• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,375 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Alright! More dealer shots!

Worldwide Ritter is a guy I always make a bee line to at any show. Cool, unusual stuff, graded right and priced fair. Saw his abreviated set up at Torpedo and spent some dough with him. Would have loved to see some of those "Golden Age High Grade, Pedigrees" boxes...:sumo:  But I do realize he had limited space.

Terry: One of the dealers with the widest variety of stock at any show. He and I collect the same stuff so I often end up with some of his cast offs. I would have started with a Speed or Champ or two. I would have also seriously considered that Crime Does Not Pay #24. A book I have never owned and is high on my "grail" list. Where was this stuff at Torpedo Terry? He just brought flea market fodder. Hopefully he and a few others learned a lesson and will bring better stuff to Torpedo next year.

Carbo...well Carbo what can one say? That Ward spanking art is off the hook. Surprised it didn't do home with you Mike. Probably priced at a Carbo SDCC price I imagine. I am in the minority but I like Mike. Under it all, he is a real nice guy and really loves this hobby. I won't sell him anything nor would I have him over to my junk pile, but I have bought quite a bit from him over the years. Mostly non-comic book stuff. Always has some weird, cool stuff if you dig it out and calm him down enough to sell it to you at a good price. Another, dumb dealers that brought squat to Torpedo. 

Thanks for the reports Mike. Surprised you had the time to do much in one day but it is appreciated. :golfclap:

The Ward was actually at Anthony Synder's booth.  The price wasn't bad but I already have some Ward OA and I'm not looking for anything else at the moment.

IMG_4881.thumb.jpg.875e1b14673eba32ae73bf8990a250df.jpg

IMG_4882.thumb.jpg.76f8dd1e3b419093b8f2fe546d293b2d.jpg

He has this Steranko for sale.  I first saw it at NYCC and it hasn't sold yet.  If I was going to splurge, it would be for this!

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.18e8bd639857665f486e0ddedd70683b.JPG

6 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

man  AF 15’s from as far as the eye can see it appears. 

its SDCC, would you expect anything less?

44 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

its SDCC, would you expect anything less?

No I expected it.  I didn't express myself  well in my post. It was meant to be a smh moment.  Still remember as a kid wondering if I'd ever see one. Still love the book and get chills but so many in one place kind of lets the air out of the bag for me

18 hours ago, n2wdw said:

The Ward was actually at Anthony Synder's booth.  The price wasn't bad but I already have some Ward OA and I'm not looking for anything else at the moment.

IMG_4881.thumb.jpg.875e1b14673eba32ae73bf8990a250df.jpg

IMG_4882.thumb.jpg.76f8dd1e3b419093b8f2fe546d293b2d.jpg

He has this Steranko for sale.  I first saw it at NYCC and it hasn't sold yet.  If I was going to splurge, it would be for this!

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.18e8bd639857665f486e0ddedd70683b.JPG

WOW!  Real hard choice for sure. For me, I'd have to get the Ward by a nose. Might have cost a little less than the Steranko which might influence my decision too...

20 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

GOD

Please tell me you took a pic of the Archie #1!!!

How much was that Archie and grade:cloud9:?

Sorry, I didn't.  Prices were not on the front of the slabs.  I was asking Terry for books I could possibly buy, but I didn't want to take up his time with books I knew I had no shot with. 

On 7/23/2018 at 7:38 PM, n2wdw said:

Here are pics from Bunky Bros.  I think they had the most Bakers on the floor.  A lot of other good stuff too.

IMG_4927.thumb.jpg.5dbad09c722f5b9efc76d3586b1bed05.jpg

IMG_4928.thumb.jpg.af9b290a1c17f2a97bff329b07b4e57c.jpg

IMG_4929.thumb.jpg.d138e98d2b2047b011fae43756a393d6.jpg

IMG_4930.thumb.jpg.c87bb9adfc59e30c9a555ab32ac9bbb4.jpg

IMG_4931.thumb.jpg.cb37299fd57fb5e1a6da8b255900ecc3.jpg

IMG_4932.thumb.jpg.91ec10e0e314b2f18954b9e8d172125e.jpg

IMG_4933.thumb.jpg.68a36f7ab0d09f7cb4cb8df2cb547a59.jpg

IMG_4934.thumb.jpg.7093760e365b0635e3e925f969a56e9e.jpg

IMG_4935.thumb.jpg.730f1c31c4f94c87054de31b6fa3eb2b.jpg

IMG_4936.thumb.jpg.6d51535ab3d626256c12c6063e898902.jpg

The Bunky brothers definitely had some really great LB Cole and Baker books with the largest inventory by far.  It was displayed very well and most books had strong cover appeal.  Maybe I should have spent more time at their booth.

Bottom line, I was happy with the mix of comic dealers.  The reality is, I only have so much money to buy comics.  Once I hit that limit, it doesn't matter to me how many more good comics there are at the con.  Now, you might say that more dealers means better selection.  Sure, I get that.  But I got Casper #1 and Millie #1, both grails for me, both at really good prices.   So yeah, if you're a high roller looking for big variety of high grade GA, then SDCC is probably not the place for you.  But then, probably the best places for you are private sales and on-line auctions.  Cons have always been hit and miss, and your happiness level with the stack of comics you bring home have always depended on what happens to be on your want list at that moment in time, and how much money you have to spend.

