• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Francesco Mattina Art Society
2 2

194 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Polirer said:

Thanks, I'm sorry but it's not a big deal. It's not like someone else is painting for him and he takes the credit. So he saw something that inspired him, that's what art does. And the other artist should be flattered.

You may think that, but he didn't credit him at all. It was not an honorable thing to do. The way the proportions match up so precisely, points that he used it as a template and just reworked it a bit. It is a total ripoff, and as I said is not one bit honorable.

1 hour ago, Polirer said:

Thanks, I'm sorry but it's not a big deal. It's not like someone else is painting for him and he takes the credit. So he saw something that inspired him, that's what art does. And the other artist should be flattered.

Inspiration? Lmao

25 minutes ago, Nino_013 said:

Even the way her knee is colored/shaded suggests that at least the bottom half is a just a paintover. Wonder if any of his other work was also inspired..

FB_IMG_1505400138638.jpg

:golfclap:that is some killer detective work man. That is solid proof it is a near total rip. The shadow on the thigh..... wow, and freckle spot still on the jeans...

17 hours ago, Polirer said:

Maybe in the Renaissance Age that was OK. But not today. You don't take credit for someone else's work and if it's a homage, you should credit it, IMO.

I agree, this looks way too similar to be coincidence, and without any credit given, that's pretty bad... Given how talented Mattina is, he didn't need to do this, and with Lee's work being public, can't imagine he wouldn't think he would get away with it! Especially in today's age of covers being posted everywhere!

6 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

:golfclap:that is some killer detective work man. That is solid proof it is a near total rip. The shadow on the thigh..... wow, and freckle spot still on the jeans...

Thanks man but i just came across that pic commented on the artist's fb page... so i wont take credit for it.:whistle:

40 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Then they both got it from Gangs of New York when Leonardo DiCaprio's Amsterdam Vallon nearly "fishhooked" McGloin.  Wonder where Scorsese got it from?

Yep ok.. Youre saying theres no other way to depict a guy getting fish hooked, other than from that angle, in that composition?

2 minutes ago, Nino_013 said:

Yep ok.. Youre saying theres no other way to depict a guy getting fish hooked, other than from that angle, in that composition?

We might be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  The second illustrator may have been copying but there are some differences.  Batman is only using one hand and the angles of the faces are different.  The reason I brought up Gangs was during dinner tonight, right before reading the post, I flipped on HBO and saw that scene.  Point was it wasn't an original idea for either illustrator.