• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

21 posts in this topic

Ok, so I have a question for anyone here with an opinion or facts on the exclusives/variants that are limited run with a CGC 9.8 guarantee. So lets say a comic will have a total of 500 copies. I can buy the comic "raw" for $30 or CGC graded with 9.8 guarantee for $100. Obviously you get the graded one in 9.8 but what about the raw for $30? Is there any chance for a 9.8 raw or am I just going to get a copy that was rejected by CGC during the 9.8 prescreen?  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Edited by Konrad5288

WTTB!

Its possible that you'll receive a 9.8. The problem is that if the best copies are pulled for people who paid extra, then it makes sense that he remainder of the copies are the worst of the group. I always steer clear of this scenario. 

Edited by the authority

Depends on who you buy from also. 

Theres a few boardies that are pretty good at selling 9.8 raw though they won't say they are 9.8 ( as they shouldn't) 

if if you want a 9.8 then buy stabbed. It's the only way you'll be sure. 

True. I wasn't knocking 9.8 services, some are great. I was speaking to the point that if you have a 500 copy print run, You're less than likely going to receive a 9.8 if the company is selling guaranteed 9.8 copies. An example would be this.

A company prints 500 and offers 100 9.8 copies and 50 SS 9.8 copies. That means the 150+ best were removed leaving the less than 350 that were deemed not as nice as the 150+. Even if its say 50/25, I just don't like the odds.

3 hours ago, the authority said:

True. I wasn't knocking 9.8 services, some are great. I was speaking to the point that if you have a 500 copy print run, You're less than likely going to receive a 9.8 if the company is selling guaranteed 9.8 copies. An example would be this.

A company prints 500 and offers 100 9.8 copies and 50 SS 9.8 copies. That means the 150+ best were removed leaving the less than 350 that were deemed not as nice as the 150+. Even if its say 50/25, I just don't like the odds.

Totally agree. I recently bought a 9.8 guarantee on a 600 print run variant which three retailers were selling. Even if each one was only selling 50 guaranteed 9.8s each then almost a third of the print run is gone and you are taking a chance if you get one of the remaining 450 copies

6 minutes ago, Michael Lamm said:
3 hours ago, the authority said:

Totally agree. I recently bought a 9.8 guarantee on a 600 print run variant which three retailers were selling. Even if each one was only selling 50 guaranteed 9.8s each then almost a third of the print run is gone and you are taking a chance if you get one of the remaining 450 copies

you should also do your research on which sellers you're buying from.  Of course you're protected if they don't hit their grade, but getting your money back doesn't really help the comic.  And there might be SOME less than scrupulous sellers that might refund you then sell it on another venue for MORE if the value goes up a lot between the time you paid for it and the time they were supposed to ship to you. 

So SOME people might be willing to pay a little bit more to get a little more assurance from a more reputable seller.

Just something to consider.

Im just going to go for it and post my results up here for everyone.   I bought that Natali Sanders  Edge of Venomverse premium signed set ungraded from Comic Market Street. Only a total of 150 Virgins signed. Im going to update how it looks when it arrives, and will post the CGC grade here after onsite grading at Chicago Wizard World on the 20th. I might luck out because it looks like the cgc ss are done in gold ink and the regular signatures in a different color.  Thanks for all the responses.

Edited by Konrad5288

3 minutes ago, Konrad5288 said:

Im just going to go for it and post my results up here for everyone.   I bought that Natali Sanders  Edge of Venomverse premium signed set ungraded from Comic Market Street. Only a total of 150 Virgins signed. Im going to update how it looks when it arrives, and will post the CGC grade here after onsite grading at Chicago Wizard World on the 20th. I might luck out because it looks like the cgc ss are done in gold ink and the regular signatures in a different color.  Thanks for all the responses.

I actually got the same book (though I got the graded 9.8 CGC SS version). Assume you know this, but just confirming - if you bought the signed but ungraded set, and are planning to get it slabbed by CGC, you do know because the signature wasn't witnessed by CGC, you're going to get a green qualified label (and not the yellow sig series label) right? 

