• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,375 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

Get anything good?

I always try and hit certain dealers. Today it was Bedrock and then Harley Yee. I’m not really hard pressed to get anything this year so it was just some odds and ends. Still working on my romance and Archie holes and upgrades. I like what I got though....

AD9A5175-6947-4561-BE11-85CCEBE1AF14.thumb.jpeg.280235c8eef1f6b028e9af54ebca5da7.jpeg

1090474A-8D20-4F24-A8CA-BCEB6EFA6390.thumb.jpeg.527ad6226643c1a4a053035a9acd279d.jpeg

0B416514-6335-49AB-9996-58433CA3159B.thumb.jpeg.d308fbe88cca82a98dfc9b7d2ba25724.jpeg

A9C57B09-F47C-446C-85B3-51D43B1C2430.thumb.jpeg.ef7c424e230e7e2d5aaa4ce3d5c74368.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

SDCC 2018 - Con Report - Dealer Walls (2)

Next up is Torpedo.  It was a pleasant surprise to see them there.  I was asked by a few people in SDCC if I'd gone to their con the Sunday before.  Unfortunately I had not.  But, if I had planned better I could have gone, as I flew into SF on Sunday.  I could have instead flown into LA, gone to the con, and that evening flown to SF.  Instead, all I did on Sunday in SF was see the Antman movie.

IMG_4831.thumb.jpg.aefbedb4d8c0d72dd41fd5c652390073.jpg

IMG_4830.thumb.jpg.62412a280326addb2d26da4fb403cde1.jpg

Thanks for the report Mike. Sounds like you had fun with your daughter. Thanks for the wall shots too. Man, there are some pretty stiff prices on those. I saw a video some one posted with wall shots. Seems everyone has multiple copies of the same mega keys. I mean Metro had like 7 or 8 Amazing Fantasy #15's. Kind of takes the lustre and mistique of books when they are all over the place. On the bright side, if you were a deep pocketed buyer looking for a lot of these keys, you would certianly have all the bargaining power. Didn't see very much at all I would have bought. But, then again, the best stuff is usually in the boxes...

Like Robot Man previously remarked, those are some pretty stiff prices! I'm glad I got what I did years ago, because I could never afford to put together a collection at today's prices. Thankfully, I still get a thrill out of an occasional Four Color for twenty bucks; otherwise, this hobby seems to have passed me by.

But... I still love looking at the stuff, even if I can't own it, so thank you for the pictures!  :foryou:

On 7/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, thunsicker said:

Thanks for the report.  Fun stuff.  On a side note, where are you in SF?  My daughter is out there visiting right now.  (Seeing the city she was born in).

I don't actually live in SF.  I just go there about once a month for work.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the report Mike. Sounds like you had fun with your daughter. Thanks for the wall shots too. Man, there are some pretty stiff prices on those. I saw a video some one posted with wall shots. Seems everyone has multiple copies of the same mega keys. I mean Metro had like 7 or 8 Amazing Fantasy #15's. Kind of takes the lustre and mistique of books when they are all over the place. On the bright side, if you were a deep pocketed buyer looking for a lot of these keys, you would certianly have all the bargaining power. Didn't see very much at all I would have bought. But, then again, the best stuff is usually in the boxes...

Yes, I kept seeing the same books, including a number of AF15s.  I've pretty much given up on ever getting AF15.   My chance to buy a copy passed a few years ago.  I personally think it's overpriced, but my opinion's not going to bring the price down. 

Here is Carbo's booth.  This is how it looked around lunch time.  I'm not sure how the man sells comics the way things were set up.  But maybe Thursday is a slow day for him and he doesn't really set up until Friday.  Later on Thursday he had more stuff displayed, and that's when I bought Casper 1 from him.

IMG_4875.thumb.jpg.4d87cf81f69775cc2955d4fa531cd7dd.jpg

IMG_4876.thumb.jpg.2a7b0b5f7a96eb4e9d0a1819d273d93c.jpg

IMG_4877.thumb.jpg.d97241bc7d37db2e226302066c3b817a.jpg

IMG_4992.thumb.jpg.6e5da2dd61c3e53ac64dafaf74ba44c7.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Alright! More dealer shots!

Worldwide Ritter is a guy I always make a bee line to at any show. Cool, unusual stuff, graded right and priced fair. Saw his abreviated set up at Torpedo and spent some dough with him. Would have loved to see some of those "Golden Age High Grade, Pedigrees" boxes...:sumo:  But I do realize he had limited space.

Terry: One of the dealers with the widest variety of stock at any show. He and I collect the same stuff so I often end up with some of his cast offs. I would have started with a Speed or Champ or two. I would have also seriously considered that Crime Does Not Pay #24. A book I have never owned and is high on my "grail" list. Where was this stuff at Torpedo Terry? He just brought flea market fodder. Hopefully he and a few others learned a lesson and will bring better stuff to Torpedo next year.

Carbo...well Carbo what can one say? That Ward spanking art is off the hook. Surprised it didn't do home with you Mike. Probably priced at a Carbo SDCC price I imagine. I am in the minority but I like Mike. Under it all, he is a real nice guy and really loves this hobby. I won't sell him anything nor would I have him over to my junk pile, but I have bought quite a bit from him over the years. Mostly non-comic book stuff. Always has some weird, cool stuff if you dig it out and calm him down enough to sell it to you at a good price. Another, dumb dealers that brought squat to Torpedo. 

Thanks for the reports Mike. Surprised you had the time to do much in one day but it is appreciated. :golfclap:

Edited by Robot Man

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Bunky Brian said:

Also finally figured out the face and name of Mr Robot Man, in person, YAH, for sure a advance collector, all these years, of seeing him, and finally got the name and faced together, thank you Mr robot, :tink:

I've been looking for the Teenage Romance at the end of your wall display.  How much?

IMG_1275(1).JPG.771939b423d4fcbcf0f7bcf365ac7c1b.JPG

Edited by BB-Gun

4 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Great report and pics. Do you remember the price on the Clue Comics vol. 2 #2 in 9.0 at Terry's booth?

I didn't actually ask.  I should have, but I knew it would be way out of my price range and I managed to get a copy earlier this year (although a low grade restored copy).