• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PETER PARKER SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #1 1:500 ANDRU VARIANT
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I started this thread in the Bronze Age because I thought there would be more discussion.

In searching ebay, I just recently noticed the PPSSM #1 with a Ross Andru cover.

I recognized the image from Marvel Team Up #3.  Notice the webbing coming from Spider-Man's hands is very choppy.  The storyline in MTU#3 involves Spider-Man swinging through the city, with a sudden bout of illness causing him to almost lose consciousness. 

I guess I am disappointed with the image selection.  Not that I would buy the issue either way, having been out of the collecting phase for five years, but the selection is a head scratcher for me.  I hate the way you can't even see the face of Spider-Man because his arm extends in front of it.

Just flipping through a few copies of ASM, I found several I thought would have made a better cover image.  Something like this page from ASM 141. 

Maybe they didn't want to do any work resizing it.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

PPSM1_Ross_Andru.jpg

MTU3_page4.jpg

amazingspiderman141page.jpg

Edited by Spider-Variant
Clarification

I remember that also.  Can't imagine why an image of sick Spidey would be good cover fodder as it is so closely related to the story it originated from.  I suppose the person who picked it didn't read the story.  Very odd, I agree.

On 26/07/2017 at 5:37 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I started this thread in the Bronze Age because I thought there would be more discussion.

In searching ebay, I just recently noticed the PPSSM #1 with a Ross Andru cover.

I recognized the image from Marvel Team Up #3.  Notice the webbing coming from Spider-Man's hands is very choppy.  The storyline in MTU#3 involves Spider-Man swinging through the city, with a sudden bout of illness causing him to almost lose consciousness. 

I guess I am disappointed with the image selection.  Not that I would buy the issue either way, having been out of the collecting phase for five years, but the selection is a head scratcher for me.  I hate the way you can't even see the face of Spider-Man because his arm extends in front of it.

Just flipping through a few copies of ASM, I found several I thought would have made a better cover image.  Something like this page from ASM 141. 

Maybe they didn't want to do any work resizing it.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

PPSM1_Ross_Andru.jpg

MTU3_page4.jpg

amazingspiderman141page.jpg

Ross Andru was my favourite Spidey artist so I was intrigued by the post title. I used to collect all variants but stopped a while back and don't really follow the latest 1:76,000 shenanigans any more. I think the idea of a posthumous Andru homage is good, as he was always underrated in my view and it's a nice nod to the past for those of us who were there. But the choice of image is poor as it hardly represents his best work and is not an iconic image like, say, the recent Romita Goblin ASM variant. I recognise it instantly as Andru but I doubt many would and the lack of reference to him could mean this will pass many collectors by.

Overall,  it comes across to me as another cheap excuse for a money making variant and does little to honour the memory of the artist, if that was the intention. 

On a separate point, looking at the cover image you posted, I wonder why they still put 'Direct Edition' on the barcodes now seeing as newsstands stopped years ago and, therefore, the distinction is unnecessary? 

Thanks for the replies guys.  I guess it's not that they used a sick Spider-Man, it's more that his arm goes across his face that bothers me.

I got off the comics train at issue 600 of amazing spider-man, primarily because it was hard (& expensive) keeping up with all the variants.  I loved a few here and there, but there just became too many.  It got worse after I left.  

Interesting note on the Direct Edition barcode.

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  I guess it's not that they used a sick Spider-Man, it's more that his arm goes across his face that bothers me.

I got off the comics train at issue 600 of amazing spider-man, primarily because it was hard (& expensive) keeping up with all the variants.  I loved a few here and there, but there just became too many.  It got worse after I left.  

Interesting note on the Direct Edition barcode.

I stopped after 700. Well, Superior actually. Trust me. It got very worse :pullhair:

17 hours ago, bababooey said:

ugh, not liking the modern hue of the colorized version but I was out at 1:500 anyways.  :p
Sparky will like this one @Marwood & I

Image result for amazing spider-man 797 andru variant

Thanks for the heads up TripleB - I'm with you, I don't like the colouring either. It is nice to see Ross get some recognition though. I like his Goblin the best.

This makes me sick like spidey. I hate when they recycle art color it differently and make it a super rare turd sandwich. 

I like cover recreations better where they take an old concept, redraw it and add their own interpretation or something.

I guess I like Marvel is somewhat honoring Ross Andru with these variant covers,  but I would be even happier if they weren't limited edition make-money schemes.   Any time Ross gets highlighted it makes me glad, especially if we can discuss him in 2018.

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I guess I like Marvel is somewhat honoring Ross Andru with these variant covers,  but I would be even happier if they weren't limited edition make-money schemes.   Any time Ross gets highlighted it makes me glad, especially if we can discuss him in 2018.

It might be that it was a work for hire and before artist got royalties. Bob Layton was talking about that issue at the Nickel City con. 

I think Andru left Marvel right around the time the work for hire contracts were getting done (summer of '78).  I have to wonder if the use of his work lately is a result of some agreement with his estate. (shrug)

To keep this top secret Ross Andru fan thread going...here's the OA where the 797 cover image came from...

Image result for ross andru spider-man comic page