• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any moderns you would definitely NOT recommend ?

26 posts in this topic

In terms of quality, I haven’t really found moderns to be much different to BA or SA.

Some standout, excellent titles, lots of unmemorable mediocrity or outright dross. 

On 7/26/2017 at 3:02 PM, SquareChaos said:

Probably true for the total output of randomized creators including what never gets published. But I think 90% of published comics being bad... that is too high for me to be willing to go, and yet at the same time I can't argue about it too stiffly.

I think it largely depends on which publishers you are talking about.  Marvel and DC, yeah, I can see 90% of the comics being bad.  But when you delve into creator owned books, they tend to no be filled with filler, commercial work.

I don't like the design of the covers from Marvel these days...Where is the issue number?  Bottom of the book?  Who was the design genius that came up with that idea and who was the big shot who gave it the green light?  

The art covers look more like posters than a compelling cover to draw a reader in, there's no drama anymore i.e "Who will die???"  or "Get lost Spider-Man, we don't need you!!"   

The dialogue is cheesy and there aren't any ground breaking art styles anymore. 

Comics now are over sexualized and making alternate versions of characters only to make them of color is an epic fail. What's next?  Peter Parker is "transgender" and Bruce Banner is gay and his boyfriend is General Ross and are making wedding plans??  

This is the comic world we live in now.  Thank the left.    

4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Comics now are over sexualized and making alternate versions of characters only to make them of color is an epic fail. What's next?  Peter Parker is "transgender" and Bruce Banner is gay and his boyfriend is General Ross and are making wedding plans??  

:preach:...lol

If Peter Parker getting a sex change stresses me out I'll find another book to read (there are plenty of good books out there).  But if Scott Campbell draws it I'll buy it.  He'll make a transgender Peter Parker sexy(thumbsu.

On topic...I wouldn't recommend Todd McFarlane's "Haunt".  It's just a cookie cutter Spawn.  McFarlane really didn't do anything special with this character and the story was pretty weak.

4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I don't like the design of the covers from Marvel these days...Where is the issue number?  Bottom of the book?  Who was the design genius that came up with that idea and who was the big shot who gave it the green light?  

The art covers look more like posters than a compelling cover to draw a reader in, there's no drama anymore i.e "Who will die???"  or "Get lost Spider-Man, we don't need you!!"   

The dialogue is cheesy and there aren't any ground breaking art styles anymore. 

You sure do use a lot of words to tell people to get off your lawn.