• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Brave & The Bold #28
1 1

53 posts in this topic

That's a beautiful copy. Hard to judge without scans but looks to be in the 7-8 range. A press could help. A little concerned about possible trimming. It may be the angle of the picture but have you checked the dimensions?

21 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

That's a beautiful copy. Hard to judge without scans but looks to be in the 7-8 range. A press could help. A little concerned about possible trimming. It may be the angle of the picture but have you checked the dimensions?

It's a perfectly rectangular copy.  It was on a piece of white matte board to take the picture and that was bowed up a bit so it made it look distorted.  Here are some other shots...they are bit blurry because of the camera I used.

P1060718.JPG

P1060719.JPG

Edited by zipbags

Either those are holes on the Front Cover or color touch that has bled through. I also see a stain at the top of the spine. I'll pend an opinion on grade until we learn about the possible color touch.

34 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Either those are holes on the Front Cover or color touch that has bled through. I also see a stain at the top of the spine. I'll pend an opinion on grade until we learn about the possible color touch.

I have to agree. That looks suspiciously like color touch bleeding. I would also check the dimensions just to be sure.

57 minutes ago, zipbags said:

Their are no holes on the cover...Not sure what color touch is.

Well, then you have a restored book, Sorry. See the dots on the inside of the FC near the spine, running vertical. Somebody touched up the whole spine. If you just bought this book, try and get your money back. Since there is Color Touch there may also be trimming, which is even worse. Sorry but this is not good.

26 minutes ago, zipbags said:

Sorry...I haven't responded.  I purchased this book back in the mid-80's....So I am not sure if they had color touch back then.  I appreciate all of the opinions here.

Yes. By the early 80s, a portion of the Mile-High books already had been glued and color-touched.

Although the scan quality is poor, there appears to be color touch evident on the spine and the cover without even discussion of whether that's bleed through or holes seen on the inside cover. If cut, it was trimmed on the right side although the book appears to be quite normal for factory cut on the back cover view.

Again, I'm 50/50 on trim from the front cover and a better scan, higher resolution would seal the deal either way. I can come a lot closer and eliminate almost al guesswork with that better scan.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Well, then you have a restored book, Sorry. See the dots on the inside of the FC near the spine, running vertical. Somebody touched up the whole spine. If you just bought this book, try and get your money back. Since there is Color Touch there may also be trimming, which is even worse. Sorry but this is not good.

If he bought this in the early 80s, his money back is the last thing he would want. My guess is that the early 80s price on this was less than $1000, even without full disclosure. In 2018, even with amateur ct and if trimmed (50/50 at this point), he'll get at least triple that and probably more.

Edited by James J Johnson

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Terrapin said:

I have to agree. That looks suspiciously like color touch bleeding. I would also check the dimensions just to be sure.

Dimensions aren't a foolproof way to determine trim. Every book is a different size. Tolerances for 1950s and 1960s comics were very lax.

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Beautiful book, but not much question the black line of the spine was touched up with a pen with the resulting bleedthrough. I'd guess an Apparent 7.0 or thereabouts.

5.0 to 5.5. Though the scan  res is poor, more than initially meets the eye in the way of wear can be hinted at in what can be seen. Plus the color touch was horribly botched in that Flash red area scuff.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

5.0 to 5.5. Though the scan  res is poor, more than initially meets the eye in the way of wear can be hinted at in what can be seen. Plus the color touch was horribly botched in that Flash red area scuff.

I concur with everything you said and agree on the grade range. There is a stain at the top of the spine and CGC will hold the CT against the grade. An Apparent grade is different than a Qualified grade. With an apparent, the resto counts against the grade, it is not ignored like a Qualified. IMO, this book will get an Apparent 5.5, assuming there is no trim (I don't think there is trim).

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur with everything you said and agree on the grade range. There is a stain at the top of the spine and CGC will hold the CT against the grade. An Apparent grade is different than a Qualified grade. With an apparent, the resto counts against the grade, it is not ignored like a Qualified. IMO, this book will get an Apparent 5.5, assuming there is no trim (I don't think there is trim).

I only wish we had scans with higher resolution. It's a super-key book worth thousands and deserves the best analysis we can offer based on us being able to see a lot more than, at this point, we can't.

2 minutes ago, ROBTOTHEC said:

WHY Aren't you providing scans.  Your pics are blurry and I wouldn't even want to give it a grade as is.   Obvious color touch as well. 

The color-touch is incomplete as well, that is; only portions of the stresses treated and other portions not but should of for at least a homogenous look. There's already too much ink as it is for removal. IMO, once cut away, those areas with ink seepage excised, that would devastate the overall eye appeal that this copy does have.

The smartest play here would be to have the work undone and then completed correctly and totally, which would mean spine work and pro color-touch, and whatever other areas, like the Flash, that are color-touched to be similarly corrected. At least in this way, an apparent grade of as much as 8.5 may be possible in the hands of a real pro.  

Is 

On 1/29/2018 at 2:27 PM, Point Five said:

Beautiful book, but not much question the black line of the spine was touched up with a pen with the resulting bleedthrough. I'd guess an Apparent 7.0 or thereabouts.

Is there color touch top left corner too? It appears to be that are a stain, I m going with color touch in that spot amongst others. I think it has most likely been trimmed.   I think the holes and tear at aquaman's foot will knock it to a 5.0-5.5. I had a 9.0 book knocked down to a 7.5 due to a single tiny pin hole on the spine (which i missed).