• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confessions of a Newbie Collector
1 1

100 posts in this topic

Welcome to art club.

Interesting start.  Collecting art for the writer.   For me - the writer is important, but 2ndry to the art itself when it comes to the original art.

Collecting comics on the other hand - the writer is super important. Different medium, different focus.

Good luck and keep posting.

Yes welcome, it's obvious you've been lurking...you've already got the lingo down pat. That ST page...I almost took it from you but let it go as there's no ST (or anybody else notable on it). But you got it for the right reason: the dialogue. (No knock against B&JTT though, just happens to be a filler page.) I also like the idea of coming out of a country auction with some pos that you don't need and then making the SO go along with it all...no matter what he may think of the matter. Been there, done that...nearly every day the last ten (fifteen, twenty) years lol. But hey if you don't ever take any risks in life...

10 hours ago, Skizz said:

A year later, I had every (almost every) Alan Moore book, and nothing more to look forward to in life.  And the only way I could fill that hole in my heart was with (1) drugs, (2) unconditional love or, (3) upgrading to original comic art.  Like any sane person, I chose the latter option.

A great start to your collection. I think you'll have a lot of fun with that very interesting approach to OA.

Option (1) might have been more damaging to your body but (3) is gonna kill your wallet. Fair warning.

Hi guys, thank you for the warm welcome. 

On 30 July 2017 at 5:34 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Welcome to art club.

Interesting start.  Collecting art for the writer.   For me - the writer is important, but 2ndry to the art itself when it comes to the original art.

Collecting comics on the other hand - the writer is super important. Different medium, different focus.

Good luck and keep posting.

I imagine I am in the minority here.  

The interesting thing for me about comic art as opposed to say illustration or fine art is that a page of comic art works as a unit of storytelling.  A page can be a story beat that lasts just a sec (like a splash of somebody getting punched) or it can span a lifetime (a series of panels taking us through the course of someone's life panel by panel).  Other types of art don't have that.  And if they do, then as far as I am concerned, that painting is just a silent one panel unpublished comic art. 

P.S. Panelfan1, I also heart panel pages.  I heart panel pages very much. 

On 30 July 2017 at 8:37 PM, vodou said:

That ST page...I almost took it from you but let it go as there's no ST (or anybody else notable on it). But you got it for the right reason: the dialogue. (No knock against B&JTT though, just happens to be a filler page.)

I should consider myself lucky.  It was getting that Swamp Thing and Skizz page in the early part of my collecting that made me think that regardless of what everyone says about comic art being inordinately high, it is still possible for me to get the things that I want. 

It does help that often times the things I want, others don't seem to care as much about.  Hopefully that will continue to be the case. 

On 31 July 2017 at 2:02 AM, Hal Turner said:

Option (1) might have been more damaging to your body but (3) is gonna kill your wallet. Fair warning.

I'm realising that.  Just in the last four month, I've already spent waaaaaay more than I should on luxuries like art (relatively speaking of course).

Edited by Skizz

The page below is the very first page of comic art I ever bought (or even saw in person).  It was one of three pages I bought five years ago, before changing my focus to writing comics instead of collecting.

I had no idea what it was from and the dealer didn't even know who drew it.  I bought it simply out of nostalgia because it looked like the X-Men comics from when I was a kid. 

The page is from Issue 19 of Marvel UK's Death Head II.  But the series was cancelled after issue 16, so this is an unpublished page. 

Liam sharpe was the main artist on the series; so I contacted him to ask if it's his work. He said it wasn't him and suggested I ask Henry Flint. It wasn't Henry Flint either. It was then suggested to me that it might me Salvador Larocca.  So I contacted Salvador Larocca, who thought it was probably him but he'd need to see the page in person to confirm.  Hopefully I can ask him at a convention some days 

That said, part of me likes not knowing. Especially because this page is unique my admittedly small collection in that it is the only page I have bought without having read and loved the books.  

image.thumb.jpeg.4159081879d0fd79019597bfac1f9d22.jpeg

On 3 August 2017 at 2:36 AM, Meeley Man said:

The page certainly does look like Salvador Larocca's work from around that time period. Closer to his work on Ghost Rider, than what he later did on the X-Men.

