• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old emoticon conversions

Question

I was reading through some older thread from 2010/11 and noticed that the (thumbs u didn't convert to (thumbsu  - I think it's because the current version doesn't have a space.  

Some of the old to new translations are also a bit off but that's the only one I noticed that didn't seem to have a current match. 

5 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I was reading through some older thread from 2010/11 and noticed that the (thumbs u didn't convert to (thumbsu  - I think it's because the current version doesn't have a space.  

Some of the old to new translations are also a bit off but that's the only one I noticed that didn't seem to have a current match. 

More on wayward emoticons here Bababooey:

I mean, it's the 21st Century, they've got their own movie now and everything, but........

• Administrator
On 7/30/2017 at 0:25 PM, bababooey said:

I was reading through some older thread from 2010/11 and noticed that the (thumbs u didn't convert to (thumbsup)  - I think it's because the current version doesn't have a space.  

I don't think we can fix that. I can't change the text shortcut for that icon to what was used on the old boards, since that text was longer than is permitted on the new boards.

Never mind. I was able to change the shortcut text to the old text. What I don't know is whether that will actually fix old posts. I don't have an example thread to test. Do you happen to know what post you were looking at?

1 hour ago, Architecht said:
On 7/30/2017 at 1:25 PM, bababooey said:

I was reading through some older thread from 2010/11 and noticed that the (thumbs u didn't convert to (thumbsup)  - I think it's because the current version doesn't have a space.  

I don't think we can fix that. I can't change the text shortcut for that icon to what was used on the old boards, since that text was longer than is permitted on the new boards.

Never mind. I was able to change the shortcut text to the old text. What I don't know is whether that will actually fix old posts. I don't have an example thread to test. Do you happen to know what post you were looking at?

Right now the boards don't seem to be auto-converting either shortcut for thumbs up,  when I created this thread it did convert the new version when I typed it above.
Test: new - (thumbsu  old - (thumbs u  

The (thumbsup) now appears to be encoded with brackets around it when you pull it from the drop down (hover over this one & the one in my OP)...I don't know if that's the fix or not. 

You can see examples of the old unconverted text versions it if you scroll down the first page of this thread that was recently bumped in CG.