• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,375 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2018 at 9:17 PM, FlyingDonut said:

You guys are in my hood.

If you're cooking steaks like that, you should get some RdV wine. I'm not supposed to let anybody know, but RdV is on par with the best California has to offer.

Coopers Hawk is pretty good.  Went there for my brithday dinner back in Sept. 

Super Magician

Tonight in Heidelberg Germany, my wife and I decided we needed Italian food for dinner.  We ordered/shared carpaccio, pesto pasta, pasta with clams and grilled steak and veggies. 

IMG_2608.thumb.jpg.8e9e0cb46954a691333385f8ad770592.jpg

IMG_2607.thumb.jpg.6659b43ce46fa31b5c7ae50a86c9d7cf.jpg

IMG_2612.thumb.jpg.545d44aa8a270365cce9f9c87921d1eb.jpg

IMG_2614.thumb.jpg.15e2340b0ffef06f1dda379e4d558bfe.jpg

After posting so much about travel and food, I feel I need to throw in some comic stuff.  So, here's a title I've been collecting lately, Super Magician.  I really like the cover art.

5a7b6384ea7ce_SuperMagician41140.jpg.a0b43d202e93dc22884b9a23f3abe6af.jpg

5a7b63875e772_SuperMagician4650.jpg.f60ef73b3a5bdaf96fe2b6eaab977ea5.jpg

5a7b6389b0bb5_SuperMagician3250.jpg.8502c92873536acbcd4ae3b8a7242926.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

That meal looks spectacular Mike!!

Here was my most interesting meal when I was in LA. I took 7 people out to The Bazaar by Jose Andres and we did it up. We added 5 courses more than the tasting menu even. Their Wagyu Philly Cheesesteaks are always great! This is one of my favorite places in LA. These were our pics from that night. 

IMG-0596.JPG

IMG-0597.JPG

IMG-0598.JPG

IMG-0599.JPG

IMG-0600.JPG

IMG-0601.JPG

IMG-0602.JPG

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

You guys are making me hungry and I just had dinner!

If I had to pick one GA series that doesn't get the love I think it deserves, it would probably be Super Magician.  I probably shouldn't say that because there are a lot of them I still need to track down. 

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You guys are making me hungry and I just had dinner!

If I had to pick one GA series that doesn't get the love I think it deserves, it would probably be Super Magician.  I probably shouldn't say that because there are a lot of them I still need to track down. 

Did I meet you when you were standing next to @Ricksneatstuffin Terry's booth?  I met a number of boardies at that con but I'm already bad with names, and then having to translate from board name to real name made it an even bigger challenge.

21 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

That meal looks spectacular Mike!!

Here was my most interesting meal when I was in LA. I took 7 people out to The Bazaar by Jose Andres and we did it up. We added 5 courses more than the tasting menu even. Their Wagyu Philly Cheesesteaks are always great! This is one of my favorite places in LA. These were our pics from that night. 

Food looks amazing.  If the food tastes anywhere close to the presentation then the dinner must have been really something.  The wife and I went to The Bazaar in South Beach a few years back.  We really like Jose Andres's restaurants.

13 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Did I meet you when you were standing next to @Ricksneatstuffin Terry's booth?  I met a number of boardies at that con but I'm already bad with names, and then having to translate from board name to real name made it an even bigger challenge.

No, unfortunately, I live on the east coast, so I haven't made it to that con yet.  One of these days I hope to!

GGA Political Cartoon from 1967

Here's a political cartoon by LD Warren from 1967.  It's about social security, a contrast between increased coverage (the grandma with a dress down to her ankles) versus higher taxes (pretty girl with the mini-skirt).  I've looked at his cartoon a million times, and I have to admit I can't figure out which side the cartoon is trying to advocate.  I guess I would need to understand the debate that was going on at the time to provide context, but I just don't have the energy for that (especially given all that is going on in our political world today).  But, whatever the debate, I like the cartoon.  Enough so that I've searched for more works by LD Warren but I haven't found much.

5a823c7a67a6a_LDWarren196790a.thumb.JPG.d32ef5ee7c77743cbc2e1630c28537d5.JPG

Edited by n2wdw

Classic Schomburg -- Flawed But I Love It

I got this comic at NYCC and just got it back from CGC.  As it's from a bound volume, I knew it would come back purple.  But, the cover is clean and the colors are vibrant!  There is trimming, but mostly on the bottom and a little on top.  I don't see any trimming on the right side.

At the end of the day, this was my chance to get a very nice presenting, classic Schomburg cover for about a one ounce pour of Pappy Van Wrinkle 25 year.  See?  This proves I've got my drinking under control ... I'll take a Schomburg over bourbon.

IMG_1409(1).thumb.JPG.7b228b3ab02a8921a1d00c2ac7434b8a.JPG

Edited by n2wdw

Scream For the Lady In White Collection

As a recap, my Lady in White collection includes comics with covers that (1) has a damsel in distress wearing a flowing white gown; (2) has a gothic feel to it; and (3) is CGC 9.0 or above.

It's a small collection.  So far I've only identified 29 comics that qualify.  The time frame seems to be 1970-1980 with 1971-1974 being the sweet spot.

Of those 29 comics, I have 19 with the average grade of 9.4.  The comics aren't rare, but getting them in at least 9.0 is a challenge.  This is especially true for magazines.  Here's one I got on eBay, Scream #4.  I sent it for grading and it just barely qualified for the collection with 9.0, although I had to press it to nudge the comic to that grade.

5a88184bf270d_Scream4CGC9_030b.thumb.jpg.24f218792bc49d2c8228249cbdca7d4e.jpg

Edited by n2wdw