• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brian Hitch: Threat or Menace?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2017 at 10:08 AM, visarspike said:

you can't put greg land on the same level....he didn't do any memorable comics, although authority and ultimates were a revolution in comics at the time they were printed, and set new levels for comics (in my opinion)

I don't know about level overall, but I'd say the cover to Birds of Prey 8 is in my top 10 list of favorites - it's also a copper book which is routinely pretty high value for an era of comics without a lot of that happening.  Not like a full run or anything, but I've struggled with this theme for this book given the reference concerns as it's a cover I've always loved.

Birds_of_Prey_8.jpg

36 minutes ago, Thawk said:

I don't know about level overall, but I'd say the cover to Birds of Prey 8 is in my top 10 list of favorites - it's also a copper book which is routinely pretty high value for an era of comics without a lot of that happening.  Not like a full run or anything, but I've struggled with this theme for this book given the reference concerns as it's a cover I've always loved.

Birds_of_Prey_8.jpg

I think Land gets a bad rap, particularly for his more recent stuff. Although, I know Scott W. is not a fan of his. At least not of his stuff from the early to mid 2000s. I think his more recent stuff is much more original. I really like that cover, though. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I have been a fan of Bryan's work for a long time. I an issue many have is one they have with many artists. You first get exposed to an artists team like Byrne/Austin or Hitch/Neary and you have a specific view of the artwork. But different inkers can effect different pencilers, some are stronger than others. The combination of a penciler and inker works for some but nor others. Just like music groups, Rolling Stones sound different than a Keith Richards or Mick Jagger solo work.

Most were exposed to Bryan Hitch inked by Neary. But Bryan has moved on and been inked by others including himself.  The final product is different, I am one who prefers Neary inking him but Bryan's inks aren't back just different. In fact his inks have evolved over time, he used  to ink himself like Neary did. Artists evolve and work with other artists so the artists will change. Should be viewed as a threat or menace.

Here are some examples of Bryn's work inked by others.

X-Men Brood #1 inks Neary

X-Men Prime #1 splash inks by P Craig Russell

Cyclops Phoenix poster inks Hitch

xmenbrood1__cvr.jpg

xmenprime1_1.jpg

cyclops_Phoenix_Poster.jpg

As someone who pretty recently went out searching for a Hitch Ultimates page (and found one) there isn't much out there to be had. The good stuff is locked away and anything that people are willing to take offers on is more than a couple hundred dollars.

Comiclink had a Thor FPS (that was also used as an alternate cover) sold for just under $1000 in March. (It had some condition issues, but I thought it went low.)

There were a few other nice splashes/covers that they sold a few years prior, ranging from about $900-2000. 

3 minutes ago, Flambit said:

From an historical perspective, I always thought it would be fun to own that page from Ultimates where the group is sitting around discussing who should play each other in a movie and Fury says Sam Jackson...  

Yeah, except you'd have to get word balloons made to show the dialogue. 

WOMP WOMPPPPPPPPPPPP