• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on pressing

83 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
14 hours ago, Transplant said:

Not really that much.  Okay in small doses, but like saccharine sometimes.  Knock yourselves out.  Most people who overdo it are unaware.  Carry on.

This is the kind of chatter we usually see in a Sales thread. The agenda is obvious. It's all good. Whatever.

Why are you making derogatory comments towards us?  Do we even know you?

22 minutes ago, namisgr said:

+1

Unless a book has a major rolled spine.  Especially for Silver Age books, pressing will sometimes leave behind flaws that weren't there before.  Flattened spines, fuzzy paper around the staples, interior pages sticking out, staples becoming more impacted, vertical lines where overhang has been flattened, runny ink arrival dates, and a 'starched collar' appearance to the top edge are just some of the defects often introduced by the pressing process that give a SA comic an artificial appearance.  Also for SA books, examples that have clearly not been pressed will sometimes sell for a premium in the marketplace to buyers either preferring unpressed comics or thinking about upgrade potential, and so even the financial incentive for pressing is sometimes overstated.

But don't you think a lot of the apparent damage done by poor pressing gets a pass when it gets graded?  That is my impression. 

I got interested in pressing as I wanted to replace my stolen collection and could never afford to replace them with the same high grade issues I once had. When I got out of collecting for awhile back in the early 2000s I had never heard of pressing. After getting back into collecting a couple of years ago I was intrigued by this pressing stuff. Having many books mid-high grade I knew that I could improve them a bit by pressing. The cost to get all of those books pressed would not be cost effective. I figured at the going rate of just pressing 20-30 books that it would pay for the press. While I have not been pressing that long like you there was not a lot of info to be found and in some circles it is frowned upon. After practicing for awhile on cheap books to get the techniques down I am quite happy with the results I am getting. Most of what I am pressing is silver/bronze age, though I have had luck with moderns as well.  I will if I have a high dollar book I intend to submit for grading send out to recognized expert. Though I am about to submit some I have pressed for grading here shortly. I have found a good group of other pressers and we share tips and practices which shortens the learning curve. It does require a bit of patience and attention to detail but having the right tools and press make all the difference. It is important to note what can and can't be fixed by pressing as well as techniques as to not damage the book while pressing. If you want feel free to PM me and I will help steer you in the direction you want to go. Good luck Gene

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:
16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
16 hours ago, Transplant said:

Not really that much.  Okay in small doses, but like saccharine sometimes.  Knock yourselves out.  Most people who overdo it are unaware.  Carry on.

This is the kind of chatter we usually see in a Sales thread. The agenda is obvious. It's all good. Whatever.

Why are you making derogatory comments towards us?  Do we even know you?

Why are you making derogatory comments towards Bomber-Bob and Transplant? Do you even know them?

2 hours ago, namisgr said:
3 hours ago, Azkaban said:

My tip is don't :preach:

+1

Unless a book has a major rolled spine.  Especially for Silver Age books, pressing will sometimes leave behind flaws that weren't there before.  Flattened spines, fuzzy paper around the staples, interior pages sticking out, staples becoming more impacted, vertical lines where overhang has been flattened, runny ink arrival dates, and a 'starched collar' appearance to the top edge are just some of the defects often introduced by the pressing process that give a SA comic an artificial appearance.  Also for SA books, examples that have clearly not been pressed will sometimes sell for a premium in the marketplace to buyers either preferring unpressed comics or thinking about upgrade potential, and so even the financial incentive for pressing is sometimes overstated.

I know next to nothing about pressing, but I'm guessing moisture damage / loss of gloss is another byproduct of a bad press?  I've cracked some stinkers out of CGC cases, and I was assuming that's what was going on.

Friendly tip - don't ever, ever press your Man-Thing.  Mine had a slight bend in it that I thought would press out.  Hydrated it and the damn press ended up scorching it and I only had the press at 160 degrees.  Maybe I left it in for too long but you live and learn.  Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Friendly tip - don't ever, ever press your Man-Thing.  Mine had a slight bend in it that I thought would press out.  Hydrated it and the damn press ended up scorching it and I only had the press at 160 degrees.  Maybe I left it in for too long but you live and learn.  Hope this helps!

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

39 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Not sure?  Kind of a moot point since my Man-Thing is now all burnt up.  Anyway I can get my Man-Thing back to the way it was?

16 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Not sure?  Kind of a moot point since my Man-Thing is now all burnt up.  Anyway I can get my Man-Thing back to the way it was?

I think you need a professional presser to fix the cockling.....

the good news - according to CCS - " Cockling can be corrected nearly 100% of the time with a proper pressing"

26 minutes ago, W16227 said:

I think you need a professional presser to fix the cockling.....

the good news - according to CCS - " Cockling can be corrected nearly 100% of the time with a proper pressing"

Now that I think about it I have to unfortunately agree.  Only professionals will touch my Man-Thing and the rest of my stuff from now on.  

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Now that I think about it I have to unfortunately agree.  Only professionals will touch my Man-Thing and the rest of my stuff from now on.  

Careful not to press it too flat. It may spread out and become a Giant Sized Man Thing. Better to just leave your man thing in its sleeve, I think.

From a eBay description on a Giant Size X-men

"GSX #1 CGC 8.5 OW/W 1st app Storm, Colossus, and nIghtcrawler Giant SIze X-men 1

I do not know if this comic has been pressed or not. I have reason to think it may have not been pressed. I have included a picture of a dent in the comic. 

I know when I buy comic I want to know has it been pressed. If so by who? There are too many no professionals out there damaging books thinking they know how to press with no formal training in Paper Restoration. 

Any comic I have had pressed, was done so by a professional classically trained in Paper restoration.  I will let you know in the ad it has been pressed. If I don't know, (ie bought it graded, or its raw) I will let you know. 

If you would like to who pressed the book, just ask. 

Demand pressing disclosure from all the places you buy comics from. I realize 85% of graded books have been pressed. It is now moving to raw books, which is really bad. The raws are being pressed by non professionals and the quality is poor.  This is very amongst the big raw dealers here  on ebay. It is bad enough to overgrade, now this."

?site=0&stg=1&mpt=1501768201873

From a eBay description on a Giant Size X-men

http://m.ebay.com/itm/282571765492?_mwBanner=1

"GSX #1 CGC 8.5 OW/W 1st app Storm, Colossus, and nIghtcrawler Giant SIze X-men 1

I do not know if this comic has been pressed or not. I have reason to think it may have not been pressed. I have included a picture of a dent in the comic. 

I know when I buy comic I want to know has it been pressed. If so by who? There are too many no professionals out there damaging books thinking they know how to press with no formal training in Paper Restoration. 

Any comic I have had pressed, was done so by a professional classically trained in Paper restoration.  I will let you know in the ad it has been pressed. If I don't know, (ie bought it graded, or its raw) I will let you know. 

If you would like to who pressed the book, just ask. 

Demand pressing disclosure from all the places you buy comics from. I realize 85% of graded books have been pressed. It is now moving to raw books, which is really bad. The raws are being pressed by non professionals and the quality is poor.  This is very amongst the big raw dealers here  on ebay. It is bad enough to overgrade, now this."

?site=0&stg=1&mpt=1501768201873

Edited by jsilverjanet

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, HighRadArt said:

Turn it off and just let it sit till the press plates cool to room temperature.

The reason you don't remove a comic from a hot press right away after say 15 minutes is basic science. At higher temperatures, molecules are spaced out and moving, and when they cool they shrink back into place. The shrinking causes the paper to curl and it's a sure sign of an amateur press.

How does CGC/CCS do onsite pressing at shows? Do they bring 1,000 press machines to shows?

On 7/30/2017 at 0:48 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

This is what scares me about this advice, you make it sound too easy. As if 95% of the learning is buying the press. After a bunch of experimenting he will 'think' he has learned to press books and put more bad product into the marketplace. I am not a presser but I respect the art and recognize it takes some natural skill and a lot of knowledge about paper preservation. When I go to my doctor or dentist, I like to see some diplomas on the wall. I like to use licensed plumbers and electricians in my home. I'm sorry but I do not like to encourage these home grown pressers trying to save a few dollars. You get what you pay for. Sorry. 

It's not that hard, just takes some practice, the press does all the work.