• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Multi-day Collector's Comic Show
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The Edmonton boardies are discussing taking the show on the road and attending a US show next year. meh

While I freely admit that it sounds like mostly an excuse to go drink beer away from our wives, I would love your thoughts on what show you would recommend and why (e.g. Guest List, Party experience with Boardies, Best GA selection).

As a side note, I've been to the NYC show a couple of times and a couple of the other guys have been to SD in the past.

I have asked a couple of people and heard differing responses, so let the conversation begin...

Edited by piper

I love Emerald City, but I have to admit that it is my local show, so I'm biased.  The guest list tends towards spectacular; and everything I've heard suggests that it's the most comic-centric of the big shows these days.  On the downside, I don't party much, so not sure how it ranks on that scale.  I'm always happy with the GA selection; but I think most of the more impressive dealers there are the ones who go to most of the big shows.  The Seattle area is not and never has been known for its stashes of Golden Age books; but some do pop up at every show so you'll see some stuff you wouldn't elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

From everything I've been told, Baltimore is the show to be at.  I plan on attending next year.  I met the con organizer last weekend, and he seemed to agree with that assessment, but obviously he has some skin in the game!

Please make sure to post some pics. Can anyone comment on Chicago, Charlotte or Wondercon(Anaheim)?

19 hours ago, piper said:

Please make sure to post some pics. Can anyone comment on Chicago, Charlotte or Wondercon(Anaheim)?

Wizard World Chicago is the best for Golden Age, Silver Age if you're looking for comics, in my opinion.  A lot of great dealers show up with quality material like John Verzyl, Bedrock and many, many others.  I always find great stuff there.

21 hours ago, piper said:

Can anyone comment on Chicago, Charlotte or Wondercon(Anaheim)?

Have not been to Wondercon once they moved to Anaheim, CA.

Lots to see in downtown Chicago which is about 50 mins Blue line rail ride from Chicago Wizard con (Aug/17) which is actually in Rosemont, the suburb. Would recommend tourist sites like Navy Pier and Shakespeare theater, History, Science and Technology (WW II Nazi sub, Enigma) museum, their outstanding Fine Art Institute, waterboat Architectural tour, Far East (not crowded :idea:) museum in Obama's University district, Greek town and top quality bar food.  

WonderCon is a real cool show. Big but not out of hand. Very little of the movie and other non comic book distractions that plague SDCC for a comic person. Decent guests, lots of big (and small) comic dealers. Easy to get passes for (on line only) and parking is easy. Right next to Disneyland and close to other tourist attractions. Maybe worth a try...

If I were you dorks, I would attend WW Chicago.  Lots of books and lots of time to mingle with the sane boardies.  Close to the airport.  Reasonable accommodation rates.  And if you want to go into the city proper, there are lots of things to do. 

Baltimore, although good, probably conflicts with your half arse show in Edmonton.