• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, ThatPovGuy said:

Really nice group there! B movies often had the sweet posters just to draw in the crowds! 

Much like comics, movie posters fit any budget - the above inserts I posted can be had for as little as five or ten dollars while you can find plenty of rarefied pieces to spend $100,000+ on, if so inclined, such as Dracula, Frankenstein, Metropolis, Phantom of the Opera, King Kong, etc.  :cloud9:

34 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Much like comics, movie posters fit any budget - the above inserts I posted can be had for as little as five or ten dollars while you can find plenty of rarefied pieces to spend $100,000+ on, if so inclined, such as Dracula, Frankenstein, Metropolis, Phantom of the Opera, King Kong, etc.  :cloud9:

I agree. I sold most of my collection in 2006. I had one example of all of the Universal original or Realart re-releases of horror/sci-fi as well as most of the Poverty Row studios. Lobby cards as well as various posters (window cards, inserts, half sheets and one sheets). I'm getting back into it again and am having a good time. Would love to see more of your collection! I'll post a few others over time. (Also getting into the Belgian window cards - really neat art and reasonable for many!

Edited by ThatPovGuy

2 minutes ago, ThatPovGuy said:

I agree. I sold most of my collection in 2006. I had one example all of the Universal original or Realart re-releases of horror/sci-fi as well as most of the Poverty Row studios. Lobby cards as well as various posters (window cards, inserts, half sheets and one sheets). I'm getting back into it again and am having a good time. Would love to see more of your collection! I'll post a few others over time. (Also getting into the Belgian window cards - really neat art and reasonable for many!

That was a pretty epic achievement - one that I'm sure will be more difficult at 2018 price levels to duplicate!

Besides one-sheets for '54 Forbidden, Perfect Woman, Girls in the Night, Juvenile Jungle, and Daddy-O, everything else is in a box. Unfortunately for me, I like one-sheets the best, followed by half-sheets, so space is naturally a problem. I go for graphics more than whether the movie was held in great regard. I'll see if I can find some pics. I thought I snapped a few on my cel a year or two ago.

What is your favorite size? I know a lot of people like Lobby cards, but I like the big logos and pop-art aspects more than the movie scenes themselves (part of the reason if I have a lobby card, it's likely a title card).  :shy:

I am fond of lobby cards. Next to that are inserts and window cards. While I love 1-sheets I agree re: the space.  I only have one 1-sheet left (1944 Universal JUNGLE CAPTIVE). Not so hot pic below along with a couple of window cards and lobbies. (I also collect African masks - you can see a couple there.)  I frame them myself which saves a lot of $$$.

jungle%20etc_zpsvb1g4aav.jpg

@ThatPovGuy @PopKulture Amazing stuff gentlemen, love movies from this era (especially Film Noir). And to have Horror pieces from the era is primo!

Eventually intend to close comic collecting out in two years (but not selling), and focus on building a small but desirable collection of posters and lobby cards. Too expensive ( for me anyway) to do both simultaneously.  

Edited by sagii

On 8/1/2017 at 6:45 PM, PopKulture said:

These totally bring back memories! I had a few of the ones you posted, but not on the cards! Bravo. I remember seeing Prudhomme race when I was a kid. The track where we would go most of the time is long gone and there are big $$$ homes there. Can't help but think there's more than one old car battery and some tranny oil under a few of those mansions. I think I still have a set of bagged Zowees, but that's about it.

LOVE nerv's Hot Wheels on blisters. Gorgeous stuff and very nice nice shape. I have a very small loose redlines collection I like to add to on occasion; add to that a lot of model cars (vintage and newer manufacture), coins, baseball cards. Oh and comics. I don't like to run out of things to collect! :D

..For @Robot Man who loves old toys and requested this post: Another one for the 'Looney Tunery! Won this from the recent Hakes Auction. Marx 1939 Porky Pig tin toy with wind up (and working!!)spinning umbrella and original box included! :cloud9: One of the earliest pieces of merchandising of the legendary Warner Bros characters

Of course this is now one of the center piece items of all my collectibles, Looney Tunes related or otherwise. 

