• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2018 Art Daze

8 posts in this topic

Another SDCC has come and gone, fun and crazy at the same time. Hung out at Hermes Press most of the time where we premiered some new books including Bernie Wrightson: Art and Designs for the Gang of Seven Animation Studio, Jim Davis’ Garfield: The Original Art Daily and Sunday Archive and Frank Thorne’s Battling Beauties. The Garfield sold out very quick and the Wrightson book and panel on friday were very popular. SDCC always has great art, on preview night I got to check out what all the dealers had. Burkey and Albert always had some great pieces. I see Burkey ended up with the Submariner #1 splash, boy has the prices gone up on Big John’s run on the series. Of the art dealers I think Mitch had some of the best pieces including 2 sweet Batman #14 pages penciled and inked by Robinson, Simonson Thor commission, Silver Surfer #14 panel (one of my favorites featuring SS), Infantino Adam Strange splash, Wrightson Frankenstein plate, plus two Bloom County strips featuring Opus. I only bought pages from two dealers, a nice Silver Star by Stanley Pitt from Albert Moy and Essential Sequential had Andy Kubert who brought some of his art for sale, which I got a nice X-Men #28 page. Unfortunately they were at the other end of the hall so I wasn’t able to be there when Andy was signing.

Before the show Bill WIllingham posted on his website that he was taking single figure inked commissions and I setup one featuring Pandra from Ironwood. I was blown away when I picked it up on wednesday, Bill went above and beyond my expectation. I also got two small pieces he had for sale in his portfolio. I picked up a Doctor Who page from Burkey, which was a purchase from Bill Cox, unfortunately Bill couldn’t make it to SDCC (get well Bill). Thursday a guy had a portfolio of artwork for sale he had brought to the con, Off-White said he had a piece by Vess I might be interested in, it was the prelim from Marvel Fanfare #37 featuring Loki (missing the heads of Thor and Warriors Three who are on the published cover). Really nice example by Vess, Thanks Mike. Jim Balent was setup near Hermes Press and he was drawing so I asked for a piece for my iPod theme, turned out great. Also picked up a Mandy drawing from Yeagel and a great Red Sonja cover from Mike McKone.
The SDCC: Original Art Dinner was a great success we had 17 people show up at the Edge Water Grill. Even with it being at the same time as the Simonson dinner. All had a great time eating, talking and sharing artwork, thanks for all that showed up (too many to name and I know I will forget someone). Looking forward to doing it next year and maybe even having a bigger turnout.
All in all another fun and tiring con. Picked up some great artwork, saw alot of collectors and Hermes Press did well selling many of the books I worked on. SDCC 2018 will be arriving sooner than you think.

Here are a couple of the pieces I picked up and a link to the rest of CAF.

Doctor_Who_Collector_end.jpg

Pandora_iPod.jpg

Scardy_car-Ipod.jpg

3 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

the balent came out great.  was that an at show piece?  also was he a hard get?

He was drawing at his booth for most of the show. He was only charging $100 for the drawings, a great deal.

Beautiful Catwoman by Balent! I saw him post the work in progress, can't believe he was drawing for only $100!

Great value.  Before (in Pittsburgh) they were either free quick sketches or 300 for predone ones, as detailed as yours.