6 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

I actually got the same book (though I got the graded 9.8 CGC SS version). Assume you know this, but just confirming - if you bought the signed but ungraded set, and are planning to get it slabbed by CGC, you do know because the signature wasn't witnessed by CGC, you're going to get a green qualified label (and not the yellow sig series label) right? 

I know. Its for my personal venom collection. With how many copies of the book I ordered plus variants and the Convention in 3 weeks the $55 was almost too much. Why did it have to be an every week run?Hopefully the copy comes nice. Now that I think about it the green label might blend better with the artwork than the yellow one does. 

Maybe its time to start a new thread here. Refuse CGC SS grading cause it doesnt match the cover like that green qualified one does! lol.

27 minutes ago, Konrad5288 said:

Good luck getting it onsited at WW Chicago, as CGC isn't doing onsite this year. 

Also, even if they were, you're a week early on the date. 

1 hour ago, greggy said:

Good luck getting it onsited at WW Chicago, as CGC isn't doing onsite this year. 

Also, even if they were, you're a week early on the date. 

The site said they were doing it when i checked yesterday. Ill check again.  If theyre not at least Ill still get my signed Machete machete and photo op. But, a Hero for Hire grading was supposed to fund all the fun. So all in all that would kind of suck. 

25 minutes ago, Konrad5288 said:

The site said they were doing it when i checked yesterday. Ill check again.  If theyre not at least Ill still get my signed Machete machete and photo op. But, a Hero for Hire grading was supposed to fund all the fun. So all in all that would kind of suck. 

What site. 

Here is CGCs list of shows and which will have onsite grading 

https://www.cgccomics.com/events/Index.aspx

On 7/27/2017 at 11:21 PM, the authority said:

WTTB!

Its possible that you'll receive a 9.8. The problem is that if the best copies are pulled for people who paid extra, then it makes sense that he remainder of the copies are the worst of the group. I always steer clear of this scenario. 

I agree; I "played that game" one time on a 1000 copy print run and, although a very limited sample, of the two raw copies I purchased one was a 9.6 (9.8 with a press with a tiny cb tick) and the other a 9.4, at best, with, if I recall correctly, three cb ticks, two of them tiny. Both copies had the very common wavy rear covers found on moderns. Some of the folks I know have received 8.5/VF+ copies in such scenarios.

In my experience, these company's/sellers (to my knowledge, none of them are on the boards) may guarantee a 9.6 or do not guaranty a grade.

On 8/1/2017 at 1:28 AM, bababooey said:

You're misreading the chart, scroll down to Baltimore to see what an onsite show looks like. 2c

That sucks!  Oh well..... I received the ungraded set today.  Havent had time to look them over yet, but  will post some pics later.  at first glance they look near perfect.  According to Curtis at Comic Market Street they still had around 13 graded premium sets left last week.   So I ordered one of those too.

If you were looking for eye appeal you have to get the ungraded though. It's signed in blood red! And matches the Edge of Venomverse title --script. And IMHO is the best looking Edge cover. The preorder was supposed to be signed in gold.  What color will the signatures be on them?  Just have to wait and see.

Edited by Konrad5288

Definitely 9.4 candidates. Nice corners. The regular has a ding  by the spine, the virgin has a very slight corner crease. Off to the press and hopefully 9.8's

And then in all of this commotion, i was looking to find some graders and found the third picture. Didnt even know I had it! 2 mini creases like 2mm each near spine perfect corners and barely a bend on one corner. Too bad I sold an NYX 3 a few years back before it got so popular. It would have been a nice addition to these. Will post cgc result on Sanders titles in a month or 2

1501887439049242629917.jpg

15018874553841949888787.jpg

1501887546020-707968999.jpg

Edited by Konrad5288

On 7/28/2017 at 10:35 AM, Michael Lamm said:

Yep.