• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail for me
1 1

19 posts in this topic

The writing in Howard the Duck holds up.  I've had non-comics friends tuck in, and it's a really interesting 1970s relic, like THE BAD NEWS BEARS or SMILE, satire that's so smart and specific that you can keep coming back to it. 

And alas, there's not much of a story behind the aquisition.  Got it at auction by paying more than the other guy. 

3 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Very cool story/write up.  Is there a story around how you got it?  Chasing down leads, a collector/dealer knowing Howard is of general interest, or something else?

I will second this request - let's hear the backstory of the search for the grail

2 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I will second this request - let's hear the backstory of the search for the grail

See my reply above.  It's DISAPPOINTING so I'll add just that I also shot a guy, romanced his woman, stole his car, took over his corporation, assumed his identity, traveled the world for many years, learning about Burgundy and fine watches.  Then I stole a dirigible and floated over an auction house and did my bidding from there, and after I won, I had them throw the art into the air so my sky monkeys could catch it.  Other than that, it was pretty normal.

2 minutes ago, glendgold said:

See my reply above.  It's DISAPPOINTING so I'll add just that I also shot a guy, romanced his woman, stole his car, took over his corporation, assumed his identity, traveled the world for many years, learning about Burgundy and fine watches.  Then I stole a dirigible and floated over an auction house and did my bidding from there, and after I won, I had them throw the art into the air so my sky monkeys could catch it.  Other than that, it was pretty normal.

I knew there had to be more the story!

11 minutes ago, glendgold said:

How much is "flung into the arms of sky monkeys" on the shipping cost chart?

Well, you DID also spend half a day guessing when the auction would end, and wondering if anyone would snipe you at the last second, and if someone DID snipe you, whether or not that would extend the auction further, and if so, how long it might extend it. A bit nerve wracking, I expect.

You know how I feel about this win, but I'll join the public chorus and shout "huzzah"! This page has found its perfect home.

Edited by drewincanada

I did get this at Hake's, so if you go to that thread and see my kibbitzing...or whining...about that the shortcomings of that house's current platform, you can see what piece of art I was talking about.  In short, their closing rituals (I wouldn't exactly call them science --  more arcane and druid-approved than that) seem to depend on them reading the entrails of sparrows and their elders drinking ayahuasca to come to consensus about whether the auction is over or not.  Also: high bid has to be 10% over the previous bid, which is a system only Paul Erdös could love.  But I vented about that already and the upside is that the art is now here, so I'm happy ultimately. 

Speaking of HtD becoming popular, after his appearance at the end of the first GotG movie, Metropolis contacted me about buying my Brunner HtD piece. I guess they were speculating that HtD art would go up due to the movie. Hard to believe that would be true for my commission since Frank is around to draw more.

It struck me as odd. Anyone see a hike in HtD pieces?

Howard the Duck vs. Donald Duck - Loser Wears Pants by Frank Brunner, Comic Art