• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of pens can be used safely for signing comic covers?

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I was at a Stan Lee signing and his handler would not allow any changing of pen colors/types.  So, there was Stan Lee signing with a black sharpie and nothing else.  His handler said that Stan will only sign with black sharpie because the other sharpie colors like silver or gold will chip over time and damage the comic book.   Is this true?   I believe he just wants to push the line through as fast as possible and not have anything slow it down.   All other signings that I have been to, the artist or celebrity, is willing to change the pen color per the customer request.

Sorry, I don't know if this has already been discussed.   Thank you.

Ha! I saw an ASM #28 in black on black and it was pointless and idiotic. He was just pushing the line and getting the most out of poor old Stan. I have NEVER had an issue with a celebrity when requesting a specific pen as I am quite particular. I am curious as well to the question as I have seen some fantastic non-blue or black ink signed covers and want to know what kind of specific pens were used, but I have used gold and silver sharpie without any issues. Usually I go to Michael's and buy a handful of colored markers before hand that would look nice matched up against the issue I want done.

That must be a "new rule" because he signed in silver and gold for me at a show 3 months ago!
I think the previous comment is probably more accurate, the line was too long and they didn't want it taking more time constantly switching pens.
If I need a specific color I usually have MY OWN pen ready to go when I walk up and if I'm getting multiple items signed I group them based on pen color.

It's nonsense - metallic-color sharpies won't affect a book any differently than a black sharpie does.

The pens to avoid are the paint pens that McFarlane loved to use in the past (he's no longer using them) - those will, in fact, smear over time.

Yes, I'm also quite particular about the color of pen and how the signature looks. I have a set of the metallic gold / silver / bronze sharpies in addition to the usual black for use, and really like it when facilitators have strong attention-to-detail and do the same.