• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,369 posts in this topic

Junie Prom is a fun set. You would think hey, 4 issues, no problem. Wrong. These are pretty tough in any kind of decent shape. I’m still looking for a 2. There was one right here on the boards a while back a I missed it by a nano second. I’m sure I will turn one up one of these days. Not much I lose any sleep over anymore. 

I also like those early Rangers. Also tough books. Finding the right copies at the right prices are a bit of a challenge. But isn’t what collecting is all about? 

Hope you are doing well Mike. 

Such a cool run. Great to see them all together. I remember when you snagged that #5 from Rick. Very wise buy. One he ain't never getting back I suspect. Best cover in the run although #6 ain't half bad either.

I thought about going after her sister (or brother) title but figured the one I really wanted was this cool drive in cover so I quit while I was ahead...

comdexter3.jpg

On 10/10/2020 at 10:43 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Michael,

I noticed that you are a big Marilyn Monroe fan.  Blitzway has some nice quarter scale statues available including this beautifully Seven Year Itch statue.

E9590F9D-387E-46C9-B863-B0D8CFC41D96.jpeg

Thanks for letting me know.  They also have a Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Marilyn.  The prices are all over the place, from $500+ to around $125.   They all look to be the same though. I might take a shot and order one of the cheap offers and see the quality, before buying the Seven Year Itch since those are consistently being offered at $500+.

New Modern Additions to Lady In White Collection

Here are a few recent additions to my Lady in White collection.  This is the collection of comic covers where (1) the damsel in distress is wearing a flowing white gown; (2) the cover has a gothic feel to it; and (3) the overall CGC grade for the comics in the collection is 9.0. 

These are kind of unique, because I've found that most of the comics in this collection were from the 1970s.  I got the Interview with the Vampire by buying the entire set on eBay for about $10.  Luckily, #8 was the best copy of the bunch.  I sent #8 to CGC for grading, and I gave the rest to the local library.

The Carnage #6 was expensive and doesn't come up that often (at least not this cover).  I don't know why as I don't collect this title.  But after over a year of watching ebay, I finally decided to bid on this copy and got it for $120.

The 9.6 grades of each help to bring the collection up to 9.0, as some of the older mags in the collection are hard to fine in nicer grades.  And CGC's price to grade mags is so freaking expensive, I'm only going to submit a given mag once for the collection.  I won't upgrade unless I find a higher condition copy on eBay.

1230042193_Carnage6CGC9_6125.thumb.JPG.d560d2fc25efc1bb8adb583b4e61ce63.JPGIMG_2820.thumb.JPG.1e37c09421cec1d80edb36e8db42c639.JPG

On 11/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, n2wdw said:

:news:  New Matt Baker Addition :news:

Major win last night in the Heritage Sunday auction -- True Love Pictorial #11!  I never thought I'd own this classic Matt Baker cover in CGC 6.0!  (I wonder if I could inch up the grade with a press to get rid of the spine roll?)

My goal is to get a copy of every comic where Baker did the cover.  On my list there are 303 Baker covers (some of them are reprints), and I have 206 of them.  At this point, I think I've gotten most of the easy ones, so the hunt is getting really tough now.  This new addition is definitely one of the hard ones, so I'm very excited to have it.

497060680_TrueLovePictorial11CGC6.01200.thumb.jpg.04fdd6b770df5ad7801ea0035fdf078b.jpg

I thought I had the worst St John miscut...  This one might take the prize.  LOVE THIS!

Smoking Cocktails

Recently I bought a smoke box for smoking drinks and food.  Tonight I tried smoking my dirty martini.  As one might expect, vodka takes on smoke much easier than bourbon.  I'm playing around with bourbons to find one that is light enough to take on the smoke. It's a chore, but someone's gotta do it.

IMG_4106.thumb.JPEG.6b85e922a59e738064098e7e368907db.JPEGIMG_4107.thumb.JPEG.d1b6d4ea502009e9d603b957a79cb6e6.JPEGIMG_4108.thumb.JPEG.07758455adb7d7765c2216bf17219fb9.JPEG