IMG_4125.JPG

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

..For @Robot Man who loves old toys and requested this post: Another one for the 'Looney Tunery! Won this from the recent Hakes Auction. Marx 1939 Porky Pig tin toy with wind up (and working!!)spinning umbrella and original box included! :cloud9: One of the earliest pieces of merchandising of the legendary Warner Bros characters

Of course this is now one of the center piece items of all my collectibles, Looney Tunes related or otherwise. 

IMG_4125.JPG

That is spectacular :applause:

Original mounted/cabinet photographs from 1870 - 1910.  American occupational and storefront photographs have been a big interest of mine over the past few years.  Pardon the silly watermarks... I put them on there when I show photos in other forums or sell photos so that unscrupulous thieves don't lift the images to sell on eBay.

img302 copy2.jpg

img908 copy.jpg

img756 copy.jpg

img825 copy.jpg

img833 copy.jpg

img826 copy.jpg

Edited by *paull*

12 hours ago, sagii said:

IMG_4125.JPG

That is off the hook Corey! Yeah, you all know I love stuff like this. Just look at it. How could you not? Oh, and that beautiful box! The best part. Colorful and graphic on all sides and just impossible to get with this toy. Marx toys are always my favorite. Just an incredible score that you might never again see. Way to go boy, you did good!

10 hours ago, *paull* said:

Original mounted/cabinet photographs from 1870 - 1910.  American occupational and storefront photographs have been a big interest of mine over the past few years.  Pardon the silly watermarks... I put them on there when I show photos in other forums or sell photos so that unscrupulous thieves don't lift the images to sell on eBay.

img302 copy2.jpg

img908 copy.jpg

img756 copy.jpg

img825 copy.jpg

img833 copy.jpg

img826 copy.jpg

Great photos paull! These are great slices of early Americana. I especially like the garage photo with the Model T. I pick these up too when I find them at flea markets and estate sales. I like early motorcycle, baseball and interiors of stores with products and advertising. They are out there in boxes and fairly cheap. Gotta dig to find them but what a great feeling when I find a good one.

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Great photos paull! These are great slices of early Americana. I especially like the garage photo with the Model T. I pick these up too when I find them at flea markets and estate sales. I like early motorcycle, baseball and interiors of stores with products and advertising. They are out there in boxes and fairly cheap. Gotta dig to find them but what a great feeling when I find a good one.

Thanks!  I also collect photographs of store interiors, advertising and signage.  I never find good stuff like this cheap at flea markets...  only piles and piles of unidentified CDV and cabinet card portraits.  I attend multiple photograph and paper ephemera shows each year looking for material.  The above photographs are my for-sale inventory... I haven't yet scanned my own collection.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:11 AM, originalisbest said:

LOVE nerv's Hot Wheels on blisters. Gorgeous stuff and very nice nice shape. I have a very small loose redlines collection I like to add to on occasion; add to that a lot of model cars (vintage and newer manufacture), coins, baseball cards. Oh and comics. I don't like to run out of things to collect! :D

Here’s a cool variant on the original 16 (1968) carded cars. The Python (shown below with the later backing and new name) was originally going to be named Cheetah (shown below on the original backing on the Firebird car). So when buying the original 16 carded cars you’ll see it noted if it’s on a original “Cheetah card”. 

121E8F29-D4CE-4B13-8DC5-DC32A9F53D5D.thumb.jpeg.3d9de9150d0646145d1c0edd1e29d44a.jpegEC5A091A-949F-4812-B81C-843B5E0F1BFB.thumb.jpeg.4e86b373ab189437dc3a1e4027d314b6.jpeg

Later release backing.

B9DFC3E4-E086-40DB-BD2B-6647B0A754C3.thumb.jpeg.d257d99fe77cc550e04366c96a19185d.jpegC55AFF7A-F0AC-45B1-B002-2529E918B4D4.thumb.jpeg.3b3e840f6f8a0bf2b60737c0b33958b3.jpeg

Original “Cheetah card” backing.

14 hours ago, *paull* said:

1950s "exotica"-themed LPs.  I started collecting these in the mid-90s.  Love the music and the covers.

IMG_0370.JPG

Great group shots! I've always propped a few of these up on my record shelves. I never thought to specialize in them, as I'm really not a record collector. Being a lover of good graphics though, I've picked up lots of pre-1970 stuff over the years mostly for the covers. They're great decorator pieces.  (thumbsu