• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with pricing comic books

11 posts in this topic

I need help on pricing comic books, I can't find a website that gives me consistent pricing for comic books and I don't feel like I have found a reliable website. Can someone please point me in the right direction to a good website that gives correct prices on comic books, at least a good estimate?

Edited by Kevenmartin

I think mycomicshop prices their books pretty fair. Look at their website and you'll see what books go for in various grades.  A word of warning- some of their listings are consignments and some consigners are, shall we say, extremely optimistic about what they can get.

Yes, mycomicshop has a lot of pricing data and they provide scans of each book so you can be sure you're looking up the right comic - very useful if you're looking up modern variants.
Ebay is very useful as they have a lot of sales data, click on 'sold listings' on the left side to see what items have actually sold for, keep in mind that prices realized will depend on a number of factors like the seller's feedback, quality of scans, etc.
Heritage auctions has over 600,000 comic auctions in their archive, mostly older books, you'll need to sign up for a free membership to view the data.

Edited by thehumantorch

eBay completed auctions. There are a lot of factors at play (when the auction ended, who was selling it, etc.) but it will at least give you an idea of current market value.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

eBay completed auctions. There are a lot of factors at play (when the auction ended, who was selling it, etc.) but it will at least give you an idea of current market value.

Make sure you check SOLD completed auctions, all completed auctions includes every overpriced book that didn't sell. 

16 minutes ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

Make sure you check SOLD completed auctions, all completed auctions includes every overpriced book that didn't sell. 

True, but the unsold books can be instructive as well (i.e. "There's a ton of copies of this book available for sale, but they won't move at $20+", etc.)  Unless it's an extremely common book that is going to yield way too many results to sift through, I'll usually include the unsold stuff just so I can get an idea of how many copies are in the marketplace at any given time. But this is definitely YMMV territory. I'd perfectly willing to admit that most folks aren't as compulsive as I am!

Edited by F For Fake

Along with the question 'how do I price my books?' is the question 'how do I grade my books'.  That takes a while to get down I suggest you practice in the hey buddy can you spare a grade forum.  Whatever you do do not just wing it and list the books on ebay with a grade like VF or 8.0 or something or you will quickly rack up a string of dissatisfied customers.