• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor Collecting Thread!
3 3

118 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jaja-mon12 said:

Thanks buddy! Sorry, but I was looking for a high grade copy of this for awhile.:wink:

No worries at all.  It's a gorgeous book and I'm always happy to see someone with a genuine passion win it.  At least I didn't lose out to someone who's going to turn around and flip it.  :)

Obviously this is now officially a "movie book" thanks to Thor: Ragnarok.  Another newly-anointed movie book, Thor #150, has been really hard to track down for some reason even though I have to imagine it's at least an order of magnitude more common than JIM #102 and #103.

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No worries at all.  It's a gorgeous book and I'm always happy to see someone with a genuine passion win it.  At least I didn't lose out to someone who's going to turn around and flip it.  :)

Obviously this is now officially a "movie book" thanks to Thor: Ragnarok.  Another newly-anointed movie book, Thor #150, has been really hard to track down for some reason even though I have to imagine it's at least an order of magnitude more common than JIM #102 and #103.

Thanks, I'll have this book for a longtime. I haven't seen the movie, but I hope they did the Enchantress & Executioner justice.(thumbsu

I believe JIM #102 & #103 is much rarer than Thor #150.hm

10 minutes ago, jaja-mon12 said:

Thanks, I'll have this book for a longtime. I haven't seen the movie, but I hope they did the Enchantress & Executioner justice.(thumbsu

I believe JIM #102 & #103 is much rarer than Thor #150.hm

No doubt.

Sounds like in addition to not seeing the movie, you also managed to avoid all of the hype around it.  :smile:  The Executioner is in it, but not the Enchantress.  Hela is the main villain, which is why I mentioned #102 (her first appearance) and #150 (her first cover, I believe).

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No doubt.

Sounds like in addition to not seeing the movie, you also managed to avoid all of the hype around it.  :smile:  The Executioner is in it, but not the Enchantress.  Hela is the main villain, which is why I mentioned #102 (her first appearance) and #150 (her first cover, I believe).

I try not to get caught up into the movie hype for certain characters making an appearance in a movie b/c it will usually blow over, unless it's a mega key/character/hero.hm I think that's why that JIM #103 CGC 9.0 on CL sold for $5.3K a few months ago b/c of the movie hype, so I considered that to be an outlier for that final price. 

Oh okay, so just the Executioner then. Well I guess that still means we can/will see the Enchantress down the road in a future movie⁉️

Did they do Hela any justice in the movie? What is the going prices for a JIM #102 & Thor #150 in grades 9.0 & up anyway? I don't subscribe to GPA.:wink:

6 hours ago, jaja-mon12 said:

I try not to get caught up into the movie hype for certain characters making an appearance in a movie b/c it will usually blow over, unless it's a mega key/character/hero.hm I think that's why that JIM #103 CGC 9.0 on CL sold for $5.3K a few months ago b/c of the movie hype, so I considered that to be an outlier for that final price. 

Oh okay, so just the Executioner then. Well I guess that still means we can/will see the Enchantress down the road in a future movie⁉️

Did they do Hela any justice in the movie? What is the going prices for a JIM #102 & Thor #150 in grades 9.0 & up anyway? I don't subscribe to GPA.:wink:

Just my opinion, but I absolutely loved this movie.

I believe they "did Hela justice" in that Cate Blanchett's portrayal was amazing and the costuming (including CGI) was extraordinarily faithful to Jack Kirby's wondrous vision.  That said, it is a valid criticism of the movie's plot (small spoiler alert) that much of the action takes place far away from Hela and that she spends most of the movie speechifying and waiting for Thor to come back to Asgard for the final battle.

As for prices, I've given up on using GPA as a guide for certain titles, most notably FF and JIM / Thor!  The gap feels really wide right now.

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just my opinion, but I absolutely loved this movie.

I believe they "did Hela justice" in that Cate Blanchett's portrayal was amazing and the costuming (including CGI) was extraordinarily faithful to Jack Kirby's wondrous vision.  That said, it is a valid criticism of the movie's plot (small spoiler alert) that much of the action takes place far away from Hela and that she spends most of the movie speechifying and waiting for Thor to come back to Asgard for the final battle.

As for prices, I've given up on using GPA as a guide for certain titles, most notably FF and JIM / Thor!  The gap feels really wide right now.

Okay thanks. Hopefully, I can watch it in the next few days or so.(thumbsu Yeah, GPA is good reference, but not the complete law of the land. I'll see if I can find some info elsewhere.:wink:

On 28/7/2017 at 5:12 AM, piper said:

I would think that putting a early SA run of Thor would be relatively inexpensive in 8.0 once you've purchased whatever copy of 83 you can afford.

I'm toying with the idea.

If you were putting a SA run where would you stop?

The run really ended with #169. This includes the first appearances of the Wrecker, Mangog, Warlock (still called Him at this stage) and the Origin of Galactus saga. In high grade these issues are ULTRA rare.

Edited by World Devourer

The most valuable Thor issue at the end of the run is Thor #168, of which there are 2 copies in 9.8.

One sold in Aug. 2017 for $11,800 (a real collector's price). 

The #156 rated a perfect 10 sold in Dec. 2002 for $5K, and has yet to re-appear. It will trump the #168 when finally on sale.

Here's a thought - you have to go all the way back to #126 to locate another issue of Thor in 9.8 that matches and exceeds these later gems in price.

I kept my Thor and jim when I sold my collection to Storms in Sept. As the moment, I regret nothing. I read two every night. No slabs and I drop them on the floor when I fall asleep.  Every one from the news stands at market fifty years ago. 

You can't   ask for a better deal.

8 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I kept my Thor and jim when I sold my collection to Storms in Sept. As the moment, I regret nothing. I read two every night. No slabs and I drop them on the floor when I fall asleep.  Every one from the news stands at market fifty years ago. 

You can't   ask for a better deal.

Each to their own. Myself, I like the thought of owning the best copy in the world.

12 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Each to their own. Myself, I like the thought of owning the best copy in the world.

A couple of them from my old collection 'became' best copies in the world after I sold them.

Now one of two in 9.8:

JIM115PC.JPG.1a4daff00e0880151e2271df46981f8b.JPG

That's a great storyline. Sadly, it just isn't like that any more.

I read Oeming's storyline in the last issues of the Heroes Reborn Thor (#80 - 85) and as good as it was, it was also a poignant reminder for Thor and reader alike that the past is gone and that you can't go back.