• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Preview #4

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone - I just bought a Marvel Preview #4 (1st Star Lord). Book is in great shape. Cover looks great, pages inside are nice and clean. Spine is tight, but only problem is that the lower part of the spine has a tear about 3/8 inch long (see very last photo below).  The tear is three eighth of an inch (less than half an inch).  If not for the tear, this book would be about 7.5 but with the 3/8 inch tear, what would it drop down to?

I notice that some Marvel Preview mags from this era have these kinds of tears - maybe because of the cheap paper they were printed on?   Better view of the tear at  https://postimg.org/image/h59ek2n2t/.

Thanks for your opinions!

mp4a.jpg

mp4b.jpg

mp4c.jpg

Edited by Why Comics Rule

Hello Peter, I see no one has dropped by yet.

Your pictures aren't as clear as they could be but I see what looks like a raised spine, as if the book has had something heavy pressing down on it about half an inch away from the spine at some point. I think I see some creasing at the spine centre too and a hint of a crusty staple. So with the small tear, and those other flaws, I would be looking nearer a 4.5 to 5.0.

Maybe if you posted better pictures, or scans, you might get a few more guesses?

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your insights, Marwood & I.  After I read your comment, I borrowed a friend's Overstreet guide, and yes, a split spine up to 0.5 inch long would only be a 5.0 at the most.

On 29/07/2017 at 8:09 AM, Marwood & I said:

Hello Peter, I see no one has dropped by yet.

Your pictures aren't as clear as they could be but I see what looks like a raised spine, as if the book has had something heavy pressing down on it about half an inch away from the spine at some point. I think I see some creasing at the spine centre too and a hint of a crusty staple. So with the small tear, and those other flaws, I would be looking nearer a 4.5 to 5.0.

Maybe if you posted better pictures, or scans, you might get a few more guesses?

Good luck!