• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay question...looking for advice.

29 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to garner some advice.

Sold a graded book on eBay...posted plenty of pics.  Today i get the following from the buyer:

'So before I open a claim.... I wanted to ask you if you could tell me why the case seems tampered with? The sides open up and the top left corner and the bottom right corner have stress marks. This looks tampered with....so before I send my evidence to PayPal, can you explain?'

I know that some generations of cases are able to open on the long side but i've had this book a while and have never noticed any tampering.  I don't wanna call BS but I don't want to acquiesce if there's nothing wrong and it's just buyers remorse.

any advice would be appreciated.

Show some pics here so we can give our opinion. Opening up on the sides is no big deal = not a sign of tampering. Also, what does he mean by stress marks. It's either cracked or not cracked, the term 'stressed' does not apply to a slab.

Tell him yes the old slabs you can pull apart the sides but absolutely I will accept a return if you are dissatisfied for any reason thx for shopping with me.

Then block him.

Acknowledge you will accept a return if necessary.  Ask your customer to call cgc directly tomorrow and forward them pictures or let them explain how the cases Are constructed.  This will give them a third party opinion, both of you will be satisfied with cgc' explanation on if the case was tapered with, or damaged. 

59 minutes ago, kav said:

Tell him yes the old slabs you can pull apart the sides but absolutely I will accept a return if you are dissatisfied for any reason thx for shopping with me.

Then block him.

That looks like the new style case.  Not familiar with the book, but doesn't appear to be anything you could tamper with for profit....,

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That looks like the new style case.  Not familiar with the book, but doesn't appear to be anything you could tamper with for profit....,

How can you tell new case from old?

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

first appearance of the Transformers in comics, and it's the case before the new case I believe

1 hour ago, kav said:

The label?

2 hours ago, kav said:

Then block him.

+1

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The label?

How can you tell the new label from the old?

13 minutes ago, kav said:

How can you tell the new label from the old?

A number of ways:

The Page Quality is in the numeric grade box on the new cases.....with the new label

Also the "print" of the Numeric grade is also a lot bolder and thicker

If you looked at 2 side by side you'd notice a lot of differences....

also the background "blue" on the new cases are a different shade of blue .... a little darker

also on the new cases there is a "faded print 'CGC'" showing where the Page quality usually shows on the old cases

hold on while I get links :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

A number of ways:

The Page Quality is in the numeric grade box on the new cases.....with the new label

also the background "blue" on the new cases are a different shade of blue .... a little darker

thx!

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

first appearance of the Transformers in comics, and it's the case before the new case I believe

1 hour ago, kav said:

The label?

So GPA is $67 in 9.8, and no inner well.  The new cases, even the old new, were welded shut.

Edited by lizards2

A number of ways:

So isnt OPs book an old case cause the page quality isnt in the grade thingy?

A number of ways:

Just now, lizards2 said:

So GPA is $96 in 9.8, and no inner well.  The new cases, even the old new, were welded shut.

Well the case in the Transformers he has is the old new that you can fit paper between; the new new cases don't seperate at the side

1 minute ago, kav said:

Yes that is why the buyer from the original poster may be new to collecting and has never seen the old case and be confused that it "looks different" or "seperates" or "is not the same looking as what they get back from CGC

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes that is why the buyer from the original poster may be new to collecting and has never seen the old case and be confused that it "looks different" or "seperates" or "is not the same looking as what they get back from CGC

This is all making sense now.