• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Busted Case

3 posts in this topic

Hello!  So I have a question.. I just bought a graded comic, and it doesn't appear to be on the quality that i was lead to believe.  For one, there doesn't seem to be an inner case? surrounding the comic.  Second, it looks like there is some kind of oil sheen on the comic itself.  I know about the prism effect, this is not it.  It moves like oil when I press on it.  Third, the comic looks warped.  The person I bought it from has a decent rep, so I'm a little confused.  They tried to tell me that this was the new grading scale.. I called BS and said it looks as if the comic has been tampered with.  At any rate, I'm going to post some pictures and would like to know if there is way I can have CGC look at it?  I paid a pretty penny for it and I have a limited window to get my money back.  Have a look and I appreciate any and all responses.

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

Your pictures are coming up really small so it is hard to say 100% for certain. But this I believe is a Generation 2 slab WITHOUT the inner holder.  With those slabs there is two sheets of mylar over the book and the book is held in place by the pressure of the outer holder

These slabs without inner holders were much more prone to what is called Newton rings or the Prism effect. Where the two sheets of plastic touch, an oil on water visual effect happens. While unslighlty if extreme, this in no way hurts the book 

More of a concern is uneven pressure (the spine of a comic is slightly thicker than the outer edge) would often times cause waves in the book.  

The good news is CGC will reholder these for free.  Link
https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=5383&

The slab has not been tampered with. One of the biggest improvements to the new slab it is impossible to open it without it being obvious. The slab is welded together all along the edges and removing the book results in a outer slab that is broken into multiple pieces. 

Welcome to the boards. 

Edited by Tony S

Hey Thanks Tony!  I'm going to contact them today and see about getting it sent in and reholdered.  Appreciate the response and thanks!  I'm very excited to be apart of the comic book collecting community!