• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,375 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Nice group of books. The PR 10 is not rare or even scarce. Copies show up. It was one of my first Baker Romances.

Rare or scarce is pretty much in the mind of the poster. If you have paid attention for a while you get a feeling of what you have seen or not seen. I have collected Baker books here and there for years but only seriously for the past 3 years or so. So a lot have slipped under my radar. Think about what you have seen (or NOT seen) in the Baker threads and you will have a better idea. Personally, I have had several copies of Giant Comics Edition #5 and Record Book of Famous Police Cases over the years. Never seen a copy of Fighting Indian Stories and this is only the 3rd All Picture Adventure I have seen. #2 although not a Baker cover is even tougher.

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Rare or scarce is pretty much in the mind of the poster. If you have paid attention for a while you get a feeling of what you have seen or not seen. I have collected Baker books here and there for years but only seriously for the past 3 years or so. So a lot have slipped under my radar. Think about what you have seen (or NOT seen) in the Baker threads and you will have a better idea. Personally, I have had several copies of Giant Comics Edition #5 and Record Book of Famous Police Cases over the years. Never seen a copy of Fighting Indian Stories and this is only the 3rd All Picture Adventure I have seen. #2 although not a Baker cover is even tougher.

Using the internet to gauge scarcity can be deceptive.... especially when focusing on sales venues to gather "data". The most desirable items are often the least seen because folks want to keep them.... so it's easy to form the misconception that they are scarce. While many of the Bakers are truly uncommon, it's hard to judge rarity with items that are prized  and in high demand. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I picked up the Southern States copy of that one from DTA a while back.  Note that CGC doesn't acknowledge the Baker cover.

ssg03-013_zpsapbmo2d6.JPG

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It may be subjective, and I'm only going by my experience, but it's good experience. I'm talking internet and conventions. And years of digging around for this stuff.

3 hours ago, n2wdw said:

What To Do On a Snow Day?  SMOKE!

Okay, not that kind of smoke.  Today the east coast got hit with a major snowstorm.  Schools are closed, the government is closed, where I work is closed.  I was supposed to go to NYC today for work.  At this moment, at 7pm, I had a reservation at Il Mulino Prime.  I should be eating a perfectly cooked ribeye right now. But the entire east coast is shut down.

So what to do with a suddenly free day?  For me it's to play on my Big Green Egg!  Today I smoked a pork shoulder.  Smoking while it's snowing is one of the joys of life.  Especially if combined with sipping a bourbon and surfing the boards.  (And, now my NYC trip is rescheduled for next week so I still get to get that steak at Il Mulino!)

IMG_2837.thumb.jpg.8eacbe658b0c83682f35e6ded3dde2db.jpg

ALMOST makes me want to get snowed in. Especially the bourbon part. I had to go to work...:sorry:

On 3/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, Robot Man said:

all-picture adventures 001.jpg

On March 21, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Robot Man said:

Here's a Fighting Indian Stories, Robot Man.

image.jpeg

Dastardly GGA Bondage in Pulps

There's GGA and then there's bondage.  There's bondage, and then there's dastardly bondage.  According to the dictionary:

Capture.thumb.JPG.10a221a8ad2341e435ba49f799ff1e5a.JPG

I've expanded my dastardly collection to include pulps.  Recently I got this one:

5ab81be674dee_DimeMysteryMagazineJanuary1940150a.thumb.jpg.2437fbf646ebbb749611df42a1b904b6.jpg

Here are 2 others.  The "girl tied to a wheel" is its own GA GGA category.

5ab81c90b04c4_WeirdTalesJune1938Brundage175.jpg.a28409d9df767bdb1e3debe3730ca6c9.jpg5ab81be12d386_DimeMysteryJuly1938290.jpg.dea7d82afe209ad828758cf85ecd0f68.jpg

This next one is pretty gruesome.  Open only at your own risk.

Spoiler

5ab81e171b8a9_CrimeDoesNotPayV34October197070.jpg.2800d5462acf34541d35f5f443655b17.jpg

Il Mulino Prime NYC

I was in NYC for work this week.  At the recommendation of @Ricksneatstuff, I went to Il Mulino for dinner.  I actually went to Il Mulino Prime because it was around the corner from my hotel.  Whenever I go to a nice restaurant I take a picture of the outside, so that way it helps me to organize my pictures.

IMG_2876.thumb.jpg.33afd8e3f5ef63aa6737b2db50bdb7ce.jpg

I started with an Old Fashioned with rye bourbon.  As I sipped the drink, I took some time to look over the space.  It's a small cozy restaurant with a lot of energy, a cool chandelier and a bar when you can get the full menu.  I usually prefer eating at the bar when I'm on business travel and eating alone, as I like chatting with the bartender. 

IMG_2877.thumb.jpg.34c43933426aff6a7b8d36f68ed0182a.jpg

IMG_2882.thumb.jpg.f24749e3d448547ec9cd96d7cadade31.jpg

Their amuse-bouche was a small charcuterie plate.  My appetizer was a wedge salad with thin strips of bacon and blue cheese, with a glass of Italian chardonnay.

IMG_2879.thumb.jpg.8e6d90c9564fdaeffb38482ec166c291.jpg

IMG_2880.thumb.jpg.88a03a96b292f5854921405c0b542321.jpg

IMG_2878.thumb.jpg.0fe88a2d9d445bdebbd63ee3cd5d8b0f.jpg

My second course was a half order of ravioli with freshly shaven black truffles.  I had it with a glass of barbaresco.

IMG_2883.thumb.jpg.ab65d6b7d87442cfa05c5dbd1788f061.jpg

IMG_2884.thumb.jpg.23613587e5cb481f68325d557253c57c.jpg

Il Mulino Prime is an Italian steakhouse, so for my main course I got a dry aged filet mignon.  I continued with the barbaresco for this course.  Some might say this was a lot of food for one person, but eating big meals is my super power.  Thanks for reading.

IMG_2890.thumb.jpg.cb8e891dde2df3b9d1e4ee9e5a77274e.jpg