• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Francesco Mattina Art Society
2 2

194 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2017 at 3:07 PM, ygogolak said:

This book has been known about long enough that more would have turned up if the right people had them. I would assume they are in peoples collections that don't care to have them graded. And yes, tough book to find.

Found one at a LCS last month for $20, had to have been sitting in the long box for years because this place never puts out anything new in their bins.

So, short answer: they're still out there, don't give up hope

Did you guys see the new venom verse cover for new York comic con? Looks cool. Does anyone know the story behind the cover and who's the other symbiote? Debating regular or virgin cover.

Screenshot_2017-08-20-11-18-51.png

Edited by jason4

On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Polirer said:

Picked up on feebay for $100 raw the guy says it's high grade no imperfections and it should get a 9.8. Coming to NYCC for Mattina to sign.

IMG_0876.PNG

That's a great cover. I'm guessing you are going to have it cgcd right? I would for a book that nice. 

This guy doesn't really do it for me, but judging by the responses in this thread, it sounds like a lot of people like him.  I think I have some of his early stuff 1997 - 2010.  Gonna have to check. :grin:

On 8/20/2017 at 6:51 PM, jason4 said:

Did you guys see the new venom verse cover for new York comic con? Looks cool. Does anyone know the story behind the cover and who's the other symbiote? Debating regular or virgin cover.

Screenshot_2017-08-20-11-18-51.png

I love this cover, and am getting a CGC SS Mattina copy. I read the book on Wednesday (released on Sep 6, though the NYCC variant is only released at the end of the month at NYCC), and based on the story, who's on the cover...

Spoiler

I assume the other symbiote is Spider-Man. The book's main storyline is that some creatures (unnamed but referred to as "poisons") are taking over symbiotes from the symbiote homeworld (I think!), and Dr. Strange is bringing symbiotes that have attached to various heroes from alternate universes to fight them and save the symbiote race. Eddie Brock's Venom is brought in, and he and Spider-Man (from an alternate universe where Parker kept the symbiote) go off on a mission side-by-side together... (before something happens at the end of the book, which I won't spoil for those who may want to read it)

17 hours ago, darkstar said:

Apparently not entirely his work.

Kind of a bad day for any Mattina fan, with this kind of news dropping.

???Why, though? Mattina's art is amazing on it's own, absolutely no reason for him to bite another's art!

I'm disappointed in him, how could he stoop to Rob L. tactics? lol*for the record I still like Rob Liefeld...*

23 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Kind of a bad day for any Mattina fan, with this kind of news dropping.

???Why, though? Mattina's art is amazing on it's own, absolutely no reason for him to bite another's art!

I'm disappointed in him, how could he stoop to Rob L. tactics? lol*for the record I still like Rob Liefeld...*

Ok so what did I miss? Anyone have a link to the scandal?

1 hour ago, CKinTO said:

Thanks, I'm sorry but it's not a big deal. It's not like someone else is painting for him and he takes the credit. So he saw something that inspired him, that's what art does. And the other artist should be flattered.