• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre Code Horrible Covers: Celebrating the lame attempts of horror
2 2

70 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

510_The_Beyond_7_Pre-Code_Horror_Black_Cat_Cover_1951.jpg.e7bee84acfed675c3969fee61cf6ed0f.jpg

This cover literally has nothing weird spooky or supernatural going for it. A black cat? Yeah okay.

At least have some blood running down the stairs

Pretty snoozery indeed. Unless he has some kinky thing going on with that cat. It looks pretty scared.

On 7/29/2017 at 10:03 AM, retrocomics said:

PCH fans have plenty of wonderful covers to celebrate. Let's show off the poorly excuted attempts. Everyone will agree or disagree because different strokes and all. Here's one I despise

780765.jpg

Just imagine that some where out there, tucked away in a box with some other pre-code horror books, the Mile High copy of this book is lurking.  Much like the creature on the cover.  So far this one is in first place in my book, hands down.  This is a great thread subject.

4 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

This one is pretty lame.

image.jpg

That one I have to agree with being pretty lame. Let's shove multiple creatures who aren't very menacingly looking on the cover. However, the snake circling the skyscraper on the top would become the best in the run and one of my favorites.

50 minutes ago, retrocomics said:

That one I have to agree with being pretty lame. Let's shove multiple creatures who aren't very menacingly looking on the cover. However, the snake circling the skyscraper on the top would become the best in the run and one of my favorites.

I actually don't mind it.  I kind of like those. Kind of nightmarish. Wood and Feldstein did some great ones.

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I actually don't mind it.  I kind of like those. Kind of nightmarish. Wood and Feldstein did some great ones.

Not saying I wouldn't own any of these books. I appreciate goofy and campy covers intentionally or not. I think this one actually thought it was being seriously horrific but comes off like an eight year olds nightmare.

7 minutes ago, Jayman said:

This ones pretty lame in the scare dept. even the girl's face seems to be going "meh".

IMG_4722.PNG

Ever notice how that candle looks like a weiner? On fire? Women power large and in charge.