• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,375 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Some of them were advertised as file copies.  But when I received them they came with no authentication.  So I'm not sure how I can prove they are file copies.

Of the 30 or so Harvey's I've bought raw advertised as file copies none came with any authentication so it seems to me like people just call any high grade ones file copies.  I've bought a few slabbed ones off HA that say file copy on the label, I presume these are the Geppi warehouse copies.  None of these have come with any kind of certificate either.   

Edited by szavisca

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

Of the 30 or so Harvey's I've bought raw advertised as file copies none came with any authentication so it seems to my like people just call any high grade ones file copies.  I've bought a few slabbed ones off HA that say file copy on the label, I presume these are the Geppi warehouse copies.  None of these have come with any kind of certificate either.   

I think you might be right. I bought a lot of the Harvey file copies from Sparkle City Comics and Geppi so I know their origins but these days you are relying on very loose backgrounds in some cases which might be more guessing. 

16 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Bakers Are Too Expensive So Now What?

With Matt Baker being so expensive, I've turned my attention to other comics.  Here are a few higher grade GA romance comics I've picked up lately.   I think some of these approach Baker, especially First Love 34 and Love Problems 28.  I got these 5 all for way less than even a single Baker.

5aa441dfd0631_PhotoScan(24).jpg.e64980c34bc01b64a583b43223c2c2b1.jpg

Wow... I obviously went to the wrong high school. :blush:

15 hours ago, szavisca said:

Welcome to the club... haven’t noticed a lot of other people posting Harvey’s but I’ve been after high grade copies for a while.  There are some great classic covers imo and I’ve come to especially love the Al Avison covers like FLI 13.

Aside from the ones with good covers, the Harvey romances tend to have better interior stories than other romance publishers.  All you have to do is look at how many Harvey romances get OPG citations for salacious stories on the inside... First love 3 and 13... True Love Problems 14 And 24...Hi-School romance 32... etc.

Gonna give myself a pat on the back here but I actually contacted CGC about getting these OPG citations on their labels for several of these issues and they kindly acquiesced.

I also think FLI 12 is a classic.

5aa53c84b1384_FirstLoveIllustrated12CGC7_054.jpg.272cde7672c4a8d837e8d4399e1c77ee.jpg

And the covers are certainly intriguing enough that they make you want to read the story.  Here's another example.

5aa53d40539b9_FirstLoveIllustrated4017.thumb.jpg.d34a408b97b520d7f5afacbe39dfcfc0.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

5 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Lee Elias was good, but he'll never be close to Matt Baker.

No argument from me on this point.  But I'm the kind of collector who would rather get a stack of comics rather than just a couple.  Baker is getting so expensive he's not as much fun to collect anymore.  So I guess I'll live vicariously through others as to Bakers, and turn my collecting attention to other things.

Edited by n2wdw

5 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark on what this Matt Baker Teen-Age Romances #9 comic might be worth. 

teen romance.jpg

A ballpark is hard to give without a bigger picture. Is there moisture damage? Yes it is desirable and you could get a good price.

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

A ballpark is hard to give without a bigger picture. Is there moisture damage? Yes it is desirable and you could get a good price.

Yeah, it looked like moisture damage to me too. I don't have it  in my possession yet... just purchased it online and was wondering if it was a bargain.

16 minutes ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Yeah, it looked like moisture damage to me too. I don't have it  in my possession yet... just purchased it online and was wondering if it was a bargain.

Depends on what you paid.

Do You Remember Tiffany?

Next month I'm going to the Steel City con in Pittsburgh.  I haven't gone for a few years so it'll be interested to see how the con has changed.  When I last went, it was mostly a toy con.  Now it seems to be more of a pop culture con, like Wizard World.

Tiffany will be there.  Do you remember her?  Back when I was in college she had the hit "I Think We're Alone Now."  I think she was mostly a one hit wonder, but maybe she had a few other songs.  Anyway, I got this album on eBay and I plan to get her to sign it. 

5aa81f5b139ce_TiffanyIThinkWereAloneNow.thumb.JPG.36fa6090d86cf7a5a913d0196879cf0a.JPG

A few years back, Tiffany tried to make a come back.  As part of that, she posed in Playboy.  I plan to have her sign this too.  This Playboy came out in 2002, 15 years ago.  I'm curious to see what Tiffany looks like now.  That is, with her clothes on.

5aa81f5827aa0_PlayboyApril2002Tiffany.jpg.e6bb93a4f3d9a6e663f154fcf5249b47.jpg

10 minutes ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:
3 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Depends on what you paid.

Let's just say much, much, MUCH less than the one copy for $800+ I currently see on eBay (which itself appears to be in tough shape)

If the interior wasn't wrecked by the moisture, you probably did at least ok.  If the book can be pressed and dry cleaned into better shape, you may have a real bargain. 

3 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Do You Remember Tiffany?

Next month I'm going to the Steel City con in Pittsburgh.  I haven't gone for a few years so it'll be interested to see how the con has changed.  When I last went, it was mostly a toy con.  Now it seems to be more of a pop culture con, like Wizard World.

Tiffany will be there.  Do you remember her?  Back when I was in college she had the hit "I Think We're Alone Now."  I think she was mostly a one hit wonder, but maybe she had a few other songs.  Anyway, I got this album on eBay and I plan to get her to sign it. 

5aa81f5b139ce_TiffanyIThinkWereAloneNow.thumb.JPG.36fa6090d86cf7a5a913d0196879cf0a.JPG

A few years back, Tiffany tried to make a come back.  As part of that, she posed in Playboy.  I plan to have her sign this too.  This Playboy came out in 2002, 15 years ago.  I'm curious to see what Tiffany looks like now.  That is, with her clothes on.

5aa81f5827aa0_PlayboyApril2002Tiffany.jpg.e6bb93a4f3d9a6e663f154fcf5249b47.jpg

I remember her from that one song.  Kind of funny to be a one-hit wonder whose only hit was actually a cover of an old (Tommy James) song.  I guess it beats being a no-hit dud, though. :)

23 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Excited About My Latest CGC Shipment

I received a CGC shipment today and I'm very happy with the grades.  Also, I've been experimenting with the photo box, and by adding a front light to the box it seems to cut down on the glare, while producing pics that reflect the true colors of the comics.  Here's what I got:

WOW, great books!