• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor Collecting Thread!
3 3

118 posts in this topic

I searched to the Bifrost Bridge and back, but it appears I'd have an easier time lifting Mjolnir than finding a thread dedicated to the God of Thunder. I'm nowhere near the biggest Thor collector (I hope), but I find it hard to understand how of all the Silver Age Marvel threads created there hasn't been one for the third hero (tied with Spidey, I believe) of the Marvel Age of Comics. I don't exactly have the search skills of Heimdall, so I probably missed the thread (if it does exist). If it doesn't, here's one to start the party, with a special guest appearance by the Absorbing Man!

RADC9FB22017712_17313.jpg

Edited by Black_Adam

Thanks for the link! My hunt for it had about as much success as one of Volstagg's diets...even with you pointing me in the right direction, I still can't get the thread to show on a search! :tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, Pontoon said:

That thread is severely neutered. Might as well start anew. Not sure what I have scanned, but here's my JIM #104.

JIM104.jpg~original

I love this cover, and consider it a classic along side JIM89.

I would think that putting a early SA run of Thor would be relatively inexpensive in 8.0 once you've purchased whatever copy of 83 you can afford.

I'm toying with the idea.

If you were putting a SA run where would you stop?

4 minutes ago, piper said:

I would think that putting a early SA run of Thor would be relatively inexpensive in 8.0 once you've purchased whatever copy of 83 you can afford.

Always debatable as to when the Silver Age ended, but if I was completing a SA Thor run I would stop at #192 (last 15-cent issue).

24 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Always debatable as to when the Silver Age ended, but if I was completing a SA Thor run I would stop at #192 (last 15-cent issue).

I agree with this. But if you don't want to go that far, then maybe just the Journey Into Mystery issues, 83-125 and Annual 1.

31 minutes ago, piper said:

After Kirby left for me.

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

I go from JIM 83 up to Thor 265, that is where I stopped.

All raw with the early JIM's in lower grade.

Unfortunately my JIM 83 is a GRR in VF- 7.5

Journey Into Mystery 83 Golden Records Reprint   VF-7.5.JPG

Just completing this run (in any condition) is an accomplishment of Asgardian proportion, and there's nothing unfortunate about owning a GRR JIM 83 that looks as nice as this one! (thumbsu

On 7/27/2017 at 3:12 PM, piper said:

Thors after 126 are definitely cheap.  I've been plugging away at them seriously in the last 5 years, and been very satisfied with the raw copies I've been able to find.

Journey Into Mystery is a tough run to build in nice shape from 83-112.  I can't picture another silver age title where the number of low grade copies available for sale dwarfs the number of mid and high grade copies as much as those early JIMs.  Dealer bins are always overflowing with low grade copies that don't turn over.  I wonder if that's been turning off collectors from buying Thor, and has kept demand down and prices low for all these years.

Thor is a great run.  The Lee/Kirby stories and art are terrific, and the issues are affordable even in really nice shape.

Here's a few scans of the run posted before, but now inaccessible thanks to Photobucket shenanigans.

Thor126sale.JPG