I should have said, I bought as it had the 90s Marvel house style (or at least what I remembered it as being)

image.thumb.jpeg.f58ee67e550f4e14dbc1f173dcdccbc7.jpeg

The page above is from Alan Moore's Judgment Day for Awesome Comics, illustrated by Ian Churchill.

I love this page. And I also hate this page.

Love it because it is a crucial portion of the story where * spoilers *.  I was amazed that it was still available to buy directly from the artists website after all these years. From a visual perspective, it has everything I love about 90s art (energy, detailed rendering) but thankfully without the excesses of that decade.

But I also hate this page. Because it is exactly the kind of page that is ruined by the lack of speech bubbles and caption. Without the captions, it's just feels like some random images in a page and there is no story there. But then again there are also no spoilers here for anyone who hasn't read 90s Alan Moore penned series. 

Edited by Skizz

Count me among those who buy quite a bit for the writer as well.  And even the same writer as you.  The art needs to be there for the perfect piece as well, but I've bought many pages because a specific piece of dialogue or narration had such an impact on me.  This page, for example, is decent art-wise.  But the text sends shivers down my spine every time I read it.  Helps that it was the first book by Alan Moore that I ever read, but I value the impact of the story just as much as I do the art itself.  

Swamp Thing 30 pg 1.JPG

11 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

Count me among those who buy quite a bit for the writer as well.  And even the same writer as you.  The art needs to be there for the perfect piece as well, but I've bought many pages because a specific piece of dialogue or narration had such an impact on me.  This page, for example, is decent art-wise.  But the text sends shivers down my spine every time I read it.  Helps that it was the first book by Alan Moore that I ever read, but I value the impact of the story just as much as I do the art itself.  

Swamp Thing 30 pg 1.JPG

That's a great page.

Love to see your CAF gallery, if you got one.

This art below is another one of my pages that I've had since before I began collecting. I doubt anyone here will recognise the artist unless they're familiar with the British small press scene. 

The art is by an artist named Rob Cureton from his self published book Scene City.   
The image is of a celebrity literally being manufactured.

I might be biased because Rob is a friend and peer, but I genuinely think that he is one of the best cartoonist of his generation. I'd like to get more art from him him but unfortunately these days he is more focused on his animation career.  If you get time, do check out his diary comic on www.orfulcomics.co.uk 

image.thumb.jpeg.9efea1e85db516c5784e55119adbb834.jpeg

Edited by Skizz

image.thumb.jpeg.5bee4b9d305e4ce8f76194452fe474cc.jpeg

I posted here some weeks ago about my surreal experience of walking into a used book store in a village in France whilst on my holiday (vacation for the North Americans) and finding all this Moebius art.  Despite have not enough cash, I bought one small piece that was supposed to have been published.  

I had no idea at the time if this was legit or fake. But the members on this board were kind enough to help me verify.  I have now been able to get a copy of the magazine my piece was published in (see below) and certainly looks legit.

I can't believe that I actually own something drawn by Moebius (and published at that). Now if I can just get a Jack Kirby my life will be complete. 

image.thumb.jpeg.40934e9f85c4a0b0d59d49d9bf91a7fb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e359505068815987e6bf43e02afcbe6f.jpeg

Edited by Skizz

21 hours ago, Skizz said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5bee4b9d305e4ce8f76194452fe474cc.jpeg

I posted here some weeks ago about my surreal experience of walking into a used book store in a village in France whilst on my holiday (vacation for the North Americans) and finding all this Moebius art.  Despite have not enough cash, I bought one small piece that was supposed to have been published.  

I had no idea at the time if this was legit or fake. But the members on this board were kind enough to help me verify.  I have now been able to get a copy of the magazine my piece was published in (see below) and certainly looks legit.

I can't believe that I actually own something drawn by Moebius (and published at that). Now if I can just get a Jack Kirby my life will be complete. 

image.thumb.jpeg.40934e9f85c4a0b0d59d49d9bf91a7fb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e359505068815987e6bf43e02afcbe6f.jpeg

Great find. You have a great story to go along with your Moebius illustration.