• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre Code Horrible Covers: Celebrating the lame attempts of horror
2 2

70 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2017 at 8:26 AM, lbcolefan said:

This one is pretty lame.

image.jpg

Maybe if they blew up that picture in the top left and gave it a new background color they would have a classic cover instead? Oh wait, they did that and that worked.

TBH, I saw a Tales of Horror 8 at the LCS for a very reasonable price several years ago and turned it down at the time because I didn't yet know hundreds of PCH covers. I judged it solely on the quality of the art on the giant snake and turned it down. That issue hits hard with me because of what a mistake that turned out to be... But I'll always have the time I looked at it closely and decided this cover is just too silly.

Four pages in and no one has posted this one? Probably the worst PCH cover ever. This is one of those cases where I wouldn’t have even bought if I didn’t need it to complete the run. 

And it is a first issue. As a comic buyer in the fifties, I doubt I’d be very excited for the next one...

4285ECDE-2B55-4840-9AA5-A176DEECB943.jpeg

2 hours ago, fifties said:

This is a horror cover?   The only redeeming feature is that it was done by Matt Fox.  O/W it could compete against any lame post code book.

Mystery Tales 22.jpg

No, that is not a horror cover. It is a “mystery” cover. Why is the car flying through the air? Who is driving it? Why didn’t I buy the latest Tales from the Crypt instead? And yes, a great Matt Fox effort. Love all his work. So much overlooked interior work all the way into the SA.

The book above it is clearly a “horror” cover. Look, it even says so right on the cover. Granted, probably (other than some ACG covers) a rather weak one. 

The Mystery Tales would have grabbed my Mercury dime in a heartbeat...