I'd like to elaborate on this comment I made last night.  The point I was trying to make was, there was enough variety of comics at SDCC that I was able to find stuff to buy.

But, there definitely was a lack of small dealers from past years.  And there were no old book dealers, and I missed seeing them.  The artist avenue part of the con seemed smaller.  NYCC was definitely bigger in that respect. I think the fact it took me only 2-3 hours to tour the entire non-comic part of the exhibition floor tells you something about the dealers there. 

I guess the reason I feel okay about the comics at SDCC, is my expectations were pretty low going in.  I didn't expect to find anything good.  I felt the same way about NYCC last fall.  I agree with others that the big cons are more pop media than comics.  So I go to big cons for the experience, rather than any expectations for buying comics.  When I do find a nice comic at a big con -- like the Casper #1 -- then it's icing on the cake.  (I should also mention here that I've always gotten good deals with Carbo.  He can be disconcerning, as he gets right in your face and he puts pressure on you to buy.  But, if you are in the mood to buy, he will seriously consider any offer you make, and you'll probably do pretty well if you can agree on a price with him.)

I like this new trend of small one day cons.  (It's funny to call it a "new" trend, as when I got into comics 45+ years ago all we had were small 1 day cons.) By their nature, they attract the big dealers, but more importantly (to me) also the small dealers.  In my collecting life, I've gotten better deals from small dealers than big.  Probably because they can work on smaller margins, and they sell comics as a hobby rather than a job.  I got these comics at Terry's con, for a decent price.  No way I'd ever expect to get comics like this at a big con like SDCC or NYCC.

317959624_Airboy21CGC6.5924a.jpg.74010c32e7ce1ea8ea58a3500e8ca9fb.jpg240693577_FightComics41CGC8.01925a.jpg.5de12e2099abd68641ecbde3bb56986e.jpg1566728391_StartlingComics46CGC8.51386a.jpg.ec8afec92b3ed40b8ff15c0f2434bd76.jpg

As I mentioned above, my only problem with the Terry and Torpedo cons is they are in CA and I live on the east coast.  But hopefully I'll be able to make it to at least one of them next year.

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

I'd like to elaborate on this comment I made last night.  The point I was trying to make was, there was enough variety of comics at SDCC that I was able to find stuff to buy.

But, there definitely was a lack of small dealers from past years.  And there were no old book dealers, and I missed seeing them.  The artist avenue part of the con seemed smaller.  NYCC was definitely bigger in that respect. I think the fact it took me only 2-3 hours to tour the entire non-comic part of the exhibition floor tells you something about the dealers there. 

I guess the reason I feel okay about the comics at SDCC, is my expectations were pretty low going in.  I didn't expect to find anything good.  I felt the same way about NYCC last fall.  I agree with others that the big cons are more pop media than comics.  So I go to big cons for the experience, rather than any expectations for buying comics.  When I do find a nice comic at a big con -- like the Casper #1 -- then it's icing on the cake.  (I should also mention here that I've always gotten good deals with Carbo.  He can be disconcerning, as he gets right in your face and he puts pressure on you to buy.  But, if you are in the mood to buy, he will seriously consider any offer you make, and you'll probably do pretty well if you can agree on a price with him.)

I like this new trend of small one day cons.  (It's funny to call it a "new" trend, as when I got into comics 45+ years ago all we had were small 1 day cons.) By their nature, they attract the big dealers, but more importantly (to me) also the small dealers.  In my collecting life, I've gotten better deals from small dealers than big.  Probably because they can work on smaller margins, and they sell comics as a hobby rather than a job.  I got these comics at Terry's con, for a decent price.  No way I'd ever expect to get comics like this at a big con like SDCC or NYCC.

317959624_Airboy21CGC6.5924a.jpg.74010c32e7ce1ea8ea58a3500e8ca9fb.jpg240693577_FightComics41CGC8.01925a.jpg.5de12e2099abd68641ecbde3bb56986e.jpg1566728391_StartlingComics46CGC8.51386a.jpg.ec8afec92b3ed40b8ff15c0f2434bd76.jpg

As I mentioned above, my only problem with the Terry and Torpedo cons is they are in CA and I live on the east coast.  But hopefully I'll be able to make it to at least one of them next year.

Wow.  Those are really fantastic books - I was bummed as I was unable to attend Terry's show this year as I was recovering from a broken leg.  but looking forward to attending next year!

2 hours ago, n2wdw said:

NOW that is 3 SWEET pickups!! All 3 are classics!

1 hour ago, BakerFanOne said:

Wow.  Those are really fantastic books - I was bummed as I was unable to attend Terry's show this year as I was recovering from a broken leg.  but looking forward to attending next year!

I think Terry's will be the one for me too.  I think if I went to Torpedo's -- and they had it at the same time, the weekend before SDCC -- I'd miss going to SD.  Even though I know the comics at Torpedo would be better than SDCC.  Funny how the head works sometimes.