• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you buy your comics at?

19 posts in this topic

Recently I've been buying what I like and I'm only buying 9.8 graded copies, but they're are some comics that come out from week to week that I want as well.  Weapon X #5 is one that I want along with some of these Totally Awesome Hulk copies etc.  (W.M.D.)  Anyways some of the comic shops in my area don't carry some of these titles so I've been buying them online at mycomicshop.com.  The trouble is though that the quality of books I'm receiving hasn't been the best.  The books are described as near mint, but it seems like they're painting in very broad strokes here.  If I'm buying 9.8 graded copies then I don't see why the raw copies I add to my collection should be any different, right?  Anyways, some of the books  have fuzzy corners, dents, small creases in the spine etc and returning them is out of the question.  It just seems like out of 10 books ordered maybe three of them are acceptable.  I've got a stack of lemons so to say that just keeps growing and growing unfortunately.  Is there a place online where one can buy quality raw copies from week to week or am I just going to have to keep rolling the dice?  Thanks. 

When I was still buying new books, I always had good luck with DCBS. I prepaid for them to bag and board them, and they pretty much always came NM/M.

I used to always buy books from my LCBS but I had the same problem with going there and trying to pick the pristine comic every Wednesday.

Ive started buying online and have been using comicmarketstreet and I haven't looked back. Everything comes bag and boarded and since it's small you just update a google spreadsheet on what you want.

Ive heard great things also about DCBS but jeezus navigating through that site is annoying

Midtown

TFAW

eBay

LCS

Normally in that order. I'm currently buying much more through ebay than anywhere else right now. There are always deals on ebay during and around the majors cons. SDCC, NYCC, and those close to them seem to suck the money out of the room which leaves bargains galore. December is also a very big ebay BUY month for me. The rest of the time, its all Midtown, TFAW, and the LCS, or local collections.

If it's not a store exclusive I use midtown comics. Their packaging is by far the best and can take any postage beating. 

I ordered a store exclusive comic from unknown comics and it had lots if defects. I messaged them on Facebook and sent them a pic and they shipped me a better copy.

15 hours ago, thedathe said:

What is DCBS?

Also, I'd do some research on midtown. I ordered about 40 books from them and half weren't really NM. Should check their Yelp reviews regarding their online store too.

Discount Comic Book Service

I buy through my LCS and back issues through mycomicshop and have always been impressed in the condition of their books and quality of there packaging. No one is perfect but after 30 to 40 transactions I have never had a single issue. I also find their pricing to be fair and I like the consignment method they use. Very often because they consign the price is set by the customer and I'll see a 9.8 of a certain book selling for $299 from one seller then on the same page see the same book from another seller in 9.8 condition for $449. Obviously I buy the $299 as long as mycomicshop doesn't list any defects in the slab which I've seem them do when defects are present. In other words if the slab was scuffed they'd let you know before you buy. Occasionally you'll run across a jewel where a customer is selling a hot book in 9.8 condition for a ridiculously low price but this is rare. I've never ordered off of eBay and refuse to by or sell from them.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:11 AM, poppy73 said:

I've never ordered off of eBay and refuse to by or sell from them.

I'll chime in with the opposite.  I'm on eBay since September 1997.  My local comic shops never have anything I need, plus they overgrade and overprice their raws.  Mycomicshop is a good choice, but I only notice them when they are in the eBay results for my searches.  I never buy raw books online unless I assume the grade is two to four grades lower than the seller claims and the price is still fair.

MyComicShop is absolutely insane with their "NM" books.  I totally swore them off after several attempts at asking them if their"QC" people are drunk or just stupid.  I have gotten 6.0-7.0 books listed as NM 9.4.  Never buy from them anymore.  TFAW and Midtown have both let me down soooo many times with their packaging, and overall book quality, that they have been dropped long ago too.  I have a few very good LCS options locally but I have recently closed my long time pull box just to take a little break from weekly books.  I'll still probably pick a few thing up here and there, though.  

My main preorder source is DCBS hands down.  I get the books shipped in mylar/fullbacks.  It is a bit expensive but everything being 40-50% as another said totally outweighs this for me personally.  Also, their shipping has NEVER let me down and all books I receive from them, with the exception of a few from time to time, land in the 9.4-9.8 range.