• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Betty and Me 16
1 1

42 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Timely said:

Really? Ever hear of a double entendre?

do͞obl änˈtändrə,ˌdəbl änˈtändrə/
noun
noun: double entendre; plural noun: double entendres
  1. a word or phrase open to two interpretations, one of which is usually risqué or indecent.
    synonyms: ambiguity, double meaning, innuendo, play on words
    "much of the comedy is derived from racy double entendres"
    • humor using double entendres.

I don't believe there was intent when they wrote this book.  There's nothing subtle about it, the guys clearly got beat up, and that's all there is to it.  it's right up there with Batman's boners as an excessively infantile reaction to a common figure of speech of the time.  However, if someone wants to waste their money paying a premium for this cover, the Alf cover, the Rifleman cover... have fun.

9 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I don't believe there was intent when they wrote this book.  There's nothing subtle about it, the guys clearly got beat up, and that's all there is to it.  it's right up there with Batman's boners as an excessively infantile reaction to a common figure of speech of the time.  However, if someone wants to waste their money paying a premium for this cover, the Alf cover, the Rifleman cover... have fun.

I'm not sure. On the one hand, all that is there. On the other, the words are selectively bolded and colored. Consider that if the elements for the visually obvious meaning were not present (bruised eyes) they would not get their double meaning through the code. 

As to whether the collecting strain is ridiculous, some people pay more for comics with writing on them, copies where a few copies had a different price, etc.....our hobby is full of niches besides the stories and art that got us all started. I don't get half of them myself. But in this case, I don't assume people are collecting the niche for the sophomoric humor of double entendre covers but for the fact that they are a strain of books that creators snuck by the comics code. It's really at root the same appeal as the new X-Men -- the rebellious teen outsider thing, except in these cases the creators not the characters are the rebellious teens.

Much cooler to me than the fact that Star Wars 1 cost a nickel more in parts of Ohio. 

On 8/2/2017 at 6:35 PM, catman76 said:

ugh I hate stuff like this. It's not risque dialogue, it's just people being perverted is all it is. He did beat off three other guys to save her, they are all bruised up and he's saving her. It's like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that have to giggle and laugh when they hear or see the word "gay" used in anything from a long time ago. I just hate stuff like this.

Right, the overt and surface is the meaning you ascribe to it, for sure. I agree.

However, Archie comics were written and drawn by guys sitting around all day thinking up double entendres to place in their comics, on their covers, and in their strips. Archie comics survived on their deft use of the double entendre. The subject matter and the jokes get a little stale without them working on an entirely different parallel level.

That being the case and know that they intentionally used double entendres for comedic impact, it's not a stretch to say they pushed those boundaries and threw in a few that were a little more risque in their double meaning. 

Just now, Pontoon said:

If 3 guys jumped on your back, would you leave them there or beat them off?

Is this a warning for this weekend in Boston? 

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

If 3 guys jumped on your back, would you leave them there or beat them off?

Only if it makes them get off. 

Edited by comix4fun

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

Welp, it's not as nice as the others posted here, but I walked into my LCS yesterday and walked out with this one.

BandM16.jpg

Looks like the cover artist wasn't in on the 'joke'.

Im from New Zealand, I remember buying a lot of those old archie comics, (they maybe still in a box somewhere) Question is,   the archie comics sold here,

were printed in Australia. Same cover, same stories, but printed in this part of the world, would they still be worth the same??

1 hour ago, gopolks said:

Im from New Zealand, I remember buying a lot of those old archie comics, (they maybe still in a box somewhere) Question is,   the archie comics sold here,

were printed in Australia. Same cover, same stories, but printed in this part of the world, would they still be worth the same??

It probably depends on whether there's an obvious way to tell the difference.

Are you kiddin' me!!  In a country with a game like Australian Rules Football with an oval field no less.  Look buddy, it's either Rugby or American football.  You can't have it both ways.    So the Archies would be worth zilch in your country.  LOL.  Probably worth the same as pence copies of Marvel books.  

Speaking of being  Risque Going thru my old archies,  This story was taken from The Jughead Jones Comic Digest Magazine. No37  Its about Betty's Mother's Muff. Surly the writers

were having a laugh.

Picture 71.jpg

Picture 72.jpg

Here's my copy, bought about 20 years ago from Joe Naaca...for, I think, $10...I don't remember what he graded it, but Joe always overgrades...

16636500485_6293663e5c_z.jpg

and yeah, I think it's a funny cover...but so is this one...how many can remember doing something like this?  I know I did... lol

16450354949_130b11523c_z.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Hi, I just listed this "rare" comic on eBay for $49 auction or best offer. It is not in as nice of condition as the "9.0" shown in this topic, however all of the pages are complete and intact, definitely legible :)

I would have to agree with Catman76, in that it's not actual risqué dialogue, but simply put, our mind's in the gutter. Although I will admit that I enjoy it down here, always entertainment here in the gully ;)

-Don

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg