• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, *paull* said:

Original mounted/cabinet photographs from 1870 - 1910.  American occupational and storefront photographs have been a big interest of mine over the past few years.  Pardon the silly watermarks... I put them on there when I show photos in other forums or sell photos so that unscrupulous thieves don't lift the images to sell on eBay.

img908 copy.jpg

Wow, from these examples and your follow-up comment, it sounds like there's some serious overlap in our collecting tastes in these arenas! I love anything candid and occupational, and of course storefronts, Main Street, and good advertising. Since I collect so much junque, I don't hunt these aggressively, but now that I know maybe three of us (I'm counting on Robot Man) appreciate them, I'll have to post some of mine.

And you're so right: you have to rifle thru a lot of those boxes marked "instant ancestors" at flea markets or antique malls before you EVER find one of this quality. I guess the adage about kissing lots of frogs was spot on... 

13 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Wow, from these examples and your follow-up comment, it sounds like there's some serious overlap in our collecting tastes in these arenas! I love anything candid and occupational, and of course storefronts, Main Street, and good advertising. Since I collect so much junque, I don't hunt these aggressively, but now that I know maybe three of us (I'm counting on Robot Man) appreciate them, I'll have to post some of mine.

And you're so right: you have to rifle thru a lot of those boxes marked "instant ancestors" at flea markets or antique malls before you EVER find one of this quality. I guess the adage about kissing lots of frogs was spot on... 

I'd love to see what you have!  I'll try to scan a few from my personal collection.

Speaking of vintage photos. Here is one of the best ones I ever found at a flea market. I went through the box the guy had and found this one rolled up. Once I started unrolling it, I discovered this. A number of baseball hall of famers including one of the first 5 inducted. Spring training 1937 Colton, CA. Too bad it had all that writing on it   :devil:

piratesphoto1.jpg

piratesphoto2.jpg

piratesphoto3.jpg

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Speaking of vintage photos. Here is one of the best ones I ever found at a flea market. I went through the box the guy had and found this one rolled up. Once I started unrolling it, I discovered this. A number of baseball hall of famers including one of the first 5 inducted. Spring training 1937 Colton, CA. Too bad it had all that writing on it   :devil:

piratesphoto1.jpg

piratesphoto2.jpg

piratesphoto3.jpg

Ummm... yeah, too bad about all that writing. Now that it's all marked up, who would want such a thing?

What. A. Find.

5 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Here are a few examples I had at the ready:

35293377.80554e2a.1024.jpg

35294487.45d04aef.800.jpg

16557413.d36132b9.1024.jpg

36155956.a5d9eb55.1024.jpg

35293385.6a88ca9a.1024.jpg

35378963.3f04d9e2.1024.jpg

35378961.0838d564.1024.jpg

Wow, that's some fantastic stuff!  Yes, you and I have very similar taste!  Any information about the location of the tobacco store or railroad workers?

6 minutes ago, *paull* said:

Wow, that's some fantastic stuff!  Yes, you and I have very similar taste!  Any information about the location of the tobacco store or railroad workers?

The tobacco store is sadly unknown, but I think Chicago as there are a ton of Pocahontas cigar boxes, a pretty local brand to Chicago (yes, I collect those too). The railyard photo is south side of Chicago - that one I know since my grandfather is third from the left.

I have to find a leather-bound book of factory photos I bought years ago. All those dangerous overhead pulleys and belting and there are several photos with women workers - in white workclothes, of course.

3 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

The tobacco store is sadly unknown, but I think Chicago as there are a ton of Pocahontas cigar boxes, a pretty local brand to Chicago (yes, I collect those too). The railyard photo is south side of Chicago - that one I know since my grandfather is third from the left.

I have to find a leather-bound book of factory photos I bought years ago. All those dangerous overhead pulleys and belting and there are several photos with women workers - in white workclothes, of course.

I have a few Chicago-area photographs in my collection, but my focus is more rural living and storefronts in the 1870s - 1920.  That's great that you have a photograph of your grandfather working the railroad.  As you know, photographs like that aren't very common, so it must be a real treat to have one of a family member.  What's the date of that one?

4 minutes ago, *paull* said:

I have a few Chicago-area photographs in my collection, but my focus is more rural living and storefronts in the 1870s - 1920.  That's great that you have a photograph of your grandfather working the railroad.  As you know, photographs like that aren't very common, so it must be a real treat to have one of a family member.  What's the date of that one?

Even though it looks like it may not have enough detail, have you tried louping the calendars on the wall on the left of the tobacco store photograph?  I've been able to determine locations that way.

2 minutes ago, *paull* said:

I don't have it handy, but I know it's 1920's. I also have his union certificate. I am the de facto family historian including all my uncle's war photos. Very cool to have family ties. I have a few occupational photos of my other grandfather too: the best one shows him with all his co-workers in front of one of their Texaco trucks, for whom he drove for years.

Heck, I even like school photos from the 1800s to about the 1950's. It's fun to note the fashions, like spotting a Hopalong Cassidy sweater or such.  :cloud9:

1 minute ago, *paull* said:

Even though it looks like it may not have enough detail, have you tried louping the calendars on the wall on the left of the tobacco store photograph?  I've been able to determine locations that way.

The more prominent calendar is from Louis W Keyer, a manufacturer of empty cigar boxes from Dayton, Ohio. But any local roller of cigars would have stuff from larger jobbers, so who knows. The other calendars I would have to re-examine.

I collect guns, but am most fascinated with WWII infantry weapons.  I currently have an M1 Garand (1943 Springfield), a K98 Mauser (matching serial #'s, with Waffenamt stamps), and an FN HI-Power made under Nazi occupied Belgium.  Hard to get pictures of the rifles, but here is the FN, and an old Smith & Wesson police revolver.

Model 1905 4th change, S&W .38 special (mid 1930's)

20180416_212515.thumb.jpg.91cc217e995fdc6dc396a1c6a7c437b2.jpg

FN (Fabrique Nationale) Hi-Power, made under Nazi occupation, late 1941/early 1942.  In the close-up picture, you can see the Waffenamt stamp above the trigger housing.

20180416_212735.thumb.jpg.80e026af81e9c9d6b4dc60804d4d0a88.jpg

20180416_212853.thumb.jpg.b7acc286c9624d8867311b45ffb23bab.jpg

48 minutes ago, sportello said:

Collect guitars—don't ever start unless you're just flush with cash and patience.

I play electric guitars and own several. I wouldn’t say I collect them. Would like more, but mine are all vintage and yes they get pricey. Here are a couple I saw yesterday at the flea market. Played that sweet Gibson but didn’t have a spare 4K on me...:sorry:

6E5CDBB2-2857-436F-BC9C-778F6D25BB3D.jpeg

11 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Wow. it's amazing how small yet detailed that stamp is.

Yep.  Each separate piece of the pistol has a stamp.  The frame, the slide, and the barrel.  A lot of these have been cleaned, reblued, or had some piece (typically the grips or the magazine) replaced, but this one is all original.  Some dark history attached to it, but it's special in its own right.  If I could find a period correct holster for it, now that would be something.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, entalmighty1 said:

Yep.  Each separate piece of the pistol has a stamp.  The frame, the slide, and the barrel.  A lot of these have been cleaned, reblued, or had some piece (typically the grips or the magazine) replaced, but this one is all original.  Some dark history attached to it, but it's special in its own right.  If I could find a period correct holster for it, now that would be something.

Does the hi-power predate the Colt 1911 or did it come after? The design looks somewhat similar.