne

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks so much for your report. The missing stuff is what I collect. Where has this stuff gone? Locked up in collections? Gone to auction? I would also add that I actively look for titles like Four Favorites, Super Mystery, Prize, Speed, Zip, Blue Ribbon and other "off brand" GA. Just don't see it for sale at any price. I was very glad for the Torpedo show. Although this was the case there too, I managed for grab a few scarce books I was looking for. Decent prices. Maybe a smaller show with lower dealer overhead? I probably spent the most with Bedrock, Dale and Worldwide who always has a few rarities and interesting pedigree books at very fair prices. 

I went to the third SDCC and everyone except for two I think up 'till 3 years ago when I gave it up for good. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss it a little. I was offered a pass from a couple of dealers but I turned them down. I think what I miss the most is the vibe and the social aspect more than the funny book shopping. But thanks, to the Torpedo show, I got that part taken care of.

Have fun guys, post what you got and some booth shots to make me feel bad!  

Sounds like we have the same amazing taste in comics.  ? I have been admiring your incredible collection of toys and comics for the past few years.  Like you, I love the wild cover MLJs, Ace books, as well as pch, classic good girl, Matt Baker and LB Cole.  But every time I finish a run, another title catches my eye.  But I love the thrill of the chase!