• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any moderns you would definitely NOT recommend ?

26 posts in this topic

Cho hulk

42 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Stay away from modern age marvel 2005-present 

No way, there's been some killer stuff since then, stuff like Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, War of Kings, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid runs on Daredevil, Brubaker Cap, Tom King's recent Vision stuff, Captain Britain and MI13, Agents of Atlas, so much good stuff, and that's just off the top of my head. On whole their events have been really weak, and the overall direction maybe not the best, but there have definitely been some gems in there.

The recent Thunderbolts is... not great. Any of those throwaway titles like Slapstick and Foolkiller have been pretty weak imo.

52 minutes ago, AMightyEsquilax said:

No way, there's been some killer stuff since then, stuff like Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, War of Kings, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid runs on Daredevil, Brubaker Cap, Tom King's recent Vision stuff, Captain Britain and MI13, Agents of Atlas, so much good stuff, and that's just off the top of my head. On whole their events have been really weak, and the overall direction maybe not the best, but there have definitely been some gems in there.

The recent Thunderbolts is... not great. Any of those throwaway titles like Slapstick and Foolkiller have been pretty weak imo.

In the same wein: dont forget Hickman Avengers ... ! 

Epic

3 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Stay away from modern age marvel 2005-present 

I'd agree to stay away from most of it, but that is something you can say for most of all comic book content ever created. As others have mentioned there have been some really solid arcs in that time frame.

For instance, Fury (under the MAX imprint) was a pretty good read.

22 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

The entire Bulk of published comics, how much should We stay away from ?

2%

5%

?

Probably a different set for anyone you ask, but in my opinion there is also going to be some overlap on stuff that is simply objectively bad in one way or another... art or writing, etc. I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air here, but I'd have to say that number is at least a third of all output.

6 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Probably a different set for anyone you ask, but in my opinion there is also going to be some overlap on stuff that is simply objectively bad in one way or another... art or writing, etc. I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air here, but I'd have to say that number is at least a third of all output.

I respectfully disagree. 

Id say roughly 50% is commercial filler (to be shunned).

Just now, Mr bla bla said:

I respectfully disagree. 

Id say roughly 50% is commercial filler (to be shunned).

I wouldn't argue with your number too much, but don't forget my distinction between subjective judgement and objective judgement. I can drag up a lot of art from the 90s that is objectively poor for instance, but I can probably pull up just as much if not more from the 70s, but a lot of people have nostalgia that subjectively colors the work in question. When you start talking about items being objectively bad versus subjectively bad it can get really difficult - as in any artistic medium, especially one that is or has typically been child friendly. General production values have certainly gone up over the decades, but a lot of people that were present throughout the years find the newer style choices, such as compression, subjectively bad while some will argue that the choice itself is objectively bad... but I think that is a tough point to make. Still, it is a real gray area.

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

90%

Probably true for the total output of randomized creators including what never gets published. But I think 90% of published comics being bad... that is too high for me to be willing to go, and yet at the same time I can't argue about it too stiffly.

19 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Probably true for the total output of randomized creators including what never gets published. But I think 90% of published comics being bad... that is too high for me to be willing to go, and yet at the same time I can't argue about it too stiffly.

I don't think 90% are bad, but if you're spending time reading any of that 90% then you're missing out to some extent on the 10% that is pretty good.  Which is obviously not a great outcome.   Who knows how many perfectly good hours were lost to JRJR and Frank Miller in the past 3 years of moderns???!!!!!  Just read anything Alan Moore did for DC over and over and over again, you'll never go wrong!!

Image has a very nice line of books. Dark Horse is kicking it back up a notch. I'm enjoying most DC but I'm still struggling with a lot of Marvel comics. Their creators seem angry or pushy. A little depressed maybe ? I don't know but their books just seem off. Right now, I could barely recommend 5 Marvel comics so I guess I'd mostly avoid them. If you don't mind running a little behind, you can read Marvel on the internet cheaply and thats the way to go imo

2 hours ago, revat said:

I don't think 90% are bad, but if you're spending time reading any of that 90% then you're missing out to some extent on the 10% that is pretty good.  Which is obviously not a great outcome.   Who knows how many perfectly good hours were lost to JRJR and Frank Miller in the past 3 years of moderns???!!!!!  Just read anything Alan Moore did for DC over and over and over again, you'll never go wrong!!

^^