Gallery Image Attachments
1 1

9 posts in this topic

10,630 posts

I'm posting this again, this time in the appropriate section of the forum. 

I've noticed some problems in the Gallery section of the forums regarding image uploading.
When you go into a picture/scan that has been placed in your album, and then go to edit that image, it looks like you are supposed to have the ability to add images into the description (the reply field looks the same as if you were posting in the other sections of the forum). So far, I have been unable to upload a picture into the description. If I choose files to upload direct from my pc, the images show up in the uploaded images section but it does not let me insert them into the post (using the "+" to add the image).
The same happens when I use the insert other media option. It allows me to select the desired images but does nothing when I go to hit the insert selected button.
I can, however, copy and paste those same images from other sections of the site into field and have them show up. Although I have noticed that when doing this it takes away my ability to edit that main album image (the option to do so seems to be, for lack of a better term, shattered... meaning the manage image button is somehow being fragmented into separate parts outside of the button). An example of this specific problem can be seen in my test gallery HERE .

And again, with a bit more elaboration

The problem with the image upload happens a little deeper into my test gallery, within the actual gallery pics themselves, in the area for the specific images description.
My thinking was that the image put into the gallery (what I will call the main image) would show the front cover. Within the description, we could add both verbal and pictorial representations of the book from the main image (perhaps a back cover scan, pictures of interior flaws, etc.). Right now, I can add a verbal (typed) description, but cannot add additional photos or scans without copy and pasting, and even then there are issues.

I have noticed, just recently, that I can accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish by using the "old school" method by using Imgur to host my images. Inserting the various codes available on this hosting site directly into the reply/description seems to work fine, even when adding multiple images into the same post.
My hopes with the new board's capability of hosting pictures/scans for its members was to avoid using 3rd party image hosting (especially now that Photobucket has gone all gangsta) and, for the most part, it seems to work fine in every section except the Gallery. 

6,383 posts
On 7/31/2017 at 8:31 PM, DeadOne said:

I'm posting this again, this time in the appropriate section of the forum. 

I've noticed some problems in the Gallery section of the forums regarding image uploading.
When you go into a picture/scan that has been placed in your album, and then go to edit that image, it looks like you are supposed to have the ability to add images into the description (the reply field looks the same as if you were posting in the other sections of the forum). So far, I have been unable to upload a picture into the description. If I choose files to upload direct from my pc, the images show up in the uploaded images section but it does not let me insert them into the post (using the "+" to add the image).
The same happens when I use the insert other media option. It allows me to select the desired images but does nothing when I go to hit the insert selected button.
I can, however, copy and paste those same images from other sections of the site into field and have them show up. Although I have noticed that when doing this it takes away my ability to edit that main album image (the option to do so seems to be, for lack of a better term, shattered... meaning the manage image button is somehow being fragmented into separate parts outside of the button). An example of this specific problem can be seen in my test gallery HERE .

And again, with a bit more elaboration

The problem with the image upload happens a little deeper into my test gallery, within the actual gallery pics themselves, in the area for the specific images description.
My thinking was that the image put into the gallery (what I will call the main image) would show the front cover. Within the description, we could add both verbal and pictorial representations of the book from the main image (perhaps a back cover scan, pictures of interior flaws, etc.). Right now, I can add a verbal (typed) description, but cannot add additional photos or scans without copy and pasting, and even then there are issues.

I have noticed, just recently, that I can accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish by using the "old school" method by using Imgur to host my images. Inserting the various codes available on this hosting site directly into the reply/description seems to work fine, even when adding multiple images into the same post.
My hopes with the new board's capability of hosting pictures/scans for its members was to avoid using 3rd party image hosting (especially now that Photobucket has gone all gangsta) and, for the most part, it seems to work fine in every section except the Gallery. 

It looks like if you attach an image, save the description, then go back in and edit it, that the boards will have inserted a copy of that image into the main post body for you.

The behavior is a little weird, but it's not a configuration issue. Seems like a bug and/or just missing feature in the board software - so it's not something we can directly effect.

12,194 posts
8 hours ago, Architecht said:

It looks like if you attach an image, save the description, then go back in and edit it, that the boards will have inserted a copy of that image into the main post body for you.

The behavior is a little weird, but it's not a configuration issue. Seems like a bug and/or just missing feature in the board software - so it's not something we can directly effect.

Is it something you can report to Invision? Bugs and missing features etc?

6,383 posts
8 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Is it something you can report to Invision? Bugs and missing features etc?

Not much hope on this one being addressed, I'd say. I think what he's doing it trying to use the description as a kind of mini-gallery, so that he can create something like "nested albums".

It's just not what the description is intended to do. I get WHY he wants to do it and I see the usefulness in the context of a VCC booth, but Invision is going to view that as a hack to use their intentional design to do something it wasn't designed to do. Thus investing time in changing that behavior is going to be a low priority for them. It will just be considered a feature suggestion rather than something they need to fix.

We'll report it. I just wouldn't get our hopes up.

I looked for other ways to handle what he's trying to do - nested categories that users could create, albums inside albums, etc., but I did not see any easy alternatives. Working on one idea that may not pan out.

10,630 posts
42 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Not much hope on this one being addressed, I'd say. I think what he's doing it trying to use the description as a kind of mini-gallery, so that he can create something like "nested albums".

It's just not what the description is intended to do. I get WHY he wants to do it and I see the usefulness in the context of a VCC booth, but Invision is going to view that as a hack to use their intentional design to do something it wasn't designed to do. Thus investing time in changing that behavior is going to be a low priority for them. It will just be considered a feature suggestion rather than something they need to fix.

I looked for other ways to handle what he's trying to do - nested categories that users could create, albums inside albums, etc., but I did not see any easy alternatives. Working on one idea that may not pan out.

That's exactly what I was trying to do. 
Now I can move forward with other ideas. I might play around with using image hosting from a 3rd party (I use Imgur) to see if I can get to where I want to be. Even if I cannot, having 100 images (50 per page) to use in an album is still plenty, and the layout looks very nice when complete, so I'm not complaining at all.

I may however, bug you later about some things to do with the Gallery, but I need to get my thoughts and ideas in order first.

Thanks for checking into this stuff for me. 

12,194 posts
2 hours ago, Architecht said:

Image result for the terrible tinkerer

:wishluck:

6,014 posts

Rather than start a new thread with essentially the same subject, I'll ask a question here.

@Architecht - is it possible to move images between galleries? I have several galleries of between 100 - 300 images and want to rejig them a bit. I know I can mark images as 'hidden' and then upload them again to the other one, but that seems inefficient of storage space (and a bit time consuming).

6,383 posts

@AJD I know you can manage your attachments here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/attachments/

And that would allow you to mass delete. And you CAN add images you have previously uploaded to a new post via the "insert other media" option.

There is a way to move items between galleries, but I'm not sure whether that's just a moderator action, or someone an album owner has access to do. See the attached screen shot for where those controls are.

image.png

6,014 posts

Thanks @Architecht but I think that the move control is not something I have access to. (At least I couldn't work out how to get it to appear.) I also couldn't use the 'manage attachments' because I didn't want to delete them entirely as I use the gallery uploads in other posts. So I did it all mandraulically, hiding the images where I didn't want them visible and uploading new copies where I